The Student Room Group

struggling in 1st year mathematics - time to quit?

I'm at UCL and we've just had our mid-sessional exams. Analysis 1, algebra 1, mathematics methods 1 and applied mathematics 1 (all found here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/courses/undergraduates). I personally studied for around two weeks before the start of the exams doing around 2-3 hours per day on average. I think I have gotten around 80% in Analysis 1, 70-80% on Algebra 1, 90% in mathematics methods, 50-60% in Applied Maths. I know these seem like bad grades, but this is my problem - there are many students who seem to just understand thing so well. For instance, today I had my algebra 1 exam, and I was trying to understand the basis theorem proof yesterday and I just could not understand it at all, I had to ask a lecturer this morning and even then, I don't think I fully understand it.

I know my applied mathematics grade is very low, but that's because I did not do many questions - rather than just read my notes; and I made a crucial error in the exam which may have cost me 15%.

I'm just wondering if I'm struggling this much right now - how hard will it be in the later years? If I can't instantly understand the basis theorem how will I even understand more complex theorems later on?

Overall, I enjoy what I'm learning, but if I don't come out with a first - I don't think I should stay on to be honest,

any advice on what to do please
Reply 1
Original post by mathsguy1
I'm at UCL and we've just had our mid-sessional exams. Analysis 1, algebra 1, mathematics methods 1 and applied mathematics 1 (all found here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/courses/undergraduates). I personally studied for around two weeks before the start of the exams doing around 2-3 hours per day on average. I think I have gotten around 80% in Analysis 1, 70-80% on Algebra 1, 90% in mathematics methods, 50-60% in Applied Maths. I know these seem like bad grades, but this is my problem - there are many students who seem to just understand thing so well. For instance, today I had my algebra 1 exam, and I was trying to understand the basis theorem proof yesterday and I just could not understand it at all, I had to ask a lecturer this morning and even then, I don't think I fully understand it.

I know my applied mathematics grade is very low, but that's because I did not do many questions - rather than just read my notes; and I made a crucial error in the exam which may have cost me 15%.

I'm just wondering if I'm struggling this much right now - how hard will it be in the later years? If I can't instantly understand the basis theorem how will I even understand more complex theorems later on?

Overall, I enjoy what I'm learning, but if I don't come out with a first - I don't think I should stay on to be honest,

nvm
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2

From what you've said, I think you're doing fine. You need to bear in mind that since 70% is a first then they expect you to drop down in marks a bit compared to at a-level.

Certainly do the questions that are set in future. It's easy to ignore them if they're not assessed (I don't know whether assignment sheets count for credit at UCl) but they really do help you understand the material, and exams are often based on these sheets. I have found this out myself the hard way.

Yes, it will get harder later on. On the other hand, if you don't know every single one of the proofs now then you should still manage. You might find that learning material later makes it seem easy. Or, later on they might just assume some theorems without proof.

Other people might give the impression that they understand things really well but then university isn't about comparing yourself to other people. You want to focus on meeting the grade boundaries.
Reply 3
About your comment: " if I don't come out with a first - I don't think I should stay on to be honest"

What is your alternative?
Reply 4
Original post by ttoby
From what you've said, I think you're doing fine. You need to bear in mind that since 70% is a first then they expect you to drop down in marks a bit compared to at a-level.

Certainly do the questions that are set in future. It's easy to ignore them if they're not assessed (I don't know whether assignment sheets count for credit at UCl) but they really do help you understand the material, and exams are often based on these sheets. I have found this out myself the hard way.

Yes, it will get harder later on. On the other hand, if you don't know every single one of the proofs now then you should still manage. You might find that learning material later makes it seem easy. Or, later on they might just assume some theorems without proof.

Other people might give the impression that they understand things really well but then university isn't about comparing yourself to other people. You want to focus on meeting the grade boundaries.

Thanks for the reply,

Original post by nohomo
About your comment: " if I don't come out with a first - I don't think I should stay on to be honest"

Work, or study another degree. I was deciding between a computer science or a mathematics degree to begin with, and choose mathematics.
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply,

Work, or study another degree. I was deciding between a computer science or a mathematics degree to begin with, and choose mathematics.

Given what you've said, I think you're capable of getting a first at the end of your degree. But suppose you get a 2.1 instead. You'd still be eligible for most graduate jobs - maybe some phd courses at really top universities might be out of your reach. However you'd be doing very well.

On the other hand, consider the consequences of dropping out. You will have wasted thousands of pounds as well as your own time. You have no guarantee that computer science would be easier either.

On balance, I think you should carry on.
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply,

Hah, this is quite funny. I'm doing Computing at ICL and feel the same way about it, and would much prefer to do Maths instead. I don't really enjoy the course though. Think very carefully about what you want to do!
Original post by nohomo

Thanks for the reply,

You've wasted more or less £9k already. Your grades aren't bad from my knowledge and like ttoby said a first is 70% anyway.

Though then again this is your choice because ultimately it affects you and not others. So do what you want. Seek for advice, yes, but don't let someone's advice be the reason. Like I said; it's your choice.

Also, I admire your desire to get a first, but a 2.1 isn't bad either.
Reply 8
What if you can't get a first when you study another degree?
Reply 9
All, you should be aware that this was originally posted at the beginning of last year so circumstances may have since changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest