The Student Room Group

OMG ... Help, I hate my FIRM, I want to go to my INSURANCE

Hello All,

I have flicked through the pages, and havent seen a reply. I am in a big muddle! I chose Loughborough as my FIRM offer and UCL as my INSURANCE; however, the problem is that I have just finished Summer School at KCL and I have fell in love with London.

I therefore came to the decision that I want to be at UCL to study, the degree course is better, and is more focused to what I want to do.

However, I don't know what to do. I need accommodation at UCL, and I know that I will not be guarenteed this if they are not my firm. What should I do?

I was thinking to call up UCAS tomorrow/Monday and dicuss the situation and then do as I am told. I really do not want to go to Loughborough!

Help! :mad:

Josh
X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jagdomar
Hello All,

I have flicked through the pages, and havent seen a reply. I am in a big muddle! I chose Loughborough as my FIRM offer and UCL as my INSURANCE; however, the problem is that I have just finished Summer School at KCL and I have fell in love with London.

I therefore came to the decision that I want to be at UCL to study, the degree course is better, and is more focused to what I want to do.

However, I don't know what to do. I need accommodation at UCL, and I know that I will not be guarenteed this if they are not my firm. What should I do?

I was thinking to call up UCAS tomorrow/Monday and dicuss the situation and then do as I am told. I really do not want to go to Loughborough!

Help! :mad:

Josh
X

You can phone UCAS to reject the Loughborough offer or contact the university directly so that they reject you. Im not sure if youll be able to make UCL firm though. Theyll probably remain as an insurance and seeing as youve been rejected from Loughborough, you will end up there should you make the grades.
Go Jag go
go where you will be happy
Well... if you phone UCL up and tell them you're scrapping your offer at Loughborough (and then do it, of course), they might just treat you as if they're your firm choice. Tell them what you told us, and don't hold back on the emotion :p: - tell them you've just been to London and loved it and, consequently, you no longer even want to consider your firm choice, as UCL is the only place for you. They might just melt a bit. Try it, at least before you get your results!
Reply 4
You'll have to contact Loughborough first to tell them about your decision. They don't HAVE to release you from the contract, but in all likelihood, they will, because few universities would want to admit students who're not passionate about the course offered at that institution. You'll also have to contact the UCL Admissions Office about this matter so that they can edit your profile on their database. UCAS will be able to sort out the details on Track for you. I read somewhere that UCAS does not allow universities to edit applications after 01Aug, so you'd have to hurry with this, especially considering the bureaucracy and red tape in such matters.
Reply 5
You have to call LB and ask them to release you. You cannot unilaterally decline them at this point of time. Do so NOW.
Reply 6
I read somewhere that UCAS does not allow universities to edit applications after 01Aug
Yes, this is right. So as a general reminder to everyone, any deferral requests, change in course requests, etc, should be submitted before this date. Preferably now, so that universities will have the time to carefully evaluate your request.
Reply 7
Thank you all so much for you help ... I am sooo grateful.

I am going to phone LB on Monday and send a written confirmation letter, and I will also phone UCL and send a written confirmation; then I will phone UCAS and explain the situation and hopefully they can make UCL my firm, as I desperatly need accommodation in Halls at UCL

Josh
X

PS : I'll keep you updated!
Reply 8
Hi All, Hope you are all well, and enjoying the hot weather.

I phoned Loughborough and asked to be released, and they were ok with it. I just had to send them an e-amil with my reasons.

I then phoned UCL, and OMG, they were sooo scary. The lady was a cow. She said, how an unusual number of people placed UCL as their firm, and how she will have to speak to the Course Director. She then said that I need to phone back tomorrow.

I am a lil scared, but I think it should all be ok. Because I have been released from my FIRM, and therefore the next point of call is my INSURACE that is UCL. The problem is that I want to live in Halls at UCL, so I don't know what they will say.

Josh
Reply 9
Can i not wait till results day?
Reply 10
let us know how the second phone call to UCL went!!!
Reply 11

Heya all, UPDATE!!

Well, I phoned UCL yesterday, but to be honest I am none the wiser. I don't know if she is going to see if it can be done. She just seemed very negative. I do not want to go to Loughborough at all, and I really want to go to UCL. UCL is also my lower offer, and I should make the grades. I had a great interview there, and quite frankly I don't see why I won't get in. I think that the main problem is that I will get the grades for my FIRM, which stands as Loughborough at the moment, and I really do not want to go there, as I said.

Loughborough have been fine about releasing me and contacting UCAS, but it is UCL who have put a spanner in the works.

Whaty do you all suggest? Do you think that speaking to the Course Director directly either my parents or I, could push things along. I really want to have clarity on this situation by Friday, as I know the 14 day thing, and the 1st August deadline.

Thanks for all your support!

Josh
X
Reply 12

So you are basically saying that if Loughborough contact UCAS regarding a release, that UCL will automatically become my FIRM?

Josh
X
Reply 13

Oh excellent, that is fantastic news.

I thought that if I was realeased from Loughborough that UCL would have to agree to being my FIRM.

I just contacted the accommodation department at UCL, and she said that I need to apply for accommodation at UCL asap. I'm going to sort that out.

I've been trying to get in contact with UCAS for the whole day, but their number is down for 'staff training' - In the middle of July?

Is there anything else I shuold note?

Josh
X
Reply 14
PQ
UCAS "accidentally" rejected a bunch of people they shouldn't have yesterday - they managed to put all the mistakes back to how they were but I imagine things are a little frantic there still today:wink:

Have you applied for a student loan/fee loan etc etc? If so you'll need to fill in a change of circumstances form to let them know you're going somewhere else (and as you're going from a non london to a london uni you'll get a higher rate student loan:smile:)

Interesting. 'Accidentally rejected' people from doing what?
Reply 15

I just phoned UCAS and spoke to a rep. She checked my account, and said that Loughborough had contacted them and said that they were fine to released me. However, she said that they had not heard from UCL, and that without hearing from them, that they would not be able to do the swap.

I do not particuarly want to phone UCL again, as I have phoned everyday this week.

UCL did say that they recieved a high number of FIRM acceptances, but I don't know it 1 person would really mess up figures.

It is just getting over that admissions tutor! I feel like Seth from The OC (stress)!

Any suggestions in what I should do?

Josh
X
Reply 16
jagdomar
I just phoned UCAS and spoke to a rep. She checked my account, and said that Loughborough had contacted them and said that they were fine to released me. However, she said that they had not heard from UCL, and that without hearing from them, that they would not be able to do the swap.

I do not particuarly want to phone UCL again, as I have phoned everyday this week.

UCL did say that they recieved a high number of FIRM acceptances, but I don't know it 1 person would really mess up figures.

It is just getting over that admissions tutor! I feel like Seth from The OC (stress)!

Any suggestions in what I should do?

Josh
X

Ew, that looks like a sticky situation. But really, as long as you meet UCL's offers, they *have* to accept you. It's just a formality when it comes to UCL appearing as your FIRM choice on Track, I think.

PQ, shouldn't the switch be automatic?
Reply 17
Hey all,

I spoke to the Faculty Office for The Bartlett at UCL, where I am going to study. I seem to get through to the same lady each time I phone!

The problem is that I think I will meet Loughboroughs conditions, and that I will then have to go there .... which is not what I want. My parents are looking for private accommodatin via the University of London, so that is not a problem, but I really want to know what is going to happen.

So, an overview;

1. Loughborough are fine about releasing me, and have contacted UCAS.
2. UCL seem to be dragging their feet, and are not telling me what they are going to do.

I asked the lady that if I was released from Loughborough if my results woudl automatically go to UCL, but she said no.

What do all advise?

Josh
Reply 18

Hello again,

I just checked the thread, and will phone UCL Central Admissions tomorrow, and hopefully they will not be awkward.

So did you say that I should contact Loughborough and ask them to reject me?

Josh
X
Reply 19
PQ
if central UCL admissions are obstructive too then contact loughborough again and see if they'd be willing to reject you even though you're likely to get the grades as a way to force UCL to accept you.

(starting to wonder why you don't want to go to loughborough when they're being so helpful and UCL are being awkward buggers:wink:)

UCAS will allow LB to reject him despite meeting the offer requirements? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending