The Student Room Group

PhD ....for a Quant?

How important is having a pHd for a quant postion in any IBD sector though also specifically for hedge funds ( i hear they wont look at you seriously at all without a phd)

also alot of people have been telling em about a masters in financial engineering. is this a common route for quants?

Say someone did maths at oxford and then the part III masters at cambridge and did the fairly relevant modules like stochastic financial derivatives, partial differential equations, statistic ones. Is that sufficient...i heard top hedge funds target cambridge graduates, but what about those without a phd. im considering quantitative analyst position but dont want to do a phd, i want to get out into the job by then, but have it be largely mathematical and interesting still/

also what is salary like for quants. I heard in IB generally you start off at 40-50k and can move up to 100k easily within 3 years (incl. bonuses) and can make into the millions if you move up and this happens in a short amount of time. Is this the same for quants?

Also is knowledge of C++ and other programming languages essential

Outside of academia, what is looked for in a quant. And would a Warwick MMorse degree be useful prepartion and then going on to a phd maybe in financial mathematics, or would imperial maths be a better choice for quant?

thanks
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending