The Student Room Group

Driving theory test

So basically I am planning to get my driving licence and I just have some questions...........

Is there something like a specification or a list of the stuff I need to know?
Book recommendations?
How long before you took the theory test?
How did you go about learning the theory?
Any general advice on how I can pass the theory test?
I took mine within 3 months :smile: I got a book of questions and did them all and wrote out the things I didn't know, I found that most of it was common sense + I did hazard perception once before my test, you just need to know the rules of it really :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took mine after about a month. One part is multiple choice which is mostly common sense but there are some harder questions, so you should download a study app or something as you may need to learn specific figures and facts.

The hazard perception is pretty straightforward, but I'd recommend revising for that too, I didnt and I found it slightly hard to grasp as it was the first time seeing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ysky
So basically I am planning to get my driving licence and I just have some questions...........

Is there something like a specification or a list of the stuff I need to know?
Book recommendations?
How long before you took the theory test?
How did you go about learning the theory?
Any general advice on how I can pass the theory test?

Take the theory test whenever you feel you ]r ready really.
It might be worth getting a highway code to look through. Also, get one of the theory test disks, as they usually have all the multiple choice questions and hazard perception tests on.
Moved to the Learning To Drive section :smile:
Reply 5
Theory can be done in a couple days. Just get the DVD and memorize the answers.
Reply 6
Theory doesn't take long at all, I got a CD to learn from and did the practice test once to see where my knowledge was. Read the book once over and did the test again, and again and again until I consistently got above 43 marks. In general the multiple choice is just general logic and some facts you need to know like emergency situations or mot etc etc.

Hazard perception. Same principal, kept doing it til I learnt the general similarities of when a hazard occurred. In town it would either be a crossing, stupid driver, big vehicle, cyclist, narrow cars etc. in countryside, narrow roads, floods, meeting traffic etc. keep doing it til you know you're ready.

You can do your test then, anytime you're ready. Just keep practicing and you'll do fine - it's really easy - good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Study_Guru
Theory doesn't take long at all, I got a CD to learn from and did the practice test once to see where my knowledge was. Read the book once over and did the test again, and again and again until I consistently got above 43 marks. In general the multiple choice is just general logic and some facts you need to know like emergency situations or mot etc etc.

Hazard perception. Same principal, kept doing it til I learnt the general similarities of when a hazard occurred. In town it would either be a crossing, stupid driver, big vehicle, cyclist, narrow cars etc. in countryside, narrow roads, floods, meeting traffic etc. keep doing it til you know you're ready.

You can do your test then, anytime you're ready. Just keep practicing and you'll do fine - it's really easy - good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which DVD?
Reply 8
Original post by Ysky
Which DVD?

Driving Test Success
Reply 9
does anyone know where I can find the syllabus?
I've tried finding the syllabus for the lessons however, no luck so far, different driving school teach slight differently from what I can gather.

As for theory, get a copy of the highway code and the Driving Test Success DVD as the theory practice and Hazard Perception were quite good :biggrin:

I did my theory last month and passed first time with using the DVD and reading the highway code, personally I think the Hazard Perception part of the test is easier when you've done a few lessons because you learn what exactly can be an issue for you on the road and will probably come across silly drivers.

The lesson before my theory test we had road works, a wet road, a cyclist, a mobility scooter and Cars jumping the lights and cutting across even though they shouldn't have because I had priority...brilliant practice tbh.

I Got my provisional license in August, first lesson early October and the theory late December but its when you feel you are ready really

Good Luck!! :biggrin:
Reply 11
That DVD which everyone keeps saying about is probably the only thing I would get. I honestly just sat on that the day before for about 5 hours repeatedly doing the practice tests until I knew it all. I passed so don't see why that wouldn't work for anyone else. A lot of it is just common sense anyway.

Just make sure you are pretty certain that you will pass your practical test in the forseeable future. When I passed my theory I was a terribly nervous driver who gave up 5 months later. 2 years down the line and I'm driving again but I have to resit my theory which is £30 down the drain!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending