The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by matang1
You get a max of 100 for Unit 1, 140 for Unit 2, and 60 for CHEM3

Then it's 80% for an A, 70% for a B

I'm gonna need like full marks in CHEM2 for an A. Ah well, a B was my original target in Chemistry... and 100 out of 140 UMS in CHEM2 is achievable if I don't screw up silly things.
I hated it at the time but I learnt all the tests for the EMPA exam so hopefully my brain can remember them even if that was 3 weeks ago lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
What annoyed me most about unit 1 was the amount of awkward one-mark questions, so if you make one small mistake, you automatically get 0.
Reply 63
There's a really easy way to memorise the mechanisms.. actually understand what's going on, understand what arrows mean, what electrophiles/nucleophiles do, what addition means, what substitution means, and from that you can work out each mechanism without having to memorise the arrows and whatnot, in the exam if they give you something different that you haven't seen before, you'll crumble if you don't actually understand what's going on.. also takes less time to understand it than to write it out thousands of time.. if you understand it you can do it with anything, and do it much quicker :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Lash
There's a really easy way to memorise the mechanisms.. actually understand what's going on, understand what arrows mean, what electrophiles/nucleophiles do, what addition means, what substitution means, and from that you can work out each mechanism without having to memorise the arrows and whatnot, in the exam if they give you something different that you haven't seen before, you'll crumble if you don't actually understand what's going on.. also takes less time to understand it than to write it out thousands of time.. if you understand it you can do it with anything, and do it much quicker :smile:

I think this applies with a lot of things. Like if you understand alot of the stuff you can almost work it out on the day but it is difficult to get a grasp on some of the ideas
Reply 65
Original post by @Star_19
hey

anyone got any revision tips for this chem2

i find it so difficult

Just do all the past papers and read through the whole textbook carefully so that you understand everything
I'm really dreading the chem 2 exam.. I want to do my Chemistry degree with a year in industry, so this is a biggie for me! I just feel like a lot of the things I've revised more than a few times just aren't going in my head :frown:
Reply 67
I'm doing this exam! Retaking it after embarassingly failing it last year. Also why is the Full UMS boundary so freaking high?!?!
Reply 68
Original post by kayleighjadex
I'm really dreading the chem 2 exam.. I want to do my Chemistry degree with a year in industry, so this is a biggie for me! I just feel like a lot of the things I've revised more than a few times just aren't going in my head :frown:

Same! Basically I have about 10 days to become a CHEM2 god. Chemistry is lovely but it's so hard! Chemistry degree sounds splendid! Veterinary Medicine for me hopefully :smile:
Original post by Myosin
Same! Basically I have about 10 days to become a CHEM2 god. Chemistry is lovely but it's so hard! Chemistry degree sounds splendid! Veterinary Medicine for me hopefully :smile:

Exactly, it's stressful! Aw thank you, that sounds brill! Good Luck!
Original post by kayleighjadex

You will be fine, I'm hoping to do Chemistry with a Year in Industry this September! Dreading my CHEM4 and CHEM5, but if there's anything you need help with, you can ask me and I'll help (seeing as I still have to know CHEM2 stuff for my exams) :smile:
Brilliant, thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys has anyone done the June 11 chem 2 paper
For 3fi) the mark scheme doesn't say anything about whether to accept or penalise displayed formula
Does anyone know if we would get the mark for drawing the displayed formula instead of structural formula ? Thanx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also can anyone explain why question 8a is NaCl and not NaBr
Because it says a cream precipitate was formed so isn't that typical of NaBr
This for the June 11 paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by aishaahmed96
Also can anyone explain why question 8a is NaCl and not NaBr
Because it says a cream precipitate was formed so isn't that typical of NaBr
This for the June 11 paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it mention anywhere about an excess of ammonia?
That is the question
It simply mentions cream precipitate which should be NaBr :/
Doesn't say anything about excess ammonia

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's talking about the yellow precipitate that remained, shouldn't that be sodium iodide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well the first question refers to the sodium iodide then it asks for the other sodium halide in the mixture which should be NaBr becoz in the table it says cream precipitate but the mark scheme says it's NaCl
So I'm super confused :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending