*hands groan award to Lucy*

:frown:

It's a good law quote! Honest! :rolleyes:
Reply 21
LucyMP
:frown:

It's a good law quote! Honest!
:rolleyes:

That would be a lie. Hardly what one would expect from a future officer of the court :p:
Reply 22
LucyMP
"I fought the law and the law won" - The Clash :p:

Yeah, that could work actually. It leads on nicely to my 1st paragraph, in which I explain that my personal experiences of the subject stemmed my interest - such as receiving an ASBO.
Reply 23
Serenity
Yeah, that could work actually. It leads on nicely to my 1st paragraph, in which I explain that my personal experiences of the subject stemmed my interest - such as receiving an ASBO.

I'd not mention the ASBO if I were you
Reply 24
Serenity

Haha. Nice.
In the opening paragraph of my personal statement, I used a quote from Glanville Williams (learning the Law): "Law is the cement of society and an essential medium for change"
it looked good i thought, but perhaps a bit too simple. I didn't read the book in full at the time and in fact the quote is from the first couple of pages that I did read.
Reply 26
superdillon
I used a quote from Glanville Williams (learning the Law): "Law is the cement of society and an essential medium for change"
it looked good i thought, but perhaps a bit too simple.

not to mention slightly kissarsey :p:
Reply 27
''If you invite a person into your house to use the staircase, you do not invite him to slide down the bannisters"
Reply 28
cottonmouth
Please, DO NOT use quotes- especially to start the piece. The way Profesh does it is okay i suppose, but to put a quote at the beginning is, according to King's College lecturers, and the admissions tutor's at Oxford, very cheesy. I went to an Oxbridge day when i was considering going there last year, and the admissions guy said that hundreds of people start with a quote, and they find it eye-rolling. He said some of them are so cheesy that they even laugh out loud.

Just try to be innovative, clever, and funny, and you'll be fine. I have to say, my personal statemnet couldn't be further from Profesh's, and i got my offers fine. Didn't use any big words, was plain and honest, and it really showed my passion for learning Law. Don't start with a quote.

I agree about not starting with a quote - unless MAYBE it's one that you've come across before and actually means something to you - don't put one in for the sake of putting one in.

That said - i chose to start my PS with a question that came up in a philosophy course i took at university, that has always stayed with me - and went from there - "does time exist?" - seems odd, i know, but it's something ive explored in detail and allowed me to discuss the pro's of my first degree in relation to a law degree.

Best of luck!
why not start with a definition and link it to how relevant law is in modern society.
Reply 30
As my own P.S. (hopefully) exemplifies, there's nothing 'wrong' with deploying an occasional quotation; just don't begin with one.
As my own P.S. (hopefully) exemplifies, there's nothing 'wrong' with deploying an occasional quotation; just don't begin with one.
It's risky in any case, but yours was well within context and exapnded upon. And you probably put more thought into it than to simply start a "good quotes" thread on TSR :rolleyes:

And I don't imagine there's that many people that can pull off the extensive thesarus use either.
Reply 32
Dreama
I would avoid quotes.

i second that!
studying law involves a degree of quotations so why not start as u mean to go on lol
Reply 34
desmondmac
studying law involves a degree of quotations so why not start as u mean to go on lol

Using quotes in your essays wastes space. It's far better not to use them.

Latest

Trending

Trending