The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Is SOAS harsh ?

I got an offer for AAB at SOAS for history, However i feel like this almost impossible for me to achieve. As I believe the highest grades I could get, realistically are ABB

So what would be my chances if I miss out by 1 grade ?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Depends on the competition this year and the amount of applicants who fail to meet their offers. You have a chance though if you get ABB. SOAS is a very good University though so Good Luck! :smile:
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
I applied to SOAS last year for history too. On results day I got BBB and I still got in ^.^
I've spoken to people on my course who got ACC and BBC. So tbh, I don't think your chances are lowered.
Reply 3
Original post by BritishAbi
I applied to SOAS last year for history too. On results day I got BBB and I still got in ^.^
I've spoken to people on my course who got ACC and BBC. So tbh, I don't think your chances are lowered.

That's really sad to be honest. SOAS used to be one of the best universities in this country :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by 2ndClass
That's really sad to be honest. SOAS used to be one of the best universities in this country :frown:

I think it's because they haven't had as many applicants for certain courses- history being one of them. SOAS isn't *that* well known (I actually found out about it accidentally), so I guess they take what they can get.
Also, faculties increase the amount of desired students and departments struggle to reach the new criteria.

When?
Reply 6
Original post by TurboCretin
When?

It used to be consistently the 5th best university in the country during the late 90s early 2000s, then it just went downhill. They started taking in anyone, creating a ton of pointless degrees etc
(edited 10 years ago)
It used to be consistently the 5th best university in the country during the late 90s early 2000s, then it just went downhill. They started taking in anyone, creating a ton of pointless degrees etc

Hmm. Well, maybe the move to Senate House next year will help boost the university's status.
I thought that SOAS handed out offers on how good your braids are though :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending