The Student Room Group

Is abortion okay???????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
. People are free to do what they want

Unfortunately very few pro-lifers hold this particular stance. They are a singularly unfortunate group of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough. I am not 'imposing' my views on other people. I am giving my opinion. If someone chooses to abort their child I am not saying I have the right to tell them its wrong. People are free to do what they want

That is exactly what you're doing! You're saying that someone should not have the right to an abortion just because you don't agree with it.
Original post by MoneypennyLyon
Yes but you are not entitled to force your opinion on others. Especially considering that factually your argument is crap.

How does that make any sense. If you do not want to hear peoples opinions then do not click on a thread about a debatable topic :s-smilie: I have not said that everybody should never have an abortion. I have said in many cases I think abortion is ok.
I don't agree with abortion but can understand it in cases of rape or where the life of the mother is endangered.

It is possible to put the baby up for adoption once born, babies are in demand and always will be.
I think people that come up with this argument is just using it as an excuse. A man masturbating by himself will not cause a baby. Women having her period is a natural thing. However when a male and female have sex, they know that there is a chance for pregnancy to occur. I am not against contraception. I am not saying all sperm should be saved. But when a female first gets pregnant and there is a good chance that the baby will be healthy then having a abortion isn't right. You are depriving giving a chance of life. Even if people are not ready to raise a child there are hundreds of families wanting to adopt, especially from birth.

You have to think about what kind of life you're ending though. Which is better, a child the parents didn't want/couldn't afford/don't love or a child who was born at the right time and cared for in the right way? if people are forced to have a kid when they don't want to they're never (unless they're lucky) going to have the time/financial stability to have another and do it right.

Also don't kid yourself, there are definitely not hundreds of happy families waiting to adopt.
That is exactly what you're doing! You're saying that someone should not have the right to an abortion just because you don't agree with it.

How am I saying this? I apologize if you are misinterpreting what I am saying. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I am telling people they shouldn't do it. If my friend chooses to have an abortion and askes my opinion then I will tell her I don't agree with it. however I wouldn't stop her. I would still help her through it and support her even if I don't agree with the decision she's made as it's not my business and is her choice.
How does that make any sense. If you do not want to hear peoples opinions then do not click on a thread about a debatable topic :s-smilie: I have not said that everybody should never have an abortion. I have said in many cases I think abortion is ok.

Oh I think it's great you have an opinion. I just don't think that you should be trying to dictate whether or not other people have an abortion.

And by the way the original post was about whether or not we should be killing babies and if it was the same as abortion, not if you agreed with it.
Reply 47
Original post by turboweevil
You have to think about what kind of life you're ending though. Which is better, a child the parents didn't want/couldn't afford/don't love or a child who was born at the right time and cared for in the right way? if people are forced to have a kid when they don't want to they're never (unless they're lucky) going to have the time/financial stability to have another and do it right.

Also don't kid yourself, there are definitely not hundreds of happy families waiting to adopt.

Aren't there? I'm pretty sure new borns are in high demand. It's the developed children bringing down the figures right?
How am I saying this? I apologize if you are misinterpreting what I am saying. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I am telling people they shouldn't do it. If my friend chooses to have an abortion and askes my opinion then I will tell her I don't agree with it. however I wouldn't stop her. I would still help her through it and support her even if I don't agree with the decision she's made as it's not my business and is her choice.

"But when a female first gets pregnant and there is a good chance that the baby will be healthy then having a abortion isn't right."

You are telling people they should not have an abortion as you don't think it is justified. I don't know how else that could interpreted.
Abortion's fine by me. I don't really think the embryo really cares whether it lives or dies. Also, it's simply not my place to tell someone what to do/ what not to do with their bodies. It's up to them. Besides, they'll probably feel guilty enough without someone telling them how awful abortion is.
Original post by turboweevil

I am thinking about it. I have already said obviously in many situations abortion is ok. I don't understand if two people are having sex and don't want a child then why don't they use contraception. There are loads of different forms of contraception. And yes there are many people not wanting to adopt older children but many families want to adopt from birth.
Reply 51
What IS wrong with abortion? I believe that as long as the it's in the woman, it's part of the woman. Anyway, not all women are sluts and most DO love their children - abortion is going to be a hard choice and not an impulse decision! Furthermore, what IS the point of having a kid who's only going to suffer? And perhaps because of this suffering, the child may become a "bad" person. It's not just a case of "oh accept the consequences" because it's not just YOU accepting them, everyone around you, including the child, is going to be affected!
"But when a female first gets pregnant and there is a good chance that the baby will be healthy then having a abortion isn't right."

You are telling people they should not have an abortion as you don't think it is justified. I don't know how else that could interpreted.

Yes I am saying I don't think it is right if they are adults and the baby is healthy. However just because I personally don't think it's right doesn't mean I am telling them not to do it. Is their decision.
I am thinking about it. I have already said obviously in many situations abortion is ok. I don't understand if two people are having sex and don't want a child then why don't they use contraception. There are loads of different forms of contraception. And yes there are many people not wanting to adopt older children but many families want to adopt from birth.

But even the most reliant contraception is only 99% effective.
Reply 54
Original post by hedwig8
What IS wrong with abortion? I believe that as long as the it's in the woman, it's part of the woman. Anyway, not all women are sluts and most DO love their children - abortion is going to be a hard choice and not an impulse decision! Furthermore, what IS the point of having a kid who's only going to suffer? And perhaps because of this suffering, the child may become a "bad" person. It's not just a case of "oh accept the consequences" because it's not just YOU accepting them, everyone around you, including the child, is going to be affected!

It baffles me that so many people can't comprehend this...
Original post by lovelycup7
In what situation at any age would you be able to remember being aborted? :confused:

Hah, it was meant to be a kind of joke of a thought experiment.

What I mean is that I can't at all remember the first few months of my being alive, so even if I were killed in those times, it could arguably be considered as a moral abortion.
Yes I am saying I don't think it is right if they are adults and the baby is healthy. However just because I personally don't think it's right doesn't mean I am telling them not to do it. Is their decision.

Would you judge someone for having an abortion? Do you think it should be outlawed?

I don't actually understand why you think you think that a woman keeping an unwanted baby would be good for anyone.
But even the most reliant contraception is only 99% effective.

Yes, and it would be very rare for someone to get pregnant just by that 1%

Lot's of people are quoting me and saying how wrong I am in thinking this. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I am sorry if you do not agree with my personal opinion. I have already said in many cases that I think abortions are ok. Obviously if someone has been raped/they are very young/they are not in the situation where they could financially support the child etc. then I am not saying that these people having a abortion is wrong. However I do think if two adults have sex and are foolish enough not to use contraception then they should have thought about that beforehand.

I am not saying everyone should agree with me, I am not imposing my opinion on everyone else. I am not judging people who do have abortions. Just because I do not agree with something doesn't mean I have the right to tell them not to do it. I am not dictating to how people should live their life. If people do not want to hear other peoples personal opinions then what was the point clicking on this thread in the first place just to criticise :s-smilie:
Original post by Pessimisterious
Hah, it was meant to be a kind of joke of a thought experiment.

What I mean is that I can't at all remember the first few months of my being alive, so even if I were killed in those times, it could arguably be considered as a moral abortion.

Hahah I think I knew what you were getting at, I was just being annoyingly pedantic :tongue: That is an interesting thought!
Original post by Monkey.Man
what about
1) rape
2) a fundamental change of mind
3) the fact that the child will be born with a very significant defect
3) an unforeseeable change in economic circumstances
4) an unforeseeable change in mental health/psychological circumstances
5) an unforeseeable change in medical circumstances?

I said with someone else rape is an entirely different situation, you're not having sex with someone you're forced out of your own will, and that decision should be up to the female herself
2. defect- I would never abort my child because of this, I'd be thankful that I'm able to have a child and will know that the child will be even more loved because of their imperfections
As for the others thats something you'd discuss with your partner and so on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending