The Student Room Group

Gay pride parades are stupid [Mod edit: Misleading title]

Apologies for the provocative title =P .

Let me first point out that I have absolutely no problem with homosexuality. Nor do I have any problem about people being open about their sexual orientation (I'm aware this sounds as if I'm saying something analogous to 'I'm not racist but...', but please continue reading).

That said I do have an issue with gay pride parades. Or that should be: I have an issue with several aspects of gay pride parades in their current form.

Gay pride parades are big, loud, flamboyant, and are full of things that have absolutely nothing to do with being gay/lesbian. They have a sizeable number of people attending them who openly display almost every negative stereotype about the gay lifestyle you could imagine.

My problem with this is that I think it's incredibly damaging to the gay rights movement for two semi-related reasons:

Firstly it promotes/perpetuates negative stereotypes about gay people. Stereotypes that I'm sure for the vast majority just aren't true. Things such as gay people all being incredibly promiscuous for example.

And secondly it conflates homosexuality with these negative stereotypes. It implants an idea within peoples minds that to be accepting of homosexuality you have to be accepting of all these negative stereotypes as well (and quite simply the fact is you don't). And so I'd wager it causes more people to be at odds with the idea of accepting homosexuality because they're unwilling to be accepting of all these other things that pride parades have on show.

Also. I think organisers need to be mindful that for some people this might be the only time they are knowingly coming across LGBT people. And to be honest I think if this was the only perception of LGBT people that you'd ever come across. I think it's in some ways not completely unexpected that some people have negative views towards homosexuality. The organisers of these things really do need to be more aware of what message they're putting across here, and how they're actually affecting the fight for gay rights.

Sorry if that wasn't overly clear/was a bit rantish, but I am genuinely concerned that pride parades are simply doing more harm than good for the gay rights movement.

Anyway what are your thoughts?
(edited 10 years ago)
Gay pride things are just a way of making it easier for closet homosexuals come out and feel confident that society won't ostracise them.

If a bunch of puffters can charge about making lots of noise and celebrating their gayness in public, then this might make some teenager coming to terms with their sexuality more comfortable with themselves - which is a good thing.
Reply 2
Firstly it promotes/perpetuates negative stereotypes about gay people.

If you see them as inherently negative, perhaps... but they are often very accurate stereotypes of some gay people. That isn't 'negative', it's freaking fun. To see it as negative, to think that the rest of Pride is 'embarrassed' because of queens/camps/effeminate male gays or the opposites for gay women, is not up to you and yes, is slightly homophobic.

I agree there is confusion behind what is homophobia and what is simply not liking the certain campness and flamboyance presented by some lgbt people. However I think that is simply irrelevant. This is not a situation in which the heterosexuals' feelings need to be spared just so they don't have to be tentative of appearing homophobic. The pros of gay pride and of the event of gay pride are vast and, in my opinion, freaking wonderful;

I love Pride. I feel so, so happy at Pride. I see it as such a brilliant celebration of how far lgbt community has come, and when I attend I am drawn into that happy feeling instantly; there is nothing negative about the Prides I've been to - it is pure happiness, love, and excitement, and lots of beautiful people. The only negativity I've seen comes from homophobia within the festivals, often intentionally hostile to create arguments and tension.

Every day is a day for heterosexual people to celebrate being straight - everything is predominantly aimed at them, society is sculpted for them, no-one looks if they kiss in public or hold hands in public or celebrate their hetero status. Finally people are becoming more accepting of lgbt people doing the same, however it still isn't quite there. Pride is a day or several days for people to really go mad with their lgbt loving, to really celebrate what they are and who they are. It is to show people they aren't 'going anywhere' because yes, to some people that still needs to be made clear. It is to unify people - you don't have to be lgbt to go to Pride! By creating something so brilliant and fun for everyone to join in, Pride welcomes heteros who may be 'wary' and who may have incorrect preconceptions of the community. It brings them in and usually shows them a good time (or could even serve to them their own homophobic opinion).

You and many others may think there is no reason for them to do it all - and that is 'stupid'. There is every reason for the community to celebrate how far they have come and to show fearlessness in the face of many homophobic obstacles through Pride. Criticising how they do it, saying they could just 'tone it down' a bit so as not to encourage negative stereotyping, is somewhat homophobic, whether you want it to be or not.

Who does Pride harm? What does it do wrong? Nothing. It, in my opinion, is only full of messy OTT brilliance, fun, and incredibly encouraging confidence. It's inspiring. I am so happy it exists and have never thought it 'stupid', though certainly pity those who do because they cannot see the massive joy of it. As said above - the fact that it encourages many young lgbt people to embrace themselves and/or come out is absolutely invaluable.
(edited 10 years ago)
At least they demonstrate that people are allowed to be gay. To be free to live your life as you see fit is one of the most worth-celebrating and worth-defending things in the world. A country full of gay pride parades is far, far preferable to one where they are banned.
Reply 4
Original post by Classical Liberal
Gay pride things are just a way of making it easier for closet homosexuals come out and feel confident that society won't ostracise them.

If a bunch of puffters can charge about making lots of noise and celebrating their gayness in public, then this might make some teenager coming to terms with their sexuality more comfortable with themselves - which is a good thing.

Oh absolutely. I do not doubt for a second that pride parades do good. And I didn't say that they didn't. What I'm saying is what message are you trying to put accross to people, and what are you wanting people to become accepting of.

Because when you have (to use an extreme example) S&M in the context of a gay pride parade guess what? People conflate the two (rationally or not), and have the idea implanted in their heads that to be accepting of homosexuality they must also be accepting of S&M. This is not the case, but like it or not this is the message that you are sending to some people.
Yeah I don't really get the point of them :dontknow:
I do agree with the points that you've addressed, but if it's as a means of peaceful protest, for example, or if it's the only way that they are comfortable of coming out, then I think that it's fine. If it's a heterophobic parade, (if they do exist, which it probably does), or if it's just a show-off parade, then I think it's wrong (for the former) and silly (for the latter). I wouldn't ban them, but I would put a limit on it, (I know that sounds crappy, but you know I don't mean that way- I hope), and I think that they are helpful and fabulous, but they just need to be carefully organised and properly done. :smile: Btw I am totally not homophobic either, as being a bi girl that would be ironic lol. :smile: Some LGBT people are awesome, and so are some straight people :smile:

+rep!

Could not have put it better myself. Although I may add to it :biggrin:

When I was a baby-bi, still struggling to come to terms with myself, I went to pride and it. was. amazing. It's loud, flamboyant...just a whole heap of fun and laughs, and more importantly a chance to meet other members of the lgbtq community. Where else could I do that, apart from going to the one, dodgy gay bar that I was underage for any way?
Everyone is welcome. Most of my straight-as-they-come friends can't wait for the next one, because of the music, food...and overall fun, accepting, friendly, loving atmosphere.

Aside from that, if you put aside your discomfort and go, the groups and information there are fantastic - there was a stall last time for parents of lgbtq kids, a gay-straight alliance group... and of course the THT and other lgbtq information groups.

Stop looking for a huge, deep meaning for yourself. To a lot of gay people it means an awful lot to have a day to celebrate and embrace who they are. For the community it means the acceptance and celebration of gay people who you might know everyday...it's the world saying 'we love you!' which is so important when every day is geared towards the straight community.
But ultimately, it's a great big stinkin party. And who needs a reason for that? :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Rainbow Student
I do agree with the points that you've addressed, but if it's as a means of peaceful protest, for example, or if it's the only way that they are comfortable of coming out, then I think that it's fine. If it's a heterophobic parade, (if they do exist, which it probably does), or if it's just a show-off parade, then I think it's wrong (for the former) and silly (for the latter). I wouldn't ban them, but I would put a limit on it, (I know that sounds crappy, but you know I don't mean that way- I hope), and I think that they are helpful and fabulous, but they just need to be carefully organised and properly done. :smile: Btw I am totally not homophobic either, as being a bi girl that would be ironic lol. :smile: Some LGBT people are awesome, and so are some straight people :smile:

Oh. I'm not even in the slightest suggesting that they should be banned. I'm just saying that I think the organisers are responsible for the message that's put across. And do in some ways need to be careful.

I'm not at all saying that they should stop, I just think it would do some good if some changes were made.
Original post by limetang
Oh. I'm not even in the slightest suggesting that they should be banned. I'm just saying that I think the organisers are responsible for the message that's put across. And do in some ways need to be careful.

I'm not at all saying that they should stop, I just think it would do some good if some changes were made.

Oh yes, I know you didn't say that at all, I was just putting my tuppence worth in while I was on the subject lol. And yes, 100% true. They are responsible and that was what I was trying to say. I agree with you there. :smile:
What are these stereotypes you mention that are displayed during Pride?

I see the events as two-fold: the first, which might explain the 'flamboyance' you mention, is as a celebration. It's not that long ago since being gay was a criminal offence. It's even less time since employers were allowed to discriminate by sexual orientation. It's even less time again since gay marriage has been possible (it's 3 months away but secured at least!) Pride is a time to celebrate the fantastic work of campaigners and activists across the country, show appreciation to law makers, and take pride in how society is changing to be more accepting.

The second, is to demonstrate to those who are concerned or worried about coming out that although there might be some hurdles, things will be ok and there is a huge network of like-minded people there to support them in expressing themselves more openly and being honest about themselves without fear of prejudice. Nobody's claiming it's easy, or that you won't face prejudice, but that it's not impossible to get through it, and society will be more accepting than you often feel at the time.

Lastly, I'd say it's about keeping up the momentum. It's tiring at times campaigning for things like gay marriage, against the spouse gender veto, or just pushing back at ignorant UKIP tosspots who blame floods on same-sex marriage legislation. Pride is a time to remind yourself that we can achieve, we have a long way to go, but that the movement is alive and excited as ever.

The only other thing I'd add is that liberation groups like LGBT often do things in a way which is criticised by those who don't identify with said group. To say, "The organisers of these things really do need to be more aware of what message they're putting across here, and how they're actually affecting the fight for gay rights.", is actually quite damaging, not least because the organisers are usually campaigners and activists who have actually experienced fighting for gay rights and do so regularly, but also because it goes against the idea of liberation groups having autonomy. I know you don't mean it in a damaging way, but I feel the best way to support us as a movement is to support the decisions we make as an autonomous group and understand that they are made with positive intentions and careful consideration.

Clearly there are exceptions, like if a group or individual is just being downright offensive then they are clearly open to criticism, but it's a fun parade with a positive message :smile:

Also, we welcome non gays on Pride parades; if you like big, loud, flamboyant events then you should come along :p:
Reply 11
Original post by buchanan700
+rep!

Could not have put it better myself. Although I may add to it :biggrin:

When I was a baby-bi, still struggling to come to terms with myself, I went to pride and it. was. amazing. It's loud, flamboyant...just a whole heap of fun and laughs, and more importantly a chance to meet other members of the lgbtq community. Where else could I do that, apart from going to the one, dodgy gay bar that I was underage for any way?
Everyone is welcome. Most of my straight-as-they-come friends can't wait for the next one, because of the music, food...and overall fun, accepting, friendly, loving atmosphere.

Aside from that, if you put aside your discomfort and go, the groups and information there are fantastic - there was a stall last time for parents of lgbtq kids, a gay-straight alliance group... and of course the THT and other lgbtq information groups.

Stop looking for a huge, deep meaning for yourself. To a lot of gay people it means an awful lot to have a day to celebrate and embrace who they are. For the community it means the acceptance and celebration of gay people who you might know everyday...it's the world saying 'we love you!' which is so important when every day is geared towards the straight community.
But ultimately, it's a great big stinkin party. And who needs a reason for that? :biggrin:

Again, let me say I completely agree that it does good, but what I'm saying is this. If you have a parade you are deliberately doing something for people to see. And so having a gay pride parade like it or not you are (in the publics eyes) representing the 'gay community'. And you're responsible for the message you put across. And not all those messages are good, and not all of them are helping promote gay rights.
Reply 12
Original post by DarkWhite
What are these stereotypes you mention that are displayed during Pride?

I see the events as two-fold: the first, which might explain the 'flamboyance' you mention, is as a celebration. It's not that long ago since being gay was a criminal offence. It's even less time since employers were allowed to discriminate by sexual orientation. It's even less time again since gay marriage has been possible (it's 3 months away but secured at least!) Pride is a time to celebrate the fantastic work of campaigners and activists across the country, show appreciation to law makers, and take pride in how society is changing to be more accepting.

The second, is to demonstrate to those who are concerned or worried about coming out that although there might be some hurdles, things will be ok and there is a huge network of like-minded people there to support them in expressing themselves more openly and being honest about themselves without fear of prejudice. Nobody's claiming it's easy, or that you won't face prejudice, but that it's not impossible to get through it, and society will be more accepting than you often feel at the time.

Lastly, I'd say it's about keeping up the momentum. It's tiring at times campaigning for things like gay marriage, against the spouse gender veto, or just pushing back at ignorant UKIP tosspots who blame floods on same-sex marriage legislation. Pride is a time to remind yourself that we can achieve, we have a long way to go, but that the movement is alive and excited as ever.

The only other thing I'd add is that liberation groups like LGBT often do things in a way which is criticised by those who don't identify with said group. To say, "The organisers of these things really do need to be more aware of what message they're putting across here, and how they're actually affecting the fight for gay rights.", is actually quite damaging, not least because the organisers are usually campaigners and activists who have actually experienced fighting for gay rights and do so regularly, but also because it goes against the idea of liberation groups having autonomy. I know you don't mean it in a damaging way, but I feel the best way to support us as a movement is to support the decisions we make as an autonomous group and understand that they are made with positive intentions and careful consideration.

Clearly there are exceptions, like if a group or individual is just being downright offensive then they are clearly open to criticism, but it's a fun parade with a positive message :smile:

Also, we welcome non gays on Pride parades; if you like big, loud, flamboyant events then you should come along :p:

Couldn't agree more. Of course these things should have autonomy, and it certainly isn't up to me as one person to be dictating how they should and should not be run.
Reply 13
Original post by awe
Firstly it promotes/perpetuates negative stereotypes about gay people.

If you see them as inherently negative, perhaps... but they are often very accurate stereotypes of some gay people. That isn't 'negative', it's freaking fun. To see it as negative, to think that the rest of Pride is 'embarrassed' because of queens/camps/effeminate male gays or the opposites for gay women, is not up to you and yes, is slightly homophobic.

It's 'negative' because it gives the impression that being gay means you have to prance around in leather speedos and wear several layers of foundation. That stereotype sticks amongst non-homosexuals and only reinforces the idea that every gay person is either overly-camp if they're a man, or looks butch if they're a woman.

Every day is a day for heterosexual people to celebrate being straight - everything is predominantly aimed at them, society is sculpted for them, no-one looks if they kiss in public or hold hands in public or celebrate their hetero status. Finally people are becoming more accepting of lgbt people doing the same, however it still isn't quite there. Pride is a day or several days for people to really go mad with their lgbt loving, to really celebrate what they are and who they are. It is to show people they aren't 'going anywhere' because yes, to some people that still needs to be made clear. It is to unify people - you don't have to be lgbt to go to Pride! By creating something so brilliant and fun for everyone to join in, Pride welcomes heteros who may be 'wary' and who may have incorrect preconceptions of the community. It brings them in and usually shows them a good time (or could even serve to them their own homophobic opinion).

I don't think anybody would dispute the fact that straight people enjoy a degree of privilege of being the norm and don't have to worry about being seen in public, but saying 'everyday is straight pride day' etc. is such a self-refuting, self-containing and self-suppressing attitude to take. People are becoming more accepting of LGBT, you're right, therefore you should limit that argument as its rapidly becoming normal to see homosexuals in public. Once homosexuality is as mainstream as heterosexuality, would you still say Gay Pride is needed? Black pride doesn't exist on the same scale it used to because they became normalised as the rest of society. Equality means no pride because everyone is equal.

You and many others may think there is no reason for them to do it all - and that is 'stupid'. There is every reason for the community to celebrate how far they have come and to show fearlessness in the face of many homophobic obstacles through Pride. Criticising how they do it, saying they could just 'tone it down' a bit so as not to encourage negative stereotyping, is somewhat homophobic, whether you want it to be or not.

That's a stupid observation with no evidence to back it up. Trying to say anything is 'homophobic' is a cheap cop-out to shut down an argument.

Who does Pride harm? What does it do wrong? Nothing. It, in my opinion, is only full of messy OTT brilliance, fun, and incredibly encouraging confidence. It's inspiring. I am so happy it exists and have never thought it 'stupid', though certainly pity those who do because they cannot see the massive joy of it. As said above - the fact that it encourages many young lgbt people to embrace themselves and/or come out is absolutely invaluable.

None, but if gay people want to be integrated into society then they shouldn't expect a day for themselves if they want to be like everybody else, that's oxymoronic. Maybe at the moment its necessary, but in about 10 years it won't be. And after that if gay pride still exists people should really begin to ask is it necessary, or is it just an excuse to celebrate something you were born as? Gay pride in the short term is somewhat needed; in the long term it won't be.
I'm in two minds on this one. On one hand I appreciate that it's easier for LGBT people to win equality if they portray themselves as 'normal', as not overly challenging to conservative notions of 'family', sexual propriety, monoamoury, etc.

On the other hand, I think it's wrong that they should have to kowtow to prudish sensibilities in the first place.
Reply 15
Original post by anarchism101
I'm in two minds on this one. On one hand I appreciate that it's easier for LGBT people to win equality if they portray themselves as 'normal', as not overly challenging to conservative notions of 'family', sexual propriety, monoamoury, etc.

On the other hand, I think it's wrong that they should have to kowtow to prudish sensibilities in the first place.

Not exactly what I'm saying. It's more that I think it could be creating an idea that the two are inextricably linked. I'm concerned that people could be either subconsciously or consciously thinking that in order to be accepting of homosexuality they also have to be tolerant of things like BDSM for example (which is sometimes on display at these parades).

It's more a question of: What is it more important for people to be accepting of? Homosexuality, or many of the other things that are on display here. What I'm saying is that I think by lumping all these things together and placing them under the general heading of 'gay' you firstly misrepresent what many gay people's lifestyles are like, and secondly you do make it more difficult for people to be accepting of homosexuality. Because I'm of the opinion that people are more willing to be accepting of homosexuality than they are of say S&M. And if in their minds S&M and Homosexuality are somehow inextricably linked then they're not going to be accepting of homosexuality. I'm saying that I think an all or nothing approach on every facet of human sexuality, sexual preference etc. is not going to help an awful lot of people.

Sorry if any of that wasn't clear. Do ask me to clarify any of my points on this if you want.
(edited 10 years ago)
Tbh I think gay pride contradicts itself. They want equal rights yet still want to single themselves out as 'different'.

We don't have straight pride do we?
Reply 17
Gay Pride parades? No problem. It's not the end of the world. Some people just wanted to tell the world who they really are. They just prefer anuses to vaginas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Dreaming*
Tbh I think gay pride contradicts itself. They want equal rights yet still want to single themselves out as 'different'.

We don't have straight pride do we?

Claims for equal rights are usually, for obvious reasons, made by groups that are different in some way, so you seem to be missing the point. When women seek equal rights to men they're not asserting a right to be a man.

We don't have 'straight pride' because we don't have a history of widespread and institutionalised prejudice against heterosexuality as we have against gay people which ranges from teasing and bullying to violent attack and murder, and everything in between. As others have said, the point of these parades is to assert legitimacy in a collective and public way.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending