The Student Room Group

Vladmir Putin on Homosexuality on Russia.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/putin-gays-will-be-safe-at-olympics-if-they-leave-kids-alone/2014/01/17/e6f8c47e-7f7d-11e3-95c6-0a7aa80874bc_story.html

Do I agree? Hell yes. By the way, read that gay law. It is blatant lie that they forbid gays in Russia. Download the damn thing and read it yourself.
Reply 21
How can so many people be so naive? This law may say something pretty minor but look at what it has translated into in Russian society, it just re-enforces the rampant homophobia.
Original post by CEKTOP
They don't really oppress them in the most straightforward sense of the word.

Subtle oppression or in your face oppression is still oppression. These laws are clearly encouraging negative attitudes towards homosexuals in russia, not that they needed encouraging in the first place.
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
Subtle oppression or in your face oppression is still oppression. These laws are clearly encouraging negative attitudes towards homosexuals in russia, not that they needed encouraging in the first place.

Then don't go to Russia. Be thankful that you are in a place where you can be gay and feel reasonably safe.
Reply 24
Original post by uktotalgamer
He's such a LAD.

obviously right-wing. :rolleyes:
Reply 25
It's funny how you call Russia a country of drug addicts and alcoholics meanwhile more people in UK are taking drugs and drinking alcohol :smile: Anyway I don't understand why people are angry about all gay laws in Russia, you dont live there and never will with this attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Homosexual propaganda is the best. I'm going to make all you haters gay now that Section 28 is no longer law.

Wait, acknowledging the existence of homosexuals hasn't made you gay already? Well damn...
Original post by anarchism101
From Putin's perspective, this is the advantage of having an incredibly vaguely worded law.

For example, the Russian government has claimed that even running a helpline for suicidal gay teenagers constitutes 'gay propaganda', but I suspect for the games they'll take a far more narrow interpretation. If they were actually to arrest an athlete they'd be causing a huge headache for the IOC.

But Gay or not if you're suicidal you have access to the normal helpline, you don't need a exclusive helpline for homosexuals, just like you don't need one for the suicidal gingers.

I know in the UK this may be the case, but we need to have an open mind towards other countries, and not go on a stampede attacking everything that isn't identical to our beliefs.

I believe in democracy, and because of that, I am ok with policies that are passed by parliament even if Conservatives/LD wins 52% over Labour 47%, because that is how it works, if Russian people want laws that prevents exclusive helplines for gays, I am totally okay with it.
Original post by muzika
It's funny how you call Russia a country of drug addicts and alcoholics meanwhile more people in UK are taking drugs and drinking alcohol :smile: Anyway I don't understand why people are angry about all gay laws in Russia, you dont live there and never will with this attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not angry about gay laws in Russia, as I said I agree with Mr Putin. :eek:
I will explain the difference between the cultural relative, amoral, Western view and the traditional, moralist, Orthodox view which Putin more or less represents here. As someone from such a society (somewhere in Balkans...) I am qualified.

Firstly, he is correct - Russians and other Easterners are not ogres who eat gays for lunchtime snack. On the contrary, our views on homosexuals are the same views that were common in the West until you recently decided that anything even remotely resembling the world of the last 1000 years of European Culture should be decimated without question. That is to say, we essentially do not care if a man takes it in the ass if he wants to - most of us are intelligent nihilists at heart. We all know that men who enjoy men exist and have existed before - just as today in Russia, it was not hard to meet other homosexual men in Soviet times. And, as long as everyone respects the social order, which logically and correctly values man and woman together as the preferable partnership, there is and has been no problem.

However, this is the important bit. The homosexual has turned into the 'gay'. You in the West have manufactured (entirely manufactured) this absurd identity of the screaming, leather-panty, promiscous, filthy-and-we-love-it, cum-swapping, sequined, glittery, anti-everything, politicized gay. It is not enough for you that homosexual men were tacitly allowed to live as they wanted in our societies, you try to make us stage gay pride parades, to teach our children that they too can be a gay if they want to win some votes and make some money, to simply reject everything that has held our fragile societies together after centuries of Turk rule, communist nonsense and heavy warfare. And because we are proud people, we also don't like the fact that you do not even pretend to give us a choice.

That is why many of us who would otherwise be sympathetic enjoy giving a big 'F U' to the West in this area.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Then don't go to Russia. Be thankful that you are in a place where you can be gay and feel reasonably safe.

Assuming I'm gay because I express concern at russia's homophobic laws. :rolleyes:
Original post by mila1ja2volim
I will explain the difference between the cultural relative, amoral, Western view and the traditional, moralist, Orthodox view which Putin more or less represents here. As someone from such a society (somewhere in Balkans...) I am qualified.

Firstly, he is correct - Russians and other Easterners are not ogres who eat gays for lunchtime snack. On the contrary, our views on homosexuals are the same views that were common in the West until you recently decided that anything even remotely resembling the world of the last 1000 years of European Culture should be decimated without question. That is to say, we essentially do not care if a man takes it in the ass if he wants to - most of us are intelligent nihilists at heart. We all know that men who enjoy men exist and have existed before - just as today in Russia, it was not hard to meet other homosexual men in Soviet times. And, as long as everyone respects the social order, which logically and correctly values man and woman together as the preferable partnership, there is and has been no problem.

However, this is the important bit. The homosexual has turned into the 'gay'. You in the West have manufactured (entirely manufactured) this absurd identity of the screaming, leather-panty, promiscous, filthy-and-we-love-it, cum-swapping, sequined, glittery, anti-everything, politicized gay. It is not enough for you that homosexual men were tacitly allowed to live as they wanted in our societies, you try to make us stage gay pride parades, to teach our children that they too can be a gay if they want to win some votes and make some money, to simply reject everything that has held our fragile societies together after centuries of Turk rule, communist nonsense and heavy warfare. And because we are proud people, we also don't like the fact that you do not even pretend to give us a choice.

That is why many of us who would otherwise be sympathetic enjoy giving a big 'F U' to the West in this area.

The part of your comment in bold explains clearly why 'westeners' are having a go at russia. It's because of this sensationalised and outright utterly untrue prejudices and stereotypes you hold. Not many gay men are in your words'screaming, leather-panty, promiscous, filthy-and-we-love-it, cum-swapping, sequined, glittery, anti-everything, politicized gay'. We don't teach children that they too can be gay to get votes, we teach them that if they are gay then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

You speak as if there is a rampant gay problem in russia with gays taking over, children turning gay left right and centre and there's hardly any straight people left. Which is complete bull**** because clearly in russia being gay is a massive problem no matter how much putin claims it's not. Gays in russia are outright scared of their life because of the discrimination, and with these anti gay laws all it does it fuel the fire. These laws are not built on logic and reason, the ironic thing about these laws are they are exactly what they are supposed to be against. These laws are apparently supposed to stop propaganda but the law in itself is anti gay propaganda.

You speak as if gay pride marches are occurring everyday and people in their thousands are being converted and mislead by this apparent propaganda, which is utterly absurd. Gay pride marches, the few that did occur were marches to demonstrate to other 'in the closet' homosexuals that there are other gays out there. It was used to raise awareness that gays are no different to the rest of society. But somehow the homophobic russian govt has turned this into a massive strawman and persuaded people that it is the way you have claimed with children being told to turn gay and gay men apparently walking around freely with their dicks hanging out or what ever crap you were trying to claim.

Sensationalisation is the worst kind of discrimination, it creates prejudices, spreads untrue and damaging propaganda and leads to irrational thoughts and behaviours of societies. We've seen it time and time again in human history, when the establishment starts discriminating it sets off a domino effect and soon leads to far worse atrocities than simple banning 'gay propaganda'. As soon as people start to believe this sensationalised view, they start to accept the prejudices and discrimination that goes with it, pretty soon you have yourself a society that is quite prepared to do anything to get rid of their so called problem. The nazis did it, the colonists did it and used it for their own good. It happened in the balkans where you come from with all the genocides and wars going on between the various ethnicities. All this starts because of some ****ed up ignorant view of someone that is slightly different from you.

It's sad that still today in 2014 people turn a blind eye to events of the past, societies are unwilling to learn from previous problems and history begins to repeat itself.
Assuming I'm gay because I express concern at russia's homophobic laws. :rolleyes:

Well whether you are or not, don't "express concern" at Russia's laws and attitudes towards gays if they have nothing to do with you. They can do whatever they like in their country.
Well whether you are or not, don't "express concern" at Russia's laws and attitudes towards gays if they have nothing to do with you. They can do whatever they like in their country.

So the world shouldn't comment or criticise when a nation starts discriminating and oppressing people. I guess no one should bother with syria then because it doesn't affect them. We should all just forget human empathy and morality and if we see a wrong in the world just ignore it.

Good useful use of logic right there mate.
So the world shouldn't comment or criticise when a nation starts discriminating and oppressing people. I guess no one should bother with syria then because it doesn't affect them. We should all just forget human empathy and morality and if we see a wrong in the world just ignore it.

Good useful use of logic right there mate.

If you were really that concerned, you'd get up and actually do something about it rather than sit here commenting on it.
I agree with Putin. Kids don't need to be force-fed liberal crap about how wonderful LGBT people are.
If you were really that concerned, you'd get up and actually do something about it rather than sit here commenting on it.

Well that's just a fallacious attempt to discredit me. Saying if i cared i'd do something about it, knowing full well there's nothing i can actually do about it that will make any significance to discredit my motives or concern is ridiculous. Clearly I am concerned or else I wouldn't be here arguing. My ability to change anything significantly is limited, but being part of the greater voice that speaks up against this and raises awareness for those that aren't fully aware and perhaps gets them on board. The more people that talk up against this the more the russian govt will take notice.
Well that's just a fallacious attempt to discredit me. Saying if i cared i'd do something about it, knowing full well there's nothing i can actually do about it that will make any significance to discredit my motives or concern is ridiculous. Clearly I am concerned or else I wouldn't be here arguing. My ability to change anything significantly is limited, but being part of the greater voice that speaks up against this and raises awareness for those that aren't fully aware and perhaps gets them on board. The more people that talk up against this the more the russian govt will take notice.

Who cares though? It's not our problem. No-one is at fault, not the LGBT community, nor the Russian government - every country is entitled to set the rules the way they want. Russia seems happy with the rules as they are, and that should be the primary concern - I'm sorry but the LGBT community come second here.
Pretty funny from a guy who rides around topless on a horse.

Presumably he also disagrees with anything other than functional sexual intercourse for the purpose of procreation.
The title for the article in the i was great: "Putin says 'I have gay friends' "

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending