The Student Room Group

Aqa a2 german unit 3 june 2014

Hey guys!

I didn't find a thread for the AQA A2 Unit 3 exam so I thought I'd make one.

How is everyone finding A2 German so far?
What texts is everyone studying? I'm studying "Die Wolke" and "Das Leben der anderen".

The date of the exam is: 9/06/2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
BUMP!
Surely I'm not the only person taking this exam. :biggrin:
Reply 3
ahaha I'm taking this too! Don't think German's that popular a subject though :frown: . I'm not doing a book im doing a film instead 'goodbye lenin' literally fed up of this film now ahah. How are you finding the a2 course? I definitely think it's more interesting than the AS stuff
Original post by Juniorr
ahaha I'm taking this too! Don't think German's that popular a subject though :frown: . I'm not doing a book im doing a film instead 'goodbye lenin' literally fed up of this film now ahah. How are you finding the a2 course? I definitely think it's more interesting than the AS stuff

Hiya!

Sadly, German is not a popular subject. I think most people don't take German for one of these three reasons:
1. It's too hard - let's face it, languages are extremely difficult.
2. Their school doesn't offer it.
3. Students would rather do maths or the sciences (although I do study them too)

Why are you not doing a book? I thought for the speaking exam you need to study a book and a film because you are asked questions on both of them, right?

Oh god! That film! I remember watching it in year 9 - it was sooo boring. I'm glad we are not studying that anymore. "Das Leben der anderen" is such a good movie and you learn so much about German history.

I'm loving A2 German - it's so much fun than my other subjects. There are only 3 of us in the class though. I agree with you. A2 is is far more exciting and challenging than AS. Looking back, AS seems boring. In A2 there are topics like unemployment, nuclear power, immigration and crime - things that you can actually relate to.
Reply 5
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Hiya!

Sadly, German is not a popular subject. I think most people don't take German for one of these three reasons:
1. It's too hard - let's face it, languages are extremely difficult.
2. Their school doesn't offer it.
3. Students would rather do maths or the sciences (although I do study them too)

Why are you not doing a book? I thought for the speaking exam you need to study a book and a film because you are asked questions on both of them, right?

Oh god! That film! I remember watching it in year 9 - it was sooo boring. I'm glad we are not studying that anymore. "Das Leben der anderen" is such a good movie and you learn so much about German history.

I'm loving A2 German - it's so much fun than my other subjects. There are only 3 of us in the class though. I agree with you. A2 is is far more exciting and challenging than AS. Looking back, AS seems boring. In A2 there are topics like unemployment, nuclear power, immigration and crime - things that you can actually relate to.

Yeah I agree with that. One of my friends was told by my headteacher that it would be too hard to get a good grade in it and that she should take a different/easier subject instead! We actually have 7 people in my class which seems quite large for a language and we had 9 last year for AS, the german department were ecstatic and had to buy loads more books for us ahaha.

I don't know, we just got told to choose between two films and our teacher made us pick goodbye lenin because it was 'funny' (which is completely not true :frown: ) oooh maybe it's because we talk about history instead? I think we do 5 mins on the history, 5 mins on the film and 5 mins on the main topics or something like that. Goodbye lenin is so dull though. It was fine the first time to watch but talking about it and watching it over and over again makes you realise how annoying most of the characters are!

German and I have a bit of a love hate relationship ahah sometimes i love it and other times it's just sooo stressful. We have someone who grew up in Germany in our class which puts how much german I know into perspective!

What other subjects do you take?
Reply 6
Hey,

Has anyone completed their speaking exam yet?
I have mine next week and I am really worried about the stimulus card.

I am studying Wolfgang Becker as my director and Bayern as a German speaking region.

Any tips?
Original post by mulvj005
Hey,

Has anyone completed their speaking exam yet?
I have mine next week and I am really worried about the stimulus card.

I am studying Wolfgang Becker as my director and Bayern as a German speaking region.

Any tips?

Hey!

Nope, mine is on 30th April.
For the stimulus card, make sure you know all the topics really well. By that I mean have little set phrases in your mind that you can use. Always pick the card you feel the best on. There is one topic I'm avoiding because I hate talking about it.

I'm studying "Das Leben der anderen" and "Die Wolke. :biggrin:

Are you having an external examiner?

Best of luck! x :smile:
Original post by Juniorr
Yeah I agree with that. One of my friends was told by my headteacher that it would be too hard to get a good grade in it and that she should take a different/easier subject instead! We actually have 7 people in my class which seems quite large for a language and we had 9 last year for AS, the german department were ecstatic and had to buy loads more books for us ahaha.

I don't know, we just got told to choose between two films and our teacher made us pick goodbye lenin because it was 'funny' (which is completely not true :frown: ) oooh maybe it's because we talk about history instead? I think we do 5 mins on the history, 5 mins on the film and 5 mins on the main topics or something like that. Goodbye lenin is so dull though. It was fine the first time to watch but talking about it and watching it over and over again makes you realise how annoying most of the characters are!

German and I have a bit of a love hate relationship ahah sometimes i love it and other times it's just sooo stressful. We have someone who grew up in Germany in our class which puts how much german I know into perspective!

What other subjects do you take?

My teacher actually said, "Do psychology". I'm trying to put psychology down or anything but in her opinion it's easier. That is a pretty large class! We have no natives. :biggrin:

Oh I see, you probably do. Goodbye Lenin is nice to watch but I'd hate to have an exam on it. Das Leben der anderen is a really nice film. :smile:

I absolutely love taking German. I wouldn't change a thing. Really? That's jot fair when bribes get treated exactly the same as us. They should have a different system if natives want to take an exam.

Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
When are you doing the speaking exam?

Yourself? :smile:
So glad to find a thread for this!

I'm studying the book Ich fuhl mich so 50-50 (Karin Konig) and the film Heimat (Edgar Reitz). Only problem is that Heimat is literally the longest film I have ever watched in my entire life! Not even kidding, it has 11 parts and runs to 15.5 hours :eek: I'm planning to write about Edgar Reitz in the exam though because the book is unbelievably dull. To keep my answer focused I'm going to refer to just the last episode.

My speaking exam is on the 8th as far as I remember. I'd prefer a card that isn't about the environment but other than that I'm not fussy :tongue:
Original post by TheBookOwl
So glad to find a thread for this!

I'm studying the book Ich fuhl mich so 50-50 (Karin Konig) and the film Heimat (Edgar Reitz). Only problem is that Heimat is literally the longest film I have ever watched in my entire life! Not even kidding, it has 11 parts and runs to 15.5 hours :eek: I'm planning to write about Edgar Reitz in the exam though because the book is unbelievably dull. To keep my answer focused I'm going to refer to just the last episode.

My speaking exam is on the 8th as far as I remember. I'd prefer a card that isn't about the environment but other than that I'm not fussy :tongue:

Hello! Welcome to the thread. :wink:
I have never read of seen any of those. 15.5 hours!!!!?????? What??! :eek::eek: Why so long?? Why did you teacher choose that? Oh dear. . .
I'm going to write on the book "Die Wolke". I think the film "Das Leben der anderen" is a little wishy-washy. And plus there is so much I can say about the book.'

My speaking is a week today! I prefer a card that's not on racism - Anything else will do nicely. Best of luck form your speaking exam! :smile:
I'm doing Andorra and Deutschland nach dem krieg 1945 - 1961
How should you revise for these? Mine is next thursday
Original post by nilojan11341
I'm doing Andorra and Deutschland nach dem krieg 1945 - 1961
How should you revise for these? Mine is next thursday

Hello! Welcome to the thread. :smile:

I had my A2 oral exam and the advice I will give you is, DO NOT PANIC! I had an external examiner and she was a lovely lady, really put me at ease. If you panic, you can't speak and then you screw up and then you panic even more because you know you have screwed up. Es ist ein Teufelkreis aus dem man sich nicht befreien kann. :biggrin:

As far as revising is concerned, revise the historical background really well and practise, practise and practise! :biggrin:

Best of luck and feel free to message me of you need any more advice. :smile:
Reply 13
Hallo!
I'm studying "good bye lenin" (Becker) and a play called "der besuch der alten dame" by Dรผrrenmatt and both are really boring (gel was supposed to be "funny") and der besuch is supposed to be a black comedy which my teacher thinks is hilarious
I'm the only one doing a2 german at my school, it can be really awkward sometimes though...
Got my oral on the 13th and dreading it slightly, is anyone else praying that integration doesn't come up?? :smile:
Original post by eggz95
Hallo!
I'm studying "good bye lenin" (Becker) and a play called "der besuch der alten dame" by Dรผrrenmatt and both are really boring (gel was supposed to be "funny") and der besuch is supposed to be a black comedy which my teacher thinks is hilarious
I'm the only one doing a2 german at my school, it can be really awkward sometimes though...
Got my oral on the 13th and dreading it slightly, is anyone else praying that integration doesn't come up?? :smile:

You're the only person doing German? Argh that sucks. German is my best lesson because I'm with 6 other guys, and we mostly just have a laugh.

I'm also doing Der Besuch, and I had my oral today, and I think it went well. It's a shame you don't have other people with you, since it makes the incredibly nervous waiting period easier.

Obviously there's nothing much I can tell you, but I think you'll be fine! I find debating the hardest part because it's difficult to come up with counterarguments on the spot, and find a way to express it in German, using the vocab you know. Also it's quite easy to dig yourself a hole if you get to heated in the argument, but maybe that's not such a bad thing?!?
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Hello! Welcome to the thread. :smile:

I had my A2 oral exam and the advice I will give you is, DO NOT PANIC! I had an external examiner and she was a lovely lady, really put me at ease. If you panic, you can't speak and then you screw up and then you panic even more because you know you have screwed up. Es ist ein Teufelkreis aus dem man sich nicht befreien kann. :biggrin:

As far as revising is concerned, revise the historical background really well and practise, practise and practise! :biggrin:

Best of luck and feel free to message me of you need any more advice. :smile:

Thanks a lot!
I don't think i have enough posts on here to message you personally but just a few questions. During the conversation are your responses expected to be a certain length?
and also do you know by any chance where I can recap German History from 1945 - 1961? I've missed a lot of lessons at it and therefore I'm a bit sloppy at it. I grew up in Germany (lived there for 11 years) so I'm kinda at an advantage, just need to practice vocab, background info and hopefully not speak too informal. I reckon I will manage this all by thursday :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by cazmasetro
You're the only person doing German? Argh that sucks. German is my best lesson because I'm with 6 other guys, and we mostly just have a laugh.

I'm also doing Der Besuch, and I had my oral today, and I think it went well. It's a shame you don't have other people with you, since it makes the incredibly nervous waiting period easier.

Obviously there's nothing much I can tell you, but I think you'll be fine! I find debating the hardest part because it's difficult to come up with counterarguments on the spot, and find a way to express it in German, using the vocab you know. Also it's quite easy to dig yourself a hole if you get to heated in the argument, but maybe that's not such a bad thing?!?

The waiting period is bloody awful!!
Being alone is also awkward but getting loads of tips on essays and marking them individually is fun!!

Has anyone tried to predict what essay questions may come up for play/film??
Original post by nilojan11341
Thanks a lot!
I don't think i have enough posts on here to message you personally but just a few questions. During the conversation are your responses expected to be a certain length?
and also do you know by any chance where I can recap German History from 1945 - 1961? I've missed a lot of lessons at it and therefore I'm a bit sloppy at it. I grew up in Germany (lived there for 11 years) so I'm kinda at an advantage, just need to practice vocab, background info and hopefully not speak too informal. I reckon I will manage this all by thursday :biggrin:

I'm sure you can PM me, no matter how many posts you have.
Nope, just as long as you are happy that you have said everything. Don't keep saying "und. . ." and then leave a gap whilst you think of something. Just stop as soon as you have said your main points. :smile: Because remember, its a conversation, not a monologue.

Nope, I have no idea where you can recap German History. I don't study German History in depth, just the film and the book is what I study.:smile:

You have a big advantage over us! :biggrin: Yep, vocab is important and technique particularly for the 1 min at the beginning. Make sure outlining your point is a minute long, practise out loud before you actually go in, the invigilator won't care.

Best of luck for Thursday! :smile:
How is everyone preparing for the translation section of the paper?
Reply 19
Is it just me but I am studying complete different cultural topics, I'll be doing a region in Germany, so Berlin and also a movie about the Klitschko brothers..

Quick Reply

Latest