The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by snowyowl
3A*, 5A, 3C (2 of which were in subjects nobody cares about like Textiles).

In real life those are considered amazing grades, but on TSR I may as well be the village idiot.

Not at all! I got 1 A*, 5 A, 2 B and a C (in Resistant Materials), which is fairly good I think and more than adequate to get me in to college, when A Levels count for more for most universities anyway. I'm on track for better A Level grades, so I don't care too much about my GCSEs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
None, A levels are much more important.
Reply 22
Original post by Foreverneek
I applied for Oxford this year and got rejected so A*s aren't everything. They'll get you an interview in combination with good AS grades/entrance exam score/reference and personal statement. Grades are a small part of a complex application. With Oxford the interview and your academic interests are more important - decent grades at GCSE (not necessarily all A*s) and good AS results will be sufficient to get you to the stage that really matters!

Sorry to hear that. And thanks for taking the time to answer, made me feel better actually! I guess GCSE grades aren't that important but it's still good to be on the safe side haha :smile:
4 A*s, 5 A's and 3 B's
Reply 24
Original post by JCM
As I said, A levels are much more important, so I wouldn't worry about the amount of A*s at GCSE level too much. Have a look at the required grades for the course you're looking at doing, but be aware the boundaries may change in the future, for good or ill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess I shouldn't be stressing too much over GCSEs. Thank you :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Tomothy
Not at all! I got 1 A*, 5 A, 2 B and a C (in Resistant Materials), which is fairly good I think and more than adequate to get me in to college, when A Levels count for more for most universities anyway. I'm on track for better A Level grades, so I don't care too much about my GCSEs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done, those are really good grades :smile:
I don't get why some people look down on Bs and Cs, they don't exactly say anything about you as you could do a lot better in A levels, like you said!
Ah, another bragging thread, how many of these have we had now? :rolleyes: Don't compare your GCSE grades to everyone else because everyone has different standards. Most people would be happy with just a C never mind an A*. I think TSR distorts people's minds on what an "average" level of GCSE grades are. A lot of people on here will have like 25 A*s which is not the norm. I got 3 A*s at GCSE but on TSR this will look quite bad, just be proud of what you do get :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by luckylaurax
Ah, another bragging thread, how many of these have we had now? :rolleyes: Don't compare your GCSE grades to everyone else because everyone has different standards. Most people would be happy with just a C never mind an A*. I think TSR distorts people's minds on what an "average" level of GCSE grades are. A lot of people on here will have like 25 A*s which is not the norm. I got 3 A*s at GCSE but on TSR this will look quite bad, just be proud of what you do get :smile:

This was honestly not meant to be a 'bragging' thread. I don't like bragging, never have actually. Just asking for opinions and tips is all :smile:
3 A*s is great. For anyone to look down on that is silly. Just hope you didn't get the impression that I'm one of those people.
Reply 28
Original post by super_kawaii
4 A*s, 5 A's and 3 B's

Well done!:smile:
GCSE grades do matter to Oxford, lots of people get rejected on the basis of their GCSE grades, but obviously people with excellent GCSEs get rejected because of poor entrance tests scores or because of interview performance. If you do get 6A*s and 7As those grades will be below average for an Oxford applicant but people do get in with worse grades. Just make sure the rest of your application is as strong as possible.
Original post by lianaist
Well I'm aiming for Oxford actually, but not sure I'd get in since I won't have many A*s. But I agree, A levels are much more important.

I got 9 A*s; nothing but revision and hard work :smile:

I'd disagree with that bolded statement though. I've just got an offer from Oxford, and I believe they care more about GCSE's as it shows potential from an earlier age. I've heard Cambridge are more interested in A Levels though - they even ask for UMS!
8A*s after re-marks...work hard, work early
Original post by super_kawaii
4 A*s, 5 A's and 3 B's

Identical to mine except you got an extra B! :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexmufc1995

I'd disagree with that bolded statement though. I've just got an offer from Oxford, and I believe they care more about GCSE's as it shows potential from an earlier age. I've heard Cambridge are more interested in A Levels though - they even ask for UMS!

A levels are more or equally important to Oxford. You won't get in if You're predicted Bs at A level but GCSEs are a way to distinguish between all the applicants with 4 As at AS.
Original post by Lucy96
Identical to mine except you got an extra B! :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:five:
Original post by lianaist
This was honestly not meant to be a 'bragging' thread. I don't like bragging, never have actually. Just asking for opinions and tips is all :smile:
3 A*s is great. For anyone to look down on that is silly. Just hope you didn't get the impression that I'm one of those people.

No, it will be some of the people who comment :wink: Any A*s are great, just be happy with what you get. GCSE's aren't the end of the world unless you are going to apply to Oxbridge. Otherwise, you will be able to get in a great university anyways, there is a bigger emphasis on A level grades than on GCSE's no matter what people tell you.
Reply 37
Original post by x__justmyluck
GCSE grades do matter to Oxford, lots of people get rejected on the basis of their GCSE grades, but obviously people with excellent GCSEs get rejected because of poor entrance tests scores or because of interview performance. If you do get 6A*s and 7As those grades will be below average for an Oxford applicant but people do get in with worse grades. Just make sure the rest of your application is as strong as possible.

Original post by alexmufc1995

Well this is what I hate to hear :frown: I don't think it's fair though, an A* at GCSE for some could be achieved without any revision, so it's not really proving anything because they're fairly easy compared to A level.

My friend knew someone who got in with quite average GCSE grades (a few Bs on top of As and A*s) and A*A*A* at A level. But this just seems like a one-off.
Reply 38
Original post by luckylaurax
No, it will be some of the people who comment :wink: Any A*s are great, just be happy with what you get. GCSE's aren't the end of the world unless you are going to apply to Oxbridge. Otherwise, you will be able to get in a great university anyways, there is a bigger emphasis on A level grades than on GCSE's no matter what people tell you.

Oh right, fair enough :')
Well even applying to Oxbridge it won't be the end of the world, sometimes the rest of your application can make up for your GCSE grades completely. But obviously I'm not gonna beat myself up over it, I agree with what you're saying :smile:
Just the one and it was a complete surprise. I achieved the A*, 6 or 7 As, a B and a D.
My school targeted me at an A for most of my subjects, so me being me 'back then', that was what I worked for, I never dreamt I could achieve higher.
I've now completed my A Levels and I achieved 2 A*s - because I now have a completely different attitude towards work and learning, and I thank my college for making me the person I am today. :smile: they pushed me and I realised I didn't want to be happy with the bare minimum (based on my GCSEs my college targeted me at Bs but I soon proved I was capable of much more, (I don't mean to blow my own trumpet)).
Looking back, I do wish I'd had the mentality I do now when I sat my GCSEs, but nothing can be done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest