Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Quiet, you! xD
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 61
The magnificent Harvi has pointed out to me that people no longer need to send a friend request to me to join the group, as there's already a "request to join" button on the group page :P didn't know the option existed. derp.
I've accepted my offer at DMU for this course but still a little unsure!
I'm currently already at another Uni doing Graphic Design but I'm not enjoying it, I know I'd enjoy this course much more but I'm just concerned of the job prospects afterwards!

Just got my accommodation email so need to make my mind up soon, eek!

Edit: Would anyone have any halls they would recommend? I would like an en-suite, I'm looking at Filbert Village or Newarke Point I think..
Reply 63
Original post by Kaytiekins
I've accepted my offer at DMU for this course but still a little unsure!
I'm currently already at another Uni doing Graphic Design but I'm not enjoying it, I know I'd enjoy this course much more but I'm just concerned of the job prospects afterwards!

Just got my accommodation email so need to make my mind up soon, eek!

Edit: Would anyone have any halls they would recommend? I would like an en-suite, I'm looking at Filbert Village or Newarke Point I think..

There's a wide range of jobs you could get after doing this course o:
What exactly worries you?

& Accommodation wise, Filbert is good I've heard, but it seems a little far :P
I'm going for Newarke Point if I can, if I can't get in there then I'll probably go Victoria Halls..
Original post by Lily_D
There's a wide range of jobs you could get after doing this course o:
What exactly worries you?

& Accommodation wise, Filbert is good I've heard, but it seems a little far :P
I'm going for Newarke Point if I can, if I can't get in there then I'll probably go Victoria Halls..

Well, getting into the games industry, especially in an art related job, is exceptionally hard, I have a lot of friends working in this industry, and it doesn't really improve my hopes when they tell me about the lack of jobs.

I was thinking Newarke Point, but it seems a little expensive for the whole year. My halls in my current uni are made by the same people and are literally almost exactly the same, I was so shocked when walking around them at the similarity! But mine has a double bed and around 100mb upload and download speed internet too, and is slightly cheaper, so I'm not sure if I'd feel slightly ripped off there? Haha. I guess it's a bigger city though.

I think Filbert is like a 15 minute walk away? That doesn't seem too bad in my opinion.
Reply 65
The Games Industry is just like any other competitive industry, only those who work their asses off are going to be successful...With that said, Im sure if you put in the time and work then it will pay off...Just accepted my offer aswell
Reply 66
Original post by Kaytiekins
Well, getting into the games industry, especially in an art related job, is exceptionally hard, I have a lot of friends working in this industry, and it doesn't really improve my hopes when they tell me about the lack of jobs.

I was thinking Newarke Point, but it seems a little expensive for the whole year. My halls in my current uni are made by the same people and are literally almost exactly the same, I was so shocked when walking around them at the similarity! But mine has a double bed and around 100mb upload and download speed internet too, and is slightly cheaper, so I'm not sure if I'd feel slightly ripped off there? Haha. I guess it's a bigger city though.

I think Filbert is like a 15 minute walk away? That doesn't seem too bad in my opinion.

Well, you don't have to work in the games industry, this course allows you to cross over in some ways.. 74% of graduates get a job in a relevant industry within 6 months of graduating.. Obviously the hardest workers, as Harvi said will be the most successful :P

These are the most common job types students do six months after finishing the course.
Artistic, literary and media occupations 30%
Design occupations 15%
Sales occupations 15%
Administrative occupations 10%
Welfare and housing associate professionals 5%
Managers, directors and senior officials 5%
Science, engineering and technology associate professionals 5%
Elementary occupations 5%
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Hey guys thought I would just check up on how your doing, I have noticed you are already talking about job prospects and industry. Just want to point out to anyone who feels unsure about jobs that this industry is very, very volatile and quite insecure. especially with the resent economy. However if you spend the next 3 years drawing, painting modelling and arting in general you will get a job. Most companies recognize talent so if your good enough you will find something, but this really does mean working hard so as long as you are willing to really go all you should be fine :smile: also the industry changes and adapts all the time, who knows what it will be like in the next few years.

Also lily I would avoid statistics, they vary and tbh if you really want the job and you put in the work you will get a job you want, realisitcally of course. Its all about you really and if you feel your not really going to go all out then maybe this course (and industry) aren't for you. :smile:

On the halls, I would suggest vic or newarke, they are the best value and close (they got en-suite) , bede is party central if you are into that, and is literally 1 min down the road.

PS one of last years graduates just landed a job at rockstar if that interests anybody.
Reply 68
Ty for the advice :smile: I have a goal to reach, so I'll be making the most of the course as I possibly can :P
Reply 69
Hiya, I will be starting this course in September :smile: Had some specific questions about the course:

1. For 3D, are we only allowed to use 3DS Max, or would we also be able to use Zbrush?

2. Is the course flexible with what software / methods you use in general? (For example can you work more digitally if you prefer or do you have to work in a certain way?)

3. What specifically does the first year focus on, like either anatomy, perspective, etc? I heard its mostly traditional art in the first year.

4. Do we have to do many essays?

Thank you for your kind attention :smile:
1) 3DS Max is the starting point. Later we use ZBrush for things like baking and making low poly models look high poly, so knowing ZBrush is a definite plus.

2) The teachers emphasise learning traditional methods first, to get you grounded. Learn to walk before you run. That doesn't mean they all want you to draw the same way and all mold into one; they just believe that a traditional basis is important, and you don't dive in the deep end with custom brushes and filters etc without learning the fundamentals.

3) Cornerstones in 2D are perspective, anatomy, rendering and basic theory. 3D is just learning how to model, texture and rig.

4) No essays, although we do have blogs which we write in. We get a really small amount of 'set' blog tasks to write, but it shouldn't cause any issues unless you have a phobia of writing.
Reply 71
Will my MS Paint skills help me on the course?
Yes
Reply 73
What kind of clothes do you wear to go out drawing in? :smile: been wondering what to kit myself up with before September! & do you take foldable chairs with you?
Reply 74
flips flops, shorts and a tank top should do fine
Reply 75
How about nude? Get the proper feel of nature xD
Reply 76
Just make sure u shave first
Reply 77
I think imma stick with clothes.. Maybe a stormtrooper official outfit..
You're British right? You should know the weather is ****, so at best it will be relatively chilly and at worst you'll be in a park with no cover while it's windy and rainy :P
Just bring regular winter clothes + some kind of raincoat.
Reply 79
Original post by Imamomobird
You're British right? You should know the weather is ****, so at best it will be relatively chilly and at worst you'll be in a park with no cover while it's windy and rainy :P
Just bring regular winter clothes + some kind of raincoat.

Okay! :smile: was just wondering if there was any special brand for artists that draw/paint outside that you guys might've discovered xD like waterproof drawing gloves or something..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending