The Student Room Group

Study shows MDMA may have potential to treat PTSD and anxiety disorders

http://www.mdconnects.com/articles/250/20140117/study-reveals-ecstasy-acts-brain-hints-therapeutic-uses.htm

Main article in below spoiler

Spoiler

A research project led by Professor David Nutt has investigated the use of MDMA (the chemical 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine) for therapeutic purposes including for the treatment of anxiety disorders and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

There has been previous evidence (see spoiler at the end of paragraph) for the successful therapeutic use of MDMA, however a study of this size and in such depth has never been conducted before. As can be seen from the linked article, the results are very promising.

Spoiler

Given the authorisation of the study of the Class A drug for research purposes, one can only hope this reflects a change in attitudes towards alternative treatment for mental health issues. For those who find no improvements (or, simply, 'feeling zombified', as if one is no longer the same person) through current available options such as counselling or drugs like SSRI's with many negative side effects (even including suicide ideation), the potential future option of MDMA as an alternative is surely only a good thing. The potential success of the drug is seen in the 2009 study to have effective and long lasting results instead of proviing a mere quick fix - surely this can only be more of an incentive for further research into the therapeutic properties of MDMA.

As someone who has suffered with mental health issues in the past and known many, many, many people who have also suffered with mental health issues who have not responded to counselling/CBT/antidepressants, the thought of an alternative to these options is surely something to be very hopeful about. Whilst my mental health is currently well, I still know of those who aren't in the same boat and as such, if MDMA can be used for therapeutic reasons to help them, then I passionately see this as something that undoubtedly needs to be investigated further.

Recently we have seen a change in Government attitudes towards marijuana in some states in America, with the legalisation of marijuana for medicinal purposes. It certainly feels that, within the last few years at least, marijuana is being viewed in a more liberal and accepting way by a vaster majority, not least due to its potential for therapeutic or medicinal use. One can only hope that MDMA, in many years time, can be viewed in the same way, if further trials come to the same conclusion as Professor Nutt's study..

However, it is also clear to see that approval of the drug for prescription purposes only would prove problematic. Abuse of prescription drugs in the UK is a severe problem, with Diazepam (Valium) being a key example. It is easy to see why many could worry about the possibility of illegal distributions of prescription MDMA to the wider public for recreational use, and as such is likely to be the key deterrent in the Government approving this, regardless of the success of MDMA trials in treating PTSD and anxiety disorders. Conversely, prescription MDMA would also guarantee a 99%+ pure drug, whilst if someone in the UK currently wanted to self-medicate with MDMA, they run the risk of ingesting a highly impure chemical, one that might not even contain any MDMA at all.

Personally, I find the findings of the research very interesting. In a way, it is a shame that MDMA is so closely associated with the rave and party culture because this will prove harder to convince people that "prescription MDMA" has a purpose not just for recreational purposes, but for therapeutic purposes too.

TSR - what are your thoughts?
Reply 1
Good man Prof. Nutt, been to a few of his lectures. I'm surprised he got the go ahead for this study as i remember him saying how difficult it is to research illegal drugs due to our laws.

It's been well known for a while that MDMA can have great medical uses but of course it's been very hard for scientists to get permission to study. From what i know about MDMA and PTSD, i don't think it would ever be prescribed as such - I think it is only beneficial when taken in a controlled setting with a psychotherapist.
Reply 2
i agree that MDMA can be used as therapy but only if the taker is extremely strict with their intake.

these euphoric effect these drugs create is extremely unnatural and taxing on the system and if these kind of drugs are misused it will be thousand times worse for the patient in the long run.

anyone who has ever taken MDMA will know first hand of the extreme comedown which can last for days -- this comedown effect isa clue as to how these drugs 'deplete' the brain of its natural chemical balance. i would say this type of therapy must be higher controlled.
Reply 3
Original post by imtelling
i agree that MDMA can be used as therapy but only if the taker is extremely strict with their intake.

these euphoric effect these drugs create is extremely unnatural and taxing on the system and if these kind of drugs are misused it will be thousand times worse for the patient in the long run.

anyone who has ever taken MDMA will know first hand of the extreme comedown which can last for days -- this comedown effect isa clue as to how these drugs 'deplete' the brain of its natural chemical balance. i would say this type of therapy must be higher controlled.

I think that whilst you're correct about the initial effects with regards to MDMA - euphoria followed by a comedown - the study researched the potential use of the drug in terms of after effects. For example, if used during therapy, the subject may be able to talk freely and with ease about issues they may have been bottling up their whole lives, or to see difficult problems in a positive light. These positive aspects can stick with the patient and help alter their life for the better even after the initial effects (euphoria to comedown) have subsided. With supplements such as 5-HTP, if used for at least 7 days before ingesting MDMA, the comedown is significantly less severe to manage, and as such if it was used in therapy then one would hope a therapist would advise of this.
Interesting I did see something about this and research. As a born again and natural person am against it all. I tried duffeeeht therapies not worked.Mindful yoga helps, different breathing. Singing. Looking at further studies. It seems laws have relaxed vis a vis drugs anyway. Not good hence rising vilest crime but think mental health and ptsd may be a reason why. II suffer from cptsd different things and took mdma in the 90s. I don’t need to now but feel as though on it. Now just like to walk and sit in greenery or be by water that helps. Also I pray a lot yep born again/ That helps. Listen to music that helps. Would like to study that. Also routine and food, sleep, bath bed. God blees. ✝️🙏🏽❤️😍🌸
Reply 5
Original post by multirenaissance
Interesting I did see something about this and research. As a born again and natural person am against it all. I tried duffeeeht therapies not worked.Mindful yoga helps, different breathing. Singing. Looking at further studies. It seems laws have relaxed vis a vis drugs anyway. Not good hence rising vilest crime but think mental health and ptsd may be a reason why. II suffer from cptsd different things and took mdma in the 90s. I don’t need to now but feel as though on it. Now just like to walk and sit in greenery or be by water that helps. Also I pray a lot yep born again/ That helps. Listen to music that helps. Would like to study that. Also routine and food, sleep, bath bed. God blees. ✝️🙏🏽❤️😍🌸

1. This thread is 7 years old..
2. Laws have not relaxed particularly on drugs and you immediately equating them with 'vioent crime' is more than slightly wide of the mark given this context
3. How exactly does being err 'born again' help the broader population..?
Reply 6
Original post by multirenaissance

It's all well and good to say that things like excercise, good diet, gardening, playing music, walking in the woods or even spirtualism etc are good for one's mental health (they undoubtedly are, not disputing that), but it's not particularly helpful advice for those who are so deep in depression or anxiety that they lack the motivation to even get out of bed, let alone begin to think about actually practicing any of those things. Some people need extra help just getting back on a healthier path, sometimes that will have to come in the form of medication, or therapy, or both, and there should no shame or stigma attached to that.

Latest

Trending

Trending