The Student Room Group

Ways to get to know your flat mates better?

Im starting uni in September and i would appreciate it if any current students could give me ideas of ways to get to know flat mates better. I know about keeping my door open when I move in and offering sweets and stuff out but is there anything else anyone would recommend? :smile:
Reply 1
Freshers week is a complete breeze when it comes to making friends with people, just be social, keep your door open and go out. I remember my first day tragically dragging my suitcase up 3 flights of stairs, unpacking and saying good bye to my mum and then you open the door and it all starts.

You will have a great time!
if you play sports competitively, your social life (and your whole schedule) evolves around it. it's in or out. obviously if you dont make the cut (as in you are not chosen to represent your college), you have to be out.
Reply 3
I was really worried about this before starting uni too
I met a couple whilst moving suitcases in, but once my parents had left i left my door open while i unpacked so i got talking to a few of them, then later on that evening everyone ended up in the kitchen with shots and deciding where to go out for the night
as long as you don't shut yourself away in your room you'll get to know them, its easier than you think before you go :smile:
might be a good idea to take some cheap alcohol to share around (if you drink), one of the guys in my flat brought a bottle of jack daniels and offered it around, that got the conversation going a bit :smile:
good luck :smile:
A game of never have I ever usually breaks the ice

Posted from TSR Mobile
talk to them. people overthink this crap, just be social, game for anything and not a complete and utter douchebag and you're in business kid
Reply 6
Don't worry too much because everyone is worried about making friends! It's easy to put too much thought into it and stress out! I lurked a lot on the forum on TSR for my Uni and was linked to a Facebook page for my halls and my course and it ended up that 3/5 of my flatmates found eachother before we even went!

My first day was kinda crazy because my halls aren't organized at all, so I had to queue in the rain for 5 hours to get my keys. By the time I got my keys it was pretty late so I unpacked a few things and heard everyone out in the kitchen, so I just went and joined them, one flatmate cooked me dinner to help me out because I was last in and the general discussion was over where we were gunna go drinking that night! We were all pretty clueless of the clubs so we all walked into town and went for a few drinks, it was a good ice breaker!
Reply 7
avoid never have I ever. That **** always gets catty...
Reply 8
My golden rule, the only rule: Do whatever the **** you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest