The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Salvator's Accommodation

Whilst I know you're not allowed to just say you want to be in St. Salvator's when applying for accommodation but does anyone know what to put on the form to better your chances of being assigned there?
Reply 1
I would have thought the best way would be to say that you are willing to share
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by ispyjonnytriff
I would have thought the best way would be to say that you are willing to share

Yes, willing to share; standard (i.e. not en suite); catered. Which might also get you Regs, McIntosh or John Burnett though, or even Uni Hall.
Reply 3
Original post by j3r3mybush3ll
Whilst I know you're not allowed to just say you want to be in St. Salvator's when applying for accommodation but does anyone know what to put on the form to better your chances of being assigned there?

Agree with the others, say you're willing to share. But also I know a few people who said on their emails when they attached their forms that they'd really like a specific hall and they got it - you have nothing to lose.
Reply 4
Hello Sweet Children!

I saw this post and wanted to weigh in on accommodation. I spent my first 2.5 months in St. Salvator's hall and later switched by choice to David Russell Apartments. While it was a beautiful building and everyone was extremely polite and kind, it was also extremely cliquey and once you were in a group very hard to branch out and make new friends. People sit at the same table every meal and hardly ever go out of their comfort zones. The make up was predominantly English and American, and me being an American who came to St. As for an international experience wanted a new perspective on the world I just wasn't getting there. Mold in the winter is also a problem and a health concern.
I chose to move to DRA for several reasons. Most importantly, it is a huge hall allowing you to meet myriad people even months after arriving. It's also extremely international. In my flat we represent Texas, Vermont, Bahrain, Russia, and Northern Ireland. Parties are casual and welcoming here, and being so far from town everyone becomes extremely close in the DRA community. The buildings are also new and modern, and each person has their own bathroom and double bed ( a huge perk imo.) One of the best parts about DRA in comparison to Sallies is the lack of cliques. While I have close friends here who I usually chill with at night, I eat dinner with a different group every night. It is a bit farther from town, but the 20 minute walk gave me the opportunity to lose the weight I gained living in the town centre. It's also close to the science buildings and sports centre. All in all DRA is more like a bigger university setting while sallies reminded me a fair amount of boarding school.
Given that, if you have your heart set on Sallies, I would say you have an improved chance of getting in if you come from old money, have an important relative, or like in my case have a bunch of allergies. Since it is a small hall of residence they were better able to accommodate my food issues in the dining hall. Because Prince William and Kate lived there, I believe the Uni wants to keep the integrity of the hall and put "important people" there. We used to say that there were people in sallies for a reason.
If you have more questions, feel free to pm me :smile:
Original post by j3r3mybush3ll

Speaking from experience, don't get your heart too set on one hall, because you're nearly guaranteed to be disappointed (especially one as small as Sallies). Instead, if you want standard catered, be happy if you get that, because a lot of people aren't even that lucky. In theory, if you put shared standard catered as your top choice, that's your best shot, but many people who put that as their first choice didn't even get into standard catered, let alone Sallies. There's no way to affect which hall you get into.

To respond to the other commentor; yeah, there are some people in Sallies who are rich or important, but most of us are pretty regular. I will say, there's a large proportion of Americans, which is somewhat unpleasant, but such is life. I'm certainly not from an 'elite' family (unless you count the fact that I'm really distantly related to MacBeth? Same clan :biggrin: ) and I haven't noticed that being a problem here.
Reply 6
Original post by ElizabethRG
To respond to the other commentor; yeah, there are some people in Sallies who are rich or important, but most of us are pretty regular. I will say, there's a large proportion of Americans, which is somewhat unpleasant, but such is life. I'm certainly not from an 'elite' family (unless you count the fact that I'm really distantly related to MacBeth? Same clan :biggrin: ) and I haven't noticed that being a problem here.

I didn't say everyone was wealthy or important, just that it would help your chances, which is likely true. And there is nothing wrong with Americans; I just preferred getting a different perspective on life, which I wouldn't get with such a large amount of people from my country. Stereotyping people by their country is wrong.
Original post by Runnerchica
I didn't say everyone was wealthy or important, just that it would help your chances, which is likely true. And there is nothing wrong with Americans; I just preferred getting a different perspective on life, which I wouldn't get with such a large amount of people from my country. Stereotyping people by their country is wrong.

I didn't say all Americans. But the ones I live across from and their friends are a colossal nightmare. Everyone stereotypes by country; fact of life when you're at a very international school. And no one really cares; the number of times I've heard people apply their country's stereotypes to themselves :rolleyes:. To quote Up In the Air: "I stereotype, it's faster."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you all for your help, I'll try and keep my opinions open when it comes to accommodation but sallies would be great, I certainly wouldn't consider myself wealthy or importance, i went to a good English private school but apparently there's lots of people in St. Andrews coming from private school. Just got my offer from St. Andrews, looks like a great uni, can't wait to come
Hey, I'm currently staying in Sallies. The only think I can add to the above mentioned is that we're a hall composed mostly of arts students - this is because the accommodation services tend to place you closer to where your facilities are. So the sorting hat is more likely to place you here if your major is an Arts subject... But saying that we do have a fair number of scientists and medics.

I also have to agree my good friend who left sallies above - it can be cliquey - but it's really not an issue most of the time. Admittedly, not going to a private school, I was a little intimidated, but then you realise that they're just people beneath the facade. There are a couple of 'social climbers', who can just be rude, but they're a tiny minority - and I don't think it's any worse in Sallies than it is in McIntosh Regs, or any other standard catered hall.

I've met the best people here, definitely friends for life (including Runnerchica <3). There's a really good communal atmosphere, and people just wander into each others room for chat. I'm having an amazing time living here - but then again I can see why DRA might suit some people for different reasons.

If you have any questions doesn't hesitate to ask :smile:
Original post by Northern_Ireland

I've met the best people here, definitely friends for life (including Runnerchica <3). There's a really good communal atmosphere, and people just wander into each others room for chat. I'm having an amazing time living here - but then again I can see why DRA might suit some people for different reasons.

If you have any questions doesn't hesitate to ask :smile:

<3 <3 Northern_Ireland was the best part of Sallies :wink: Going back for the ball this friday!
Reply 11
Original post by runnerchica
<3 <3 northern_ireland was the best part of sallies :wink: going back for the ball this friday!

omg katie!!
Reply 12
also piece of advice if people are still wondering about this - I got in by telling them about all my disabilities (not major ones, just learning difficulties etc that make my daily life more difficult than everyone else's) and saying that if possible I needed to be next to the faculties of the subjects I was studying. These happened to be next to Sallies but I didn't know anything about the halls when I applied so it's really just luck that I happened to choose the subjects I did.
Reply 13
Original post by ElizabethRG
Speaking from experience, don't get your heart too set on one hall, because you're nearly guaranteed to be disappointed (especially one as small as Sallies). Instead, if you want standard catered, be happy if you get that, because a lot of people aren't even that lucky. In theory, if you put shared standard catered as your top choice, that's your best shot, but many people who put that as their first choice didn't even get into standard catered, let alone Sallies. There's no way to affect which hall you get into.

Why is it unpleasant that there are many Americans in Sallies? They tend to be better than the English.
OK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending