The Student Room Group

In a pickle

Hi all!
I am a student in yr 12, and I am really confused over what to do in A2 levels.

I got 11A*s in GCSEs and I did 2 AS-levels prior to sixth form (I did Maths and ICT and gained an A in both).

I am studying Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Religious Studies at the moment, and I am also going to complete the full A2 in Maths this year (I'm studying Maths by myself externally).

I was wondering whether I could drop Physics in A2...

I really want to study at Imperial for Medicine, but I am confused over what to do. I will have an early A2 maths grade (hopefully an A*), but should I drop it? Will it affect my chances?

The entry requirements of Imperial are "
three A-levels, including Chemistry and/or Biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS-level" --->So does this mean I have to still do Physics?

Please guys, I need your help and advice :confused:
If you have two as levels : ICT and Maths

And will gain another 4 as levels at the end of this year

You will need to secure 3 a-levels in three of:

maths, chemistry, biology, physics or r.s

Does that help you?

Does that help you?

You could get an a-level in biology, maths, chemistry and have as levels in physics and ICT and meet all the requirements
so you do not have to continue with physics
Reply 3
No, you can drop physics providing you have maths, biology and chemistry at A2 :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Peace&Love

Does that help you?

You could get an a-level in biology, maths, chemistry and have as levels in physics and ICT and meet all the requirements
so you do not have to continue with physics

Thanks for advice!

But a bit of problem I have is that I heard Imperial does not accept early grades as part of their offer. They expect it to be done over Yr 12 and Yr 13. I started Maths in Yr 11, and I'm going to finish it this year (in Yr 12). AS-ICT was completed in Yr 11 (also early).....
Reply 5
Original post by SkinnyKat
No, you can drop physics providing you have maths, biology and chemistry at A2 :smile:

Thanks for advice!

But a bit of problem I have is that I heard Imperial does not accept early grades as part of their offer. They expect it to be done over Yr 12 and Yr 13. I started Maths in Yr 11, and I'm going to finish it this year (in Yr 12). AS-ICT was completed in Yr 11 (also early).....
Reply 6
Original post by stu23
Thanks for advice!

Well, that's strange of them! Taking A levels early shows you are hardworking and dedicated. I suggest you ring or email them to clarify the situation :smile:

I assume you will be applying to other universities though who will accept early A levels. I guess you need to decide that if you did take physics, will you do well in it? Medicine is competitive and there's no point taking physics if your grades will suffer. I really do think chemistry and biology is more relevant to medicine than physics.

There is a lot of anatomy and physiology in medicine so you need knowledge of biology for that. There is also a lot of chemistry/biochemistry when you learn about different medicines and how they work.
Reply 7
Original post by SkinnyKat
Well, that's strange of them! Taking A levels early shows you are hardworking and dedicated. I suggest you ring or email them to clarify the situation :smile:

I assume you will be applying to other universities though who will accept early A levels. I guess you need to decide that if you did take physics, will you do well in it? Medicine is competitive and there's no point taking physics if your grades will suffer. I really do think chemistry and biology is more relevant to medicine than physics.

There is a lot of anatomy and physiology in medicine so you need knowledge of biology for that. There is also a lot of chemistry/biochemistry when you learn about different medicines and how they work.

Thank you so much!

You've been really helpful :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by stu23
Thank you so much!

You've been really helpful :smile:

You're welcome. Good luck in your studies :biggrin:
Lots of useful info about applying for Medicine here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine - including info about exactly what subjects each Med School requires.

Quick Reply

Latest