The Student Room Group

Work experience or holiday...

Hi guys,
I'm struggling to work out what I should do. In the summer I've booked a holiday with my friends but BP have also accepted my application for work experience In there geoscience department on the same dates. The work experience is a fantastic opportunity and is really hard to get but I'd also hate to miss out on this trip.
Has anybody got any ideas?
(edited 10 years ago)
Is it not possible to rebook the holiday for a different date?
Thinking about the long term benefits, the work experience seems like the best option.
However, it is important to have a break and enjoy yourself a bit, so perhaps see if the holiday can be rearranged?
Reply 3
Original post by RSmith1007
Is it not possible to rebook the holiday for a different date?

Original post by dragonkeeper999
Thinking about the long term benefits, the work experience seems like the best option.However, it is important to have a break and enjoy yourself a bit, so perhaps see if the holiday can be rearranged?

Thanks both of you but it would be hard to move the holiday as its already booked and it'd be difficult to convince 10 people to change their plans just for me. Do you think its worth contacting BP to see if it can be rearranged?
Original post by Chris314
Thanks both of you but it would be hard to move the holiday as its already booked and it'd be difficult to convince 10 people to change their plans just for me. Do you think its worth contacting BP to see if it can be rearranged?

How organised was the BP thing? If it was an official scheme with lots of applicants and a set programme, it will pretty much be impossible to rearrange. If it was just something organised via a contact in BP then perhaps there would be more flexibility. However, you do need to be careful - if you don't sound dedicated enough to the work experience placement or cause them too much hassle trying to rearrange it, they may just decide to offer it to someone else instead.
Personally, I would pick BP since in the long term, having work experience at such a great company would be excellent for the CV and could potentially open up opportunities such as future internships/ graduate roles within the company. Mind you, if you are not particularly interested in BP or working in similar companies it perhaps isn't too essential, however it would still be a great CV boost for any science/ engineering related field.
There will be other opportunities to go on holiday with friends in the future - or perhaps you could organise a smaller holiday (something like camping/ walking/ drinking in the lake district, pretty cheap) later on if you and your friends still have some time and cash left over - that way you can still meet up with them all and have a nice break, but without missing the BP work experience.
Reply 5
How organised was the BP thing? If it was an official scheme with lots of applicants and a set programme, it will pretty much be impossible to rearrange....There will be othe BP work experience.

It is an organised scheme however I know the head of the department personally, do you think this might make it possible to rearrange? I'll try and talk to my friends today but with it being the last year of sixth form they're pretty intent on a big holiday.
It is an organised scheme however I know the head of the department personally, do you think this might make it possible to rearrange? I'll try and talk to my friends today but with it being the last year of sixth form they're pretty intent on a big holiday.

I think it would be pretty hard to rearrange the BP thing. They have probably planned several things for you to do, organised a few people for you to shadow, possibly chosen a small project for you - all of which needs to fit inside their schedule for the year.
However, it also depends a bit on how much you would need to rearrange it by - if it's just bumping it forward by a couple of days you may be able to manage it, if you need to completely change the month then perhaps not.
How well do you know the head of department? If they're a close family friend, perhaps chat to them informally about it. But really make sure you don't give the impression that your holiday is more important that the work experience they have put so much effort into arranging for you.
How set in stone are your friends plans? Have you already booked the whole holiday or are you still in the late planning stages? If things haven't been 100% confirmed yet, it should be possible to ask them to rearrange things a bit.

I would recommend doing everything possible to persuade your friends to rearrange the holiday before approaching BP. And still really consider your priorities - the work experience opportunity is far more important for you in the long term than a holiday. You can go on holiday with your friends later in the summer or next year. There may never be the opportunity again to do such great work experience, particularly if you irritate BP/ your contact by messing them around trying to rearrange things or turning down their offer.
Reply 7
I think it would be pretty hard to rearrange the BP thing.....

We've already booked it and payed the deposit as well as the first installment so there's no way to move it but I've been invited to some festivals later in the summer so I might pull out of the holiday and go to those instead.
I don't want BP to think I'm not taking this seriously especially as I'd quite like to work for them when i graduate although I might drop my contact an informal email to see if she can do anything. Or is this too risky?
Also do you reckon I'll get a refund on what I've played for the holiday already?
We've already booked it and payed the deposit as well as the first installment so there's no way to move it but I've been invited to some festivals later in the summer so I might pull out of the holiday and go to those instead.
I don't want BP to think I'm not taking this seriously especially as I'd quite like to work for them when i graduate although I might drop my contact an informal email to see if she can do anything. Or is this too risky?
Also do you reckon I'll get a refund on what I've played for the holiday already?

Hmmm...
I doubt you'll be able to get your deposit back - your only real option there is to try to find another friend to take your place and pay you the money...
If you're really keen on BP then it really makes sense to go for the work experience. It's probably a bit risky asking your contact, unless it is really informally and they are good family friends (i.e. know you really well and won't tell BP).
Reply 9
Hmmm...
I doubt you'll be able to get your deposit back - your only real option there is to try to find another friend to take your place and pay you the money...
If you're really keen on BP then it really makes sense to go for the work experience. It's probably a bit risky asking your contact, unless it is really informally and they are good family friends (i.e. know you really well and won't tell BP).

That's not great but not a deal breaker really I'm sure I can work something out. My contact is a family friend of my girlfriend do you reckon that's informal enough?
(edited 10 years ago)
That's not great but not a deal breaker really I'm sure I can work something out. My contact is a family friend of my girlfriend do you reckon that's informal enough?

Hopefully :smile:

How well do you know them? If they're the kind of person you would say hi and chat to if you bumped into them etc. then it would probably be fine. If they're the kind of person you met once, shook hands and made awkward conversation then perhaps it would be more difficult...
It's hard to judge via an online chat forum to a complete stranger, unfortunately it's probably a risk you're going to have to work out yourself...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending