The Student Room Group

What is it like doing a Finance degree?

Really want to know some perspectives before
committing to starting the course at university.

What do you enjoy about the degree?

What are you looking to do once you have finished
(i.e.what new doors are open to you with this degree)?

How many hours do you invest into completing
assigned work?

Would it be a big jump if I have not done any
previous relevant qualifications? I have only
completed A level Maths

Any recommended readings/courses before starting
to make the transition smoother?

Do you find that you get enough time for preparation
before university exams?

Would really appreciate responses because I never
ever want to make a choice that I will regret
later.

Thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 1
For someone with aspirations to be an accountant, doing a Finance degree is a long, drawn out and expensive way to earn exemptions from about a year's worth of exams with CIMA, ACCA or the ICAEW. For those with other aspirations in Finance, it's an expensive way to learn that employers prefer degrees in Physics, Economics or Mathematics (for investment bankers) or don't care what subject you studied (everybody else).

Financial Services generally is a profession that is very well supported by some excellent professional qualifications offered by bodies like the CFA Institute, CISI, the accountancy bodies, the CII, ICSA and the IFS to name a few. What this means in practice is that the only real purpose of an undergraduate degree is to earn exemptions. I would almost always advise people who are trying to break into finance (with the exception of some front office positions) to start at 18 and get professional qualifications rather than a degree.

However, there are some very limited exceptions. For example, in your case as I know from previous posts, your A-Levels may not be ideal so school leaver programmes might not be an option. In these cases I would recommend Manchester Metropolitans' collaborative degree with the ICAEW. I recommend this for several reasons, including that it will give you 100% of exemptions and won't cost £27,000!

A caveat though. I would still recommend you just go and do AAT instead of getting a degree.
Original post by AW1983
For someone with aspirations to be an accountant, doing a Finance degree is a long, drawn out and expensive way to earn exemptions from about a year's worth of exams with CIMA, ACCA or the ICAEW. For those with other aspirations in Finance, it's an expensive way to learn that employers prefer degrees in Physics, Economics or Mathematics (for investment bankers) or don't care what subject you studied (everybody else).

Financial Services generally is a profession that is very well supported by some excellent professional qualifications offered by bodies like the CFA Institute, CISI, the accountancy bodies, the CII, ICSA and the IFS to name a few. What this means in practice is that the only real purpose of an undergraduate degree is to earn exemptions. I would almost always advise people who are trying to break into finance (with the exception of some front office positions) to start at 18 and get professional qualifications rather than a degree.

However, there are some very limited exceptions. For example, in your case as I know from previous posts, your A-Levels may not be ideal so school leaver programmes might not be an option. In these cases I would recommend Manchester Metropolitans' collaborative degree with the ICAEW. I recommend this for several reasons, including that it will give you 100% of exemptions and won't cost £27,000!

A caveat though. I would still recommend you just go and do AAT instead of getting a degree.

I've noticed from some of your posts you are very much pro "not going to university". How come? Myself, I dropped out of university because I hated it and felt it was a complete waste of my time, but I can still see the value for others.
Reply 3
I don't advocate not going to university generally, only for certain professions such as accountants. If you want to be a lawyer, psychologist, social worker, scientist, teacher or engineer, then I think university is probably one of the best options (if not the only one). However, for accountants it's normally a waste of time and money (and universities are generally only too happy for students to waste money).

Remember, to be recognised as an accountant in this country then you need to be qualified with one of the professional bodies. Except for members of the AAT, who are not really seen as fully qualified accountants by the market, they all have similar requirements. This includes about 2-3 years of taking exams and 3 years of work experience. Generally the exams cost between £1 - £2k to sit, not including tuition. So, you can leave school, train as an accountant and be finished at age 21.

Or instead you can go to university first. Unlike, say, law where a lot of the professional study is actually done at university, at best you'll get exemptions for about 18 months' worth of exams. Worse, those exemptions often lead to candidates entering the professional examinations at a level that university has left them woefully unprepared for (because generally the standard of university accounting is poor) and they then go on to fail. ACCA in particular is far too generous with its exemptions.

Once you complete your degree after three years and with £27,000 in debt, you still have to complete three years of practical training and at least another year of exams. The earliest you'll qualify is at age 24. Also, if you get less than a 2:1 the Big 4 won't want to know you, even if you had A-levels good enough to join them as a school leaver! So you could even go to university and come out of it with less options than you started with.

So, in summary, for an accountant a degree represents a waste of time; a waste of money and potentially a lost opportunity. That's why I recommend accountants don't do degrees. If they really want a degree, they should do a 'top up' after their professional exams.
Original post by AW1983
I don't advocate not going to university generally, only for certain professions such as accountants. If you want to be a lawyer, psychologist, social worker, scientist, teacher or engineer, then I think university is probably one of the best options (if not the only one). However, for accountants it's normally a waste of time and money (and universities are generally only too happy for students to waste money).

Remember, to be recognised as an accountant in this country then you need to be qualified with one of the professional bodies. Except for members of the AAT, who are not really seen as fully qualified accountants by the market, they all have similar requirements. This includes about 2-3 years of taking exams and 3 years of work experience. Generally the exams cost between £1 - £2k to sit, not including tuition. So, you can leave school, train as an accountant and be finished at age 21.

Or instead you can go to university first. Unlike, say, law where a lot of the professional study is actually done at university, at best you'll get exemptions for about 18 months' worth of exams. Worse, those exemptions often lead to candidates entering the professional examinations at a level that university has left them woefully unprepared for (because generally the standard of university accounting is poor) and they then go on to fail. ACCA in particular is far too generous with its exemptions.

Once you complete your degree after three years and with £27,000 in debt, you still have to complete three years of practical training and at least another year of exams. The earliest you'll qualify is at age 24. Also, if you get less than a 2:1 the Big 4 won't want to know you, even if you had A-levels good enough to join them as a school leaver! So you could even go to university and come out of it with less options than you started with.

So, in summary, for an accountant a degree represents a waste of time; a waste of money and potentially a lost opportunity. That's why I recommend accountants don't do degrees. If they really want a degree, they should do a 'top up' after their professional exams.

Agreed, but not everybody knows they want to be an accountant, it's a big decision to make at 17/18 years of age. University will always be the 'safe' option and I really do think the university experience is not to be discounted. Despite not completing my studies, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at university and can honestly say I am a better person for going, I learnt more about myself than I could have imagined.
Reply 5
Original post by AW1983

Good answer.
I am actually improving my A levels, so I should meet the 300+ UCAS requirement for most school leaver programs (do understand that most only count first sittings, though).

I accept that I will have to do accounting for a few years, but is there an option later on to move into global/investment banking based on my performance and work experience, without going to a 'top' university for undergrad?

That is where I want to end up, so just need to get the progression route into perspective.

Thanks a lot :smile:
It's surounding yourself with issues of money and finance every day then going back and realizing your student loan still isn't through so you don't have anything in which to practically apply your Degree to.
Reply 7
Agreed, but not everybody knows they want to be an accountant, it's a big decision to make at 17/18 years of age. University will always be the 'safe' option and I really do think the university experience is not to be discounted. Despite not completing my studies, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at university and can honestly say I am a better person for going, I learnt more about myself than I could have imagined.

That's cool, I enjoyed University too. However, why study accountancy unless you know you want to be an accountant? Either you will decide against it and have a degree that's slightly troubling on your CV as you beat a new path (it is a very vocational option) or decide upon it and wish you'd just done the professional qualification and saved some cash. Surely it would make far more sense to get a versatile degree such as Economics or Mathematics or to do something that particularly interests you? I did History and don't regret it at all. The most sensible thing for the undecided to do, in my view, is to find a subject that adds another string to their bow. Information Systems skills are increasingly important for accountants of the future (not to mention for Compliance professionals) and are an excellent subject for students wanting to get into finance as the skills are so in demand.
Reply 8
I accept that I will have to do accounting for a few years, but is there an option later on to move into global/investment banking based on my performance and work experience, without going to a 'top' university for undergrad?

Of course there is, especially if your 'further education' is done with a Big 4 firm. Neither of my brothers did a degree and went straight into the ICAEW. Both qualified at 21, both now working for very well know private equity businesses. In fact, they're putting this ICSA qualified poster with his History degree to shame! I really must get on with improving my own qualifications!
Reply 9
Original post by AW1983
Of course there is, especially if your 'further education' is done with a Big 4 firm. Neither of my brothers did a degree and went straight into the ICAEW. Both qualified at 21, both now working for very well know private equity businesses. In fact, they're putting this ICSA qualified poster with his History degree to shame! I really must get on with improving my own qualifications!

Thanks, lots of useful info there to start making a decision.

Now the question is, would a training provider take me on with grades like ABC/ABB at A level? (They are slightly lower because I did not take ANY practical exams for the sciences which are 25% weighing of the grade.)
Reply 10
Good question. I think it might depend partly on how willing you are to 'go regional' and work outside of the big city centres like London. I would suspect the grades are good enough for someone with at least an accounting function to train you to take you on where you could do AAT, ACCA or CIMA but you'll need to go through a painstaking search of approved ICAEW employers to see if you meet the criteria for that qualification (if you don't and really want ICAEW, the path is any firm with accounting function to get AAT then look again).

I think you'll make it one way or another to become a fully qualified accountant provided that you stay open minded. Once there you'll be on a level playing field with most other fully qualified accountants (to become level will require Big 4 experience). Before anyone accuses me of naivety, I'll caveat that by pointing out that the hurdles to become an accountant are largely academic and there are still a lot of open doors; the real challenge is how far you get once you're qualified. Whether you make it to investment banking is too hard to say. That really depends on where you are five years from now!
Original post by AW1983

What do you mean by a 'top up' degree?
Reply 12
This is a very quick summary of what a 'top up' degree is. As you may or may not be aware, an undergraduate honours degree is normally made up of 360 credits, 120 credits per year. This is based on the European Credit Transfer System where 10 hours of study is worth 1 credit. The same applies to postgraduate years.

Typically the credit system applies to academic qualifications but it can be translated to professional qualifications too. For example, if you were to do all four levels of ICSA you'd have the equivalent of an hours degree and a postgraduate diploma; that's why ICSA graduates can go to places like Northampton University and do their ICSA top up degree which is a postgraduate masters where you only do about 60 of the required 180 credits for the full degree.

Accountancy bodies qualifications probably equate to about 240 credits. It may be more, I'm not entirely sure. For students holding these qualifications, some universities will offer to let them do a top up degree. For example, Birkbeck does a top up degree for the ICAEW and Oxford Brookes does one for ACCA. Robert Gordon University does one for CIMA. These degrees can all be done part time whilst working.

Generally, to get a degree at any university they normally require as a minimum that you study 120 credits of final year study with them. So typically a top up degree will be 120 credits at NQF 6, the level of a third year undergraduate (NQF 3 = A-Level/BTEC / NQF 4 = University Certificate/First Year / NQF 5 = Higher Diploma / Second Year / NQF 6 = Honours Degree / NQF 7-8 = Masters etc).

Other professions also have top up degrees. There are top up Masters qualifications for ICSA for example. People who do the ICA's Diploma in Compliance can do a top up with the University of Manchester. Hertfordshire does a top up degree in Computing for those qualified with the BCS. Etc.

Historically, top up degrees were for people who held HNDs and wanted to go further but obviously they have evolved with professional institutes also taking advantage. They're a great idea for people who want to go straight into work but may require a degree for future study or personal satisfaction. A great many universities offer them although to find them it's best to focus on the leaders of distance and part time education.
Reply 13
Original post by AW1983
This is a very quick summary of what a 'top up' degree is. As you may or may not be aware, an undergraduate honours degree is normally made up of 360 credits, 120 credits per year. This is based on the European Credit Transfer System where 10 hours of study is worth 1 credit. The same applies to postgraduate years.

Typically the credit system applies to academic qualifications but it can be translated to professional qualifications too. For example, if you were to do all four levels of ICSA you'd have the equivalent of an hours degree and a postgraduate diploma; that's why ICSA graduates can go to places like Northampton University and do their ICSA top up degree which is a postgraduate masters where you only do about 60 of the required 180 credits for the full degree.

Accountancy bodies qualifications probably equate to about 240 credits. It may be more, I'm not entirely sure. For students holding these qualifications, some universities will offer to let them do a top up degree. For example, Birkbeck does a top up degree for the ICAEW and Oxford Brookes does one for ACCA. Robert Gordon University does one for CIMA. These degrees can all be done part time whilst working.

Generally, to get a degree at any university they normally require as a minimum that you study 120 credits of final year study with them. So typically a top up degree will be 120 credits at NQF 6, the level of a third year undergraduate (NQF 3 = A-Level/BTEC / NQF 4 = University Certificate/First Year / NQF 5 = Higher Diploma / Second Year / NQF 6 = Honours Degree / NQF 7-8 = Masters etc).

Other professions also have top up degrees. There are top up Masters qualifications for ICSA for example. People who do the ICA's Diploma in Compliance can do a top up with the University of Manchester. Hertfordshire does a top up degree in Computing for those qualified with the BCS. Etc.

Historically, top up degrees were for people who held HNDs and wanted to go further but obviously they have evolved with professional institutes also taking advantage. They're a great idea for people who want to go straight into work but may require a degree for future study or personal satisfaction. A great many universities offer them although to find them it's best to focus on the leaders of distance and part time education.

Very useful info as usual, thanks a lot. :smile:
Reply 14
As has been mentioned already, it's not necessary to have a degree to get into accounting or finance. having just left a job in finance to change the direction of my career, I worked with many folk with degrees, but they couldn't progress as the thought of spending another year or two studying for the required professional qualifications was very demotivating for them. Whereas I got an entry level job (no degree), completed all the relevant industry exams and progressed quite easily.

If it's investment banking you want to get into, Engineering seems to be the degree to do, I know two Engineering graduates, ones an accountant and the other is an analyst.

I grew tired of the sales nature of working in finance mind you, and couldn't have done it until I retired, so that's why I quit a job paying between 4 & 9k quarterly bonuses to be a student :s-smilie:
Reply 15
The advantage of a degree is that it is easier to change careers. However, I still always say do the professional qualification first if it's an option. If nothing else you could probably find some pretty lucrative part time contract work when you're at university!
Not sure I agree with all the numbers in this thread. A non law graduate needs to do a one year course to "catch up" (theoretically) with 3 / 4 year Law degree. Plus a further year professional training / qualification.
Reply 17
A non-law graduate who wants to be a solicitor will have 5 years of post-secondary education (undergraduate degree, graduate diploma in law, legal practice course) and 2 years of work experience before they qualify (training contract). A barrister will also have 5 years of post-secondary education (undergraduate degree, graduate diploma in law, bar professional training course) but only 1 year of work experience before they qualify (pupillage). Law graduates will typically require 4 years of post-secondary education and the same amount of work experience, so non-law graduates typically take 1 extra year to qualify.

Accountants take at least three years to qualify from the point that they leave full time education. So, they need more work experience than lawyers but the educational requirements are less (typically, a professional qualification in accountancy will take 2-2.5 years of study with a sponsoring employer. Studying on your own will most likely take longer). The fastest way to become an accountant is to join a school leavers scheme and do any of the accounting bodies' exams at the same time as getting three years work experience. They will qualify about three years after leaving secondary school. The slowest way to become an accountant is to do a degree first. Even if you get loads of exemptions from your degree, you still have to do the three years work experience so it will take a minimum of 6 years post secondary to qualify. Professions that are similar in intent to accountancy such as ICSA have similar requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending