The Student Room Group

CCEA C3 20th January 2014

How did everyone find the exam?

I've included my unofficial mark scheme.
Let me know if you think anything should be changed :biggrin:

Edit: I forgot to include one of the questions in the first draft.
The second PDF is the exact same as the first except for the additional question.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GingerCodeMan
How did everyone find the exam?

I've included my unofficial mark scheme.
Let me know if you think anything should be changed :biggrin:

I can't remember precisely my figure for the iteration Q7(ii), although it obviously was 2. something, but your answers to everything appears correct.

It was fine really.
I thought the paper was an utter disaster frankly. Thinking I got 60-65 and I want an A* so I'm going to have to repeat again in may I'm afraid.
They've definitely stepped up the difficulty. Both this paper and may/june 2013 were far harder than any of the previous ones. I was doing past papers from 2011 & 2012 and scored 75/75 in pretty much everyone.
Original post by Sharpshooter
They've definitely stepped up the difficulty. Both this paper and may/june 2013 were far harder than any of the previous ones. I was doing past papers from 2011 & 2012 and scored 75/75 in pretty much everyone.

Not sure today's was any harder than the past. I'd say the phraseing of the questions was atypical... and therefore a cool head was needed to recognise the structure of the question. But I think the content was the same as usual.For example, when you see the trig identity in Q6 (sec^2x + sin^2x + cosec^x etc etc) you think how do I start? But then you spot that there are pairs equalling 1 and its a dawdle... but its not the usual thing you expect.

And the way the Newton/Raphson in Q7 was put was different... but its the same old just using 'p' instead of 'x'

The last question about differentiating cosec^x was a bit tougher, I agree there. But even thinking about the cosec/cosec^2 graph it was apparent there could only be MIN TP, although the calculus/algebra had to be done with care.

I don't think on the whole it was too bad, and think the UMS will reflect that. I'd imagine you're looking at 66+ to hit 90%.

By the way, how on earth does the OP remember the questions so well, and have time to do a lovely set of solutions like that after!!! Amazing!
Original post by game well and truly over

I don't think on the whole it was too bad, and think the UMS will reflect that. I'd imagine you're looking at 66+ to hit 90%.

Typically you're needing 70+ raw marks to get the 90 UMS. Last year it was 70 for C3 Jan and 72 for C4 June!
Typically you're needing 70+ raw marks to get the 90 UMS. Last year it was 70 for C3 Jan and 72 for C4 June!

Really? That high?

Where do you find that out?
Really? That high?

Where do you find that out?

I asked people (on here) who sat it last year. I asked a few different people whose results were different from each other and the uniform mark trend was consistent. I think I even bizzarely wrote them down somewhere. :tongue: *checks*:

C3 Jan 13, 68/75, 86 UMS
C3 Jan 13, 71/75, 92 UMS
C3 Jan 13, 74/75, 98 UMS
----------------------------------------------
C4 June 13, 64/75, 76 UMS
C4 June 13, 74/75, 97 UMS
C4 June 13, 73/75, 93 UMS
(edited 10 years ago)
I can't open the pdf for some reason :tongue:

EDIT: Ignore this, it opened, and I got the same answer :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
How did you do such neat solutions so soon after!!?!

Yeah, think all is correct. Hopefully no minor slip-ups... cos if the posts above are correct, 74/75 might only be 95%....
How did you do such neat solutions so soon after!!?!

Yeah, think all is correct. Hopefully no minor slip-ups... cos if the posts above are correct, 74/75 might only be 95%....

Thanks :smile: I didn't have class afterwards, and I made a primitive template beforehand so I could get started right away.
C4 Wednesday....
C4 Wednesday....

Could you please tell me what that was like (assuming you are sitting it). I'm desperate to try to get hold of a copy of the paper somehow, I was due to sit it but pulled out as I still haven't done the trig for it yet.

The trends for C4 are that it isn't getting harder the way C3 is. C4 was supposed to be very easy last may (hence the highly scaled uniform marks) from what I was told, a very 100% type of paper.

So I am interested to see whether CCEA are trying make C4 any harder as well. I would have backed myself to get full marks in the last 2 C4 papers (should I learn the trig successfully). It appears to me so far C4 is easier than C3, I might be in a minority in saying that though. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Could you please tell me what that was like (assuming you are sitting it). I'm desperate to try to get hold of a copy of the paper somehow, I was due to sit it but pulled out as I still haven't done the trig for it yet.

The trends for C4 are that it isn't getting harder the way C3 is. C4 was supposed to be very easy last may (hence the highly scaled uniform marks) from what I was told, a very 100% type of paper.

So I am interested to see whether CCEA are trying make C4 any harder as well. I would have backed myself to get full marks in the last 2 C4 papers (should I learn the trig successfully). It appears to me so far C4 is easier than C3, I might be in a minority in saying that though. :tongue:

Mmmm C4 was indeed quite a bit more difficult than previous papers.

Several quite tricky questions.
Anyone posting on this thread like to try out a vector question from today for me?
Anyone posting on this thread like to try out a vector question from today for me?

Was it on C4?
Original post by Yishen Wang
Was it on C4?

Yeah. Here it is.... I'll abbreviate:

3 position vectors are given:

OA= 2, -6, -1

OB= 2, 6, 1

OT= 0,0,25

Find the lengths of AT and BT.
Yeah. Here it is.... I'll abbreviate:

3 position vectors are given:

OA= 2, -6, -1

OB= 2, 6, 1

OT= 0,0,25

Find the lengths of AT and BT.

I got AT=2√179=26.8 BT=2√154=24.8
Not sure if I did it right though :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Yishen Wang
I got AT=2√179=26.8 BT=2√154=24.8
Not sure if I did it right though :biggrin:

I'll let one or two others comment... but those answers match mine AFAIR.

However theres a slight problem I haven't told you about yet :wink:
I'll let one or two others comment... but those answers match mine AFAIR.

However theres a slight problem I haven't told you about yet :wink:

That means I wasn't too wrong then...

Oh wait theres a slight problem? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending