The Student Room Group

picking the best a levels for medecine?

these are the options I'm taking, what do you think I should change? (I know I'm taking a few more than usual, but medecine is so competitive):

to full A level:
biology
chemistry
english lit
pyschology/history (both to AS, then carry on the one I like most:biggrin:)

extra AS levels:
statistics
critical thinking (if offered):wink:

the one I'm curious about is statistics...I'm good at maths, but don't enjoy 'pure' maths, but statistics sounds better and apparently is easier???:redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
This includes all the information you could possibly want about Applying for Medicine - including a list of required subjects by each Medical School.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Reply 2
Original post by Dreamingofcali
(I know I'm taking a few more than usual, but medecine is so competitive):

You don't need to take extra A-levels to prove yourself against other candidates, your unis will only look at the 3 most relevant and give you an offer based on that anyway. Do the ones you think you'd enjoy and be best at. As for critical thinking, I know universities don't see it as a proper a level, not sure about statistics counting as a full a level either, unless you mean full a level maths with statistics modules [ie s1, s2 with c1-c4] which isn't so bad, since I personally found s1 quite easy and s2 even easier
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
This includes all the information you could possibly want about Applying for Medicine - including a list of required subjects by each Medical School.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

thanks, this really helps!

The subjects you've picked are fine (I always recommend Biology and Chemistry + whatever you enjoy), but please know that doing 6 AS levels and 4 full A-levels won't put you in a better position than the applicants with the traditional 4 AS levels and 3 A-levels. Unis don't confer any advantage to these students when scoring. :smile:

Yeah like other people have said there is no real advantage to doing more than the normal number of A levels. Even if you do 5 A2s, universities will probably only give you an offer relating to AAA, ignoring your other 2 results.

Id say do biology and chemistry. Im pretty sure chemistry is the only one required by all medical schools. Biology isnt required for a some medical schools but you can close the door on a good few if you dont take it. For your third choice do something you enjoy and can do well in. I think its fair to say chemistry and biology are considered pretty hard A levels. I personally would advise doing something easier (no offence intended) like geography/something arty. I think doing an arts subject alongside the two sciences gives you a litter more to talk about in interview.
I'd do biology and chemistry and one of either maths or physics as it shows you're a student who can cope with 3 difficult A levels.
I'd say do 4 AS and A2s at most, any more is just going to decrease the likelihood of getting good grades, and then if you do that make sure it's all sciences or you will have too much work, I tried doing Psychology as my 4th A2 and it ended up being more work than my other subjects combined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending