The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Widowmaker
Nope not at all. I said their material. You think that because they sing a song by a previous artist it automatically becomes their material? No.

I'd call the 'material' of a band anything they try to sing, irrespecitve of where it came from.

Their own stuff alone would be 'original material', or 'self-writtten material' or something similarly named.
Roger Kirk
I'd call the 'material' of a band anything they try to sing, irrespecitve of where it came from.

Their own stuff alone would be 'original material', or 'self-writtten material' or something similarly named.

Well I intended to mean Mcfly's original material. Sorry you misinterpreted.
serious narb
think you probably mean Tom had a throat infection, pretty sure Dougie doesn't normally sing. and Widowmaker, Mcfly are fairly talented for a boy band, they also write better lyrics than anything Queen ever produced.

Tom then. But my point was that it was a good performance.
Widowmaker
I'm saying, a 40 year old is more likely to enjoy and listen to Queen than a 20 year old since they were alive when their stuff was popular, considering you weren't born when their first stuff came out.

Well, I was born when a lot of their later stuff as released.

But where have I said I personally don't like listening to Queen? IOn fact, I think it's pretty decent stuff. It's just that I've ben sayin in this thread that McFly are also decent and that I think I may prefer their version of 'Don't stop me Now' to Queen's version.

You see I can appreciate music from both the past and the present and form my own opinions on what I think might be better or worse wqithout feeling the need to slag off another group and call then names like you have been doing.
Roger Kirk
Well, I was born when a lot of their later stuff as released.

But where have I said I personally don't like listening to Queen? IOn fact, I think it's pretty decent stuff. It's just that I've ben sayin in this thread that McFly are also decent and that I think I may prefer their version of 'Don't stop me Now' to Queen's version.

You see I can appreciate music from both the past and the present and form my own opinions on what I think might be better or worse wqithout feeling the need to slag off another group and call then names like you have been doing.

All I hope is that Queen are never forgotten and considering how many people are slagging them off in this thread, it seems pretty likely in the future.
Widowmaker
God you're a prick. You admit that you celebrated because someone died of AIDS? You are seriously ****ed up in the head.
I don't even think you know who Queen are, letalone who Freddie Mercury is. Do you actually know when he died? I doubt it, cos if you did you'd realise that your statement is pretty stupid.

Did he say that he actually celebrated the day he died? No, just that he might have. Do you really think he would have? If you do, then you're a lost cause.

But on a more serious note, do you actually know where you were when you heard about his death? I do. It was a Monday morning and I was sat in the local doctors surgery with my Mum because I was off school ill. I can even take you to the seating area I was sat in if you want.
Widowmaker
What the hell are you on about?
Bohemium Rhapsody is undoubtedly Queen's best song. Have you actually listened to it or were you born yesterday?

Yes I've listened to it. You can't bloody escape it, can you? Oh noes, someone has different taste in music to you!!111

It isn't utter genius, and I'm not that impressed by it. Grow up and realise that your preferences aren't the be all and end all. No need to insult the intelligence of people who have a difference of opinion. I'm sure you wouldn't like my favourite bands very much, but I'm not going to take it so seriously or personally.

Music is s.u.b.j.e.c.t.i.v.e.
Widowmaker
So you admit you celebrate Freddie Mercury's death at the age of 5. Round of applause everyone. Not..... :mad:

it was obviously a joke, lighten up.....

I think you seem to be trying to dismiss the likes of RK and myself as being completely ignorant to knowing about Queen but it seems evident that we have listened to a lot of their stuff, read a lot about them, seen clips of them etc. I know it wasn't music around for me to really grow up with but I can still have my opinions of them. It is especially stupid of you to have that opinion considering i'm actually older than you are.
Roger Kirk
Did he say that he actually celebrated the day he died? No, just that he might have. Do you really think he would have? If you do, then you're a lost cause.

But on a more serious note, do you actually know where you were when you heard about his death? I do. It was a Monday morning and I was sat in the local doctors surgery with my Mum because I was off school ill. I can even take you to the seating area I was sat in if you want.

The fact he even said it disturbs me.

Unfortunately at the age of about 3/4 years old I don't think I knew about much music!
dogtanian
Yes I've listened to it. You can't bloody escape it, can you? Oh noes, someone has different taste in music to you!!111

It isn't utter genius, and I'm not that impressed by it. Grow up and realise that your preferences aren't the be all and end all. No need to insult the intelligence of people who have a difference of opinion.

Music is s.u.b.j.e.c.t.i.v.e.

Thankfully all my friends agree with me. We all sang Queen songs in our last ever maths lesson.
Widowmaker
All I hope is that Queen are never forgotten and considering how many people are slagging them off in this thread, it seems pretty likely in the future.

As if they ever will be orgotten (well for a very long time at least).

They were and are too big a part of British music history for them to be forgotten easily. But you have to understand that at any one time there will be a lot of people who don't like their music (even if loads of other do...after all even at the time they were selling all their records there would have been many critics too). Also, as time progresses, you cannot expect their music to have the smae level of support from people. Tastes change. Thier music will go in and out of fashion as the years progress. Sometimes they may be hailed as marvelous musicians who created masterpieces (didn't mean to use all the alliteration there) other times there music might be considered to worse ever to have been heard and people will not be able to nderstand how the hell people wanted to spend money on buying such drivel.
serious narb
it was obviously a joke, lighten up.....

I think you seem to be trying to dismiss the likes of RK and myself as being completely ignorant to knowing about Queen but it seems evident that we have listened to a lot of their stuff, read a lot about them, seen clips of them etc. I know it wasn't music around for me to really grow up with but I can still have my opinions of them. It is especially stupid of you to have that opinion considering i'm actually older than you are.

If that's your idea of a joke well then I pity you.
Widowmaker
Thankfully all my friends agree with me. We all sang Queen songs in our last ever maths lesson.

well everyone sings along to Queen songs in clubs as well, i'll happily join in, it's catchy and good stuff to have when you're drunk, in a similar way people in clubs would sing along to Mcfly....
Widowmaker

Well, I'm glad that you all have something that you love, and something that marked that day for you.

But please don't call people who don't feel the same about a band idiots. It's not really fair, is it?
Widowmaker
If that's your idea of a joke well then I pity you.

it wound you up a treat though didn't it?
Widowmaker

What a boring lot you must be if you don't have any differing opinions on music...

...but I must say that on my last night at uni in my first year Bohemian Rhapsody was the last song played at the event which was being held. It was a great song to end the night ona nd I remmebr a great ring of my firends all in a ring, arms around each other dancing to it...
mcfly should be crucified.
dementedbunny
mcfly should be crucified.

Was about to have a go but just realised you like awesome music, Mew, Explosions in the Sky etc. actually amazing music:tsr2:
Reply 78
ignore what they say. please stop them, now.

'Don't Stop Me Now' was my favourite song and everything thing ='(
Reply 79
serious narb
well everyone sings along to Queen songs in clubs as well, i'll happily join in, it's catchy and good stuff to have when you're drunk, in a similar way people in clubs would sing along to Mcfly....

I wouldn't. I have actually gone and sat down/gone to the Bar during Bohemian Rhapsody before. I do the same with Summer of '69 and Livin' on a Prayer as well.

Latest