The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Got an A* on the exam and overall got an A*. Was surprised to say the least.
I had the same thing, this exam helped me get from a B last year to an A*!
117 UMS in this exam, and I went up from a B last year to an A* this year too! This should encourage anyone looking at this thread who's taking this exam in 2015 :h:
could anyone please tell me what question 1 was ?
I got a high B in this exam! I did questions 1 and 3!
Original post by Alexadd
I hope you don't mind but I've uploaded two of my own essays, they both got 38/40 however I was unable to upload the marked copies, sorry!

It still doesnt work.
Original post by HayaBukhari
Me and my friends did notes on the chapters. They are pretty detailed so I hope it's helpful. Missing chapter 5 though because I can't find the copy!

Have you found Chapter 5??

These notes are the best!!
Original post by bkw321
Got an A* on the exam and overall got an A*. Was surprised to say the least.

If anyone needs any help on this paper/exam please don't hesitate to private message me. I did this exam 2 years ago and got an A* and currently I'm just studied this in my second year at Uni, along with the reigns of Henry VIII, James and Charles.
Can anyone suggest a good essay structure? Struggling a bit...
Reply 529
Does anyone have last year's questions? AQA still haven't updated their past papers :unimpressed:
Reply 530
Original post by dewdropdew
Can anyone suggest a good essay structure? Struggling a bit...

It's something I've always struggled with too. I think essentially you have to know where you stand on the 'debate' for each question and highlight that in your introduction so that you have a driving force for the rest of the essay from the beginning. What I find so much harder than with the AS exam is understanding what the examiner wants from each question and actually breaking down the question. We did a practice one for assessing threat in terms of Puritans and Catholics and the essay structure was essentially going through each threat 'level' ie recusants and conformists all the way through to the more serious plotters and separatists and using that to support our argument. For another question, it might just be breaking it down by more generalised themes. From what I've been told by my teacher, the most essential thing is to have formulated your own view rather than sitting on the fence.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by annmcc
Can anyone share some good historiography? The only one that sticks in my mind is 'flood-tide of radicalism' by Duffy about Edward :frown: absolutely dreading this exam. I hate history haha
G

Got quite a bit of historiography on Elizabeth (my teacher says its vital!)

Elizabeth

Lake - 'two-speed view' of the Elizabethan Church Settlement (i.e. Elizabeth thought that it settled the religious question for good, others thought it was a first step towards later reform) (1559-)

Neale - Settlement a precursor to further reform

Haugaard - Elizabeth saw the settlement as final rather than, as Neale suggests, a precursor to further reform

Guy - “El controlled her policy more than any other Tudor”

Alford - Cecil & Dudley able to “work together most of time with a common purpose”

Guy - “keynote of the Elizabethan system was homogeneity”

Guy - Elizabeth's Privy Council was capable of 'cohesive decision making'

Adams - Privy Council not very important as an institution, more important to examine individuals who were relied upon separately for advice

Guy - Cecil had to make himself appear more conservative in order to ensure that he maintained El’s support

Neale - (Treaty of Câteau de Cambrésis 1559) “its conclusion freed El from the necessity of appearing conservative in religion in order to keep Sp alliance and allowed her subsequently to permit a full reformation of the English Church”

Jones - (Treaty of Câteau de Cambrésis 1559) “the signing of the treaty had no influence on the making of her religious settlement”

Pollitt - Slave trade & John Hawkins had Elizabeth’s “direct support” (1562)

Adams - regarding marriage & succession crisis 1562 - El had an “emotional dependency” on Dudley

Haigh - regarding El’s choice not to marry - Probably always her intention

Doran - regarding El’s choice not to marry - No evidence for it always being her intention & furthermore El was conscious of the pressure to provide an heir

Doran - 39 Articles were 'something of a hybrid' (1563)

Guy - Mary immediately and “unfairly” suspected of being part of Darnley’s murder (1566)

Wilson - harassed Sp ships “Elizabeth’s actions as risky and an act of piracy” (Nov 1568)

Haigh - The Northern Rebellion was “botched”

Wernham - regarding El’s foreign policy until 1571 - “Elizabeth followed a consistent and ultimately successful policy towards the Netherlands”

Wilson - regarding El’s foreign policy until 1571 - “Elizabeth’s policy was inconsistent and largely unsuccessful

MacCaffery - regarding El’s foreign policy until 1571 - “Elizabeth was both more successful than Wilson claimed but less successful & consistent than Wernham argued”

Doran - regarding El’s foreign policy until 1571 - “Elizabeth’s policy was in dissarray”

Bossy - the Throckmorton Plot was 'a fairly near thing' (1583)

Haigh - regarding Bond of Association after Throckmorton Plot - “a panic response to an exaggerated threat” (1584)

Guy - regarding Babington Plot - Mary’s complicity was “undeniable” (1586)

Guy - mid 1590’s witnessed ‘turmoil created by rising prices, bad harvests & outbreaks of plague & influenza”

Slack - Suggested national death rate over 2 harvest years (1596-1598) in region of 6%

Guy - the 1601 Parliament was the 'most fractious' of Elizabeth's reign

Adams - war broke out between England and Spain 'because Elizabeth and Philip both lost their nerve'

Palliser - England was 'relatively backward' with regards to trade
Hi does anyone have any past essays or any exemplars on how to essay these 45 markers because im having real trouble trying to explain it without waffling or going into a narrative form.
Anybody got Any good revision sources?
Hey guys,

My teacher has predicted what the questions might be on, he's usually quite accurate, he got 2 out of 3 predictions right for the Russia exam this year! Obviously they might not be right but here's what he thinks.

2015 Predictions: Tudor Exam
Government (wide)

1547 to 1588

(To what extent was there effective government in England between 1547 and 1588?)

Parliament

1547 to 1588

Council

1547 to 1588

Religion (mid)

1559 to 1588 (Settlement)

(To what extent was Elizabeth’s religious settlement seriously challenged between 1559 and 1588?)

Catholic

1559 to 1588

(To what extent did Catholics seriously challenge Elizabeth and her religious settlement 1559 - 1588?)

Protestant

1559 to 1588

(To what extent was there a strong Protestant challenge to Elizabeth’s religious settlement 1559-1588?)

Foreign Policy (narrow)

1588 to 1603

(To what extent was Elizabeth’s foreign policy between 1588 and 1603 an “expensive failure”?)

Could anyne tell me who the Four Doyens were?
My teacher mentioned that it was a nice phrase to use for a number of Elizabeth's advisors, but I can't find it anywhere in the AQA book... Can anyone shed light on this, or has she just made it up?
Reply 536
Original post by gwrolls
Could anyne tell me who the Four Doyens were?
My teacher mentioned that it was a nice phrase to use for a number of Elizabeth's advisors, but I can't find it anywhere in the AQA book... Can anyone shed light on this, or has she just made it up?

Just did a quick google. According to John Guy the Four Doyens refers to the deaths of Elizabeth's first generation councillors ie Leicester in 1588, Mildmay in 1589, Warwick in 1590 and Walsingham also in 1590.

I've given up on the AQA book tbh. Just so poorly structured and I've found a considerable amount to be left out. Just as a side note, if you've got a chance before next week I recommend you get your hands on the Access to History book or Lotherington's 'The Tudor Years', both of which are much stronger in terms of using the debates, contextual affairs etc.
Original post by wjc
Just did a quick google. According to John Guy the Four Doyens refers to the deaths of Elizabeth's first generation councillors ie Leicester in 1588, Mildmay in 1589, Warwick in 1590 and Walsingham also in 1590.

I've given up on the AQA book tbh. Just so poorly structured and I've found a considerable amount to be left out. Just as a side note, if you've got a chance before next week I recommend you get your hands on the Access to History book or Lotherington's 'The Tudor Years', both of which are much stronger in terms of using the debates, contextual affairs etc.

Thank you, I tried Google, but I didn't seem to be as lucky as you in finding the names. Yeah, I see where you're coming from regarding the AQA book
Reply 538

What mark out of 90 ( there is 2 45 makers) would you need approximately to score an A, based on past exams? Thanks

Reply 539
Original post by Damonii

What mark out of 90 ( there is 2 45 makers) would you need approximately to score an A, based on past exams? Thanks

Obviously your overall grade is affected by what you get in coursework, but last year an A was 68/90 for the paper itself and afaik that's pretty consistent year on year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending