The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by historynut
hey was wondering if anyone knew what structurally was necessary to get an A* -or near full marks- in this exam (as really need it to pull up my AS :colondollar:) is there a sort of set way to do a 'level 5' conclusion?
thanks guys!

Not so sure about the conclusion but for an A* paragraph the structure I've been taught is:

Topic sentence and link to previous paragraph
Explanation
Synoptic link
Evidence
Historian's interpretation
(Evaluation + evidence for the other side if this paragraph is arguing against your view)
Link back to question
Reply 61
What do mean by synoptic link?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Just wondering if you people would mind suggesting improvements for my essay-If you can read my writing lol

"The rebellions in the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I were mainly religious in origin" assess the validity of this view

How could I improve do you think?

The grade my teacher gave:

Spoiler

Do you think this is accurate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, my teacher would grade that a C. 24/45 or perhaps 27/45. I'm not sure, i may ask her. But she definitely would not give that even close to an A, no offense. My teacher might be too harsh of a marker though. I struggle to get over 30 with my teacher and my essays are usually more well written.
Reply 63
Original post by iheartdjokovic
Not so sure about the conclusion but for an A* paragraph the structure I've been taught is:

Topic sentence and link to previous paragraph
Explanation
Synoptic link
Evidence
Historian's interpretation
(Evaluation + evidence for the other side if this paragraph is arguing against your view)
Link back to question

How would we make a synoptic link? Do you mean just linking a new paragraph to the previous paragraph?
Original post by farah_1
What do mean by synoptic link?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Adamk_14
How would we make a synoptic link? Do you mean just linking a new paragraph to the previous paragraph?

By synoptic link I mean linking the point you're making in that paragraph to a time period outside the immediate demands of the question e.g. in an essay about Elizabeth, if you were discussing her religious reforms you could make a comparison to Edward's or Mary's (e.g. how Elizabeth's 39 Articles were based on Edward's 42 Articles)
Original post by Adamk_14
No, my teacher would grade that a C. 24/45 or perhaps 27/45. I'm not sure, i may ask her. But she definitely would not give that even close to an A, no offense. My teacher might be too harsh of a marker though. I struggle to get over 30 with my teacher and my essays are usually more well written.

How would u improve it lol
Original post by iheartdjokovic
By synoptic link I mean linking the point you're making in that paragraph to a time period outside the immediate demands of the question e.g. in an essay about Elizabeth, if you were discussing her religious reforms you could make a comparison to Edward's or Mary's (e.g. how Elizabeth's 39 Articles were based on Edward's 42 Articles)

Hmm.

i thought that that would just be conceptual knowledge

i thought that synoptic it's meant making links between different areas. If you were talking about the parliaments in the final years for example, you would bring up the war with Spain (link to foreign policy) and how parliament were pissed at E using monopolies which E needed to pay for the war against Spain

i must be wrong
Hmm.

i thought that that would just be conceptual knowledge

i thought that synoptic it's meant making links between different areas. If you were talking about the parliaments in the final years for example, you would bring up the war with Spain (link to foreign policy) and how parliament were pissed at E using monopolies which E needed to pay for the war against Spain

i must be wrong

I don't know, that's just what my teacher always called it! Doesn't matter what it's called though as long as you do it :smile:
Reply 68
Thanks for clearing that up (I guess). I never really understood it before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone have an example essay that is marked an A? Thank you.
Reply 70
My teacher seems to thing foreign policy in relation to France is a strong contender, as it's never come up and there's so much to talk about.
She also said religion is a possibility, more spefically MQS - which would be ideal as this allows you to talk about internal problems, foreign policy with France and Scotland and MQS herself. Really hoping government doesn't come up, it's so dull compared to everything else.
Also, I trust her judgement as she successfully predicted both my AS exams for Russia :smile:
Reply 71
Stress for this exam has really hit me now :frown:
How many pages do you end up writing on average?
Reply 73
I write about 3 and a half. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My ideal questions would be anything on the mid-tudor period, anything to do with rebellions, and the 1590s :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by csmith95
My teacher seems to thing foreign policy in relation to France is a strong contender, as it's never come up and there's so much to talk about.
She also said religion is a possibility, more spefically MQS - which would be ideal as this allows you to talk about internal problems, foreign policy with France and Scotland and MQS herself. Really hoping government doesn't come up, it's so dull compared to everything else.
Also, I trust her judgement as she successfully predicted both my AS exams for Russia :smile:

A question on France would be amazing. :smile:)

I have a strong feeling that there going to do a question which involves Edward, Mary and Elizabeth and if that's the cause then hopefully it on how we'll they dealt with threats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farah_1
I write about 3 and a half. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Around 4 or 5 pages. Not sure if that is too much though
I am gonna not do well in this.

I posted an essay earlier and I would be really grateful for constructive criticism

If you would like to offer some help but don't want to have to deal with my hand writing, I could write the essay up onto TSR if you thought that would make it easier-let me know if you want this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Are people using any other resources aside from the AQA textbook? I'm finding it really hard to remember all of the historical opinion. I can't believe it's less than two weeks until the exam lol fml

My teacher said a question relating to France is quite likely to come up which would be great..
Reply 79
I am gonna not do well in this.

I posted an essay earlier and I would be really grateful for constructive criticism

If you would like to offer some help but don't want to have to deal with my hand writing, I could write the essay up onto TSR if you thought that would make it easier-let me know if you want this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Typing it up would make it a lot easier for us to read

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending