The Student Room Group

What is a decent salary?

I know the word "decent" can be subjective. But for a single ADULT male to live comfortably, this means, tv, internet computer, mobile, decent housing, a small car, a night out once in a while, etc.. What would be a decent salary.
I am guessing 21k a year?

Scroll to see replies

UK: 21K
London: 40K
30,000 is what I'd call decent.
Over 40,000 is fantastic!!!

~Ashley~
Reply 3
Original post by johnsamuels
I know the word "decent" can be subjective. But for a single ADULT male to live comfortably, this means, tv, internet computer, mobile, decent housing, a small car, a night out once in a while, etc.. What would be a decent salary.
I am guessing 21k a year?

Not a chance at 21k. If you are living on your own, or even shared, 21k will not get you a car. You are looking at around the 28k mark for the UK, but for London, around 34k and that'll be okay living. If you want to be able to put money into savings for things like a mortgage, you will either have to be living with a partner on an equal salary, or earning in excess of 36k.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
One that can comfortable pay for necessities and have some left over for luxuries. It really depends on part of the country, your family commitments - larger families obviously more expensive, whether you can claim back expenses, debts, tax, and so on.

I'd say £80k + is decent and more impressive
Reply 5
Original post by geoking
Not a chance at 21k. If you are living on your own, or even shared, 21k will not get you a car. You are looking at around the 28k mark for the UK, but for London, around 34k and that'll be okay living. If you want to be able to put money into savings for things like a mortgage, you will either have to be living with a partner on an equal salary, or earning in excess of 36k.

are you sure? with 21k, after tax, thats 17k a year. that equates to over £1400 a months to live on after tax. if you try, you can get appartments to live in for less than £400 a month £200 on gas. water, electricity, £100 a week on food. theres till £400 left a month. About getting a car, you can gets cars for pretty cheap value, but its the insurance thats costly, but dont think of it from a students point of view, think of it from a mature adult's point of view, the insurance is going to be less than £700 a year if you use car for only commuting uses.
Reply 6
are you sure? with 21k, after tax, thats 17k a year. that equates to over £1400 a months to live on after tax. if you try, you can get appartments to live in for less than £400 a month £200 on gas. water, electricity, £100 a week on food. theres till £400 left a month. About getting a car, you can gets cars for pretty cheap value, but its the insurance thats costly, but dont think of it from a students point of view, think of it from a mature adult's point of view, the insurance is going to be less than £700 a year if you use car for only commuting uses.

Your math is off. Don't forget PAYE, pension, student loans etc. Basically, remove a third of your income for after-tax income. Then remove £450 - 550 for rent, 100 for council tax, 30 for your phone, 10 - 35 for internet/cable, 40 for gas and elec, 25 for water and 180 - 220 for food. Then start adding insurance for home and car, petrol, the car itself...
Reply 7
30k is decent imo.
Reply 8
Original post by geoking
Your math is off. Don't forget PAYE, pension, student loans etc. Basically, remove a third of your income for after-tax income. Then remove £450 - 550 for rent, 100 for council tax, 30 for your phone, 10 - 35 for internet/cable, 40 for gas and elec, 25 for water and 180 - 220 for food. Then start adding insurance for home and car, petrol, the car itself...

How do people on minimum wage live? they earn £12300 a year, after tax thats £11200, thats just over £930 a month.
40k-45k imo
Reply 10
How do people on minimum wage live? they earn £12300 a year, after tax thats £11200, thats just over £930 a month.

Hence why rent is such a problem in London and needs to be controlled.
Reply 11
I'd say decent is about £25k+

Thats enough to easily live off and be able to save.
Reply 12
30k is decent if you want a nice phone. Also money needed for petrol so if you commute a lot then that's gonna cost a bomb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
It depends really.. As soon as I graduate I'd be happy with around 27-30K. A few years down the line I'd expect better pay!
Reply 14
Original post by Jooooshy
It depends really.. As soon as I graduate I'd be happy with around 27-30K.

You may end up disappointed then if recent graduate salaries are anything to go by.
Reply 15
Original post by Reue
You may end up disappointed then if recent graduate salaries are anything to go by.

Unless they're a dentist who's starting salary is 29/30k xd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
0.01 :P
Reply 17
Original post by Casprules
Unless they're a dentist who's starting salary is 29/30k xd

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except thats not a 'standard' graduate as it requires more than 3 years higher education/training.

IIRC it takes 5 years, plus 2 years supervised. Therefore youd be comparing a graduate who has been working for 2-4 years.
Reply 18
Original post by Reue
Except thats not a 'standard' graduate as it requires more than 3 years higher education/training.

IIRC it takes 5 years, plus 2 years supervised. Therefore youd be comparing a graduate who has been working for 2-4 years.

I only know this cos I wanna be a dentist :tongue: as far as I'm aware it's only 1 year foundation training btw :wink: but I see your point and yes the average would be lower! On the plus side if your below 21k after graduating you don't need to pay back your student loan :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Reue

30.2K average

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending