The Student Room Group

Anyone get into some of the top universities with average gcses?

I am currently in my first year at sixth form and studying biology, chemistry, physics and maths; I am confident that I will achieve 4 A's by this year, however what really worries me is that my gcses are not good enough to get into medicine especially when compared to others applying. I achieved 1 A* in languages 7 A's in maths, biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, geography and history and 2 B's in English language and literature. I totally regret my gcses, I did not take them as seriously enough as I ought to have. I did very little revision (maybe just a flick through the revision guide the hour before the exam) and for some subjects like English Lang and lit I was too lazy to even hand in coursework (infact I finished all three of my science courseworks the day before the deadline); I know that because of my gcse results now, my options into which unis I apply to are limited e.g oxbridge. However what I really want to know is whether I still have a realistic chance in getting into medicine.
Anyone had a similar experience but still made in into one of the top uk universities like oxbridge, imperial etc
(edited 10 years ago)
I would stay clear of Oxford because they place a lot of emphasis on GCSE A* percentage. Imperial is also very competitive and unless you have very high UMS for Medicine, Cambridge would probably be unlikely...
To be honest, going to X university doesn't matter at all if you want to be a doctor.
Agreed with the above if you get on to a doctors degree program at any uni that does it you'll be fine! Top uni's do medicine! St George's'll let you in with those grades! Providing your interview is gd.

I got into a top uni once... It was an open day 😓.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
just pay to resit your gcse's
Reply 4
Doctors are always employed, so it doesn't matter which uni you attend. Its not like Law where you're far more likely to get employed/earn more if you're an Oxbridge grad.

Dont retake your GCSE's, just nail your A levels and do Medicine at any Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending