The Student Room Group

Really need help with AS level English Literature.

Okay so I am doing AS level English Literature. I really am lost and I have no idea what to do. The highest I have gotten for all my essay's at this point is a D and I really don't know where I am going wrong. My teachers aren't helping with providing feedback. What I seem to struggle with the most is structuring the essay itself. I really have no idea how to structure an essay and our teachers don't really focus on how to compose an essay for the subjects. I don't know what a good essay is meant to look like. Can anyone provide any help? I don't want to have to retake English literature. Can you recommend any tips or study guides? Thank you for reading.
For a start could you tell us which board you are with because depending on which one it is I may be able to offer more help. Secondly its all about the past papers with English, just do hundreds of them and get a teacher to make them as practice makes perfect! Thirdly this brings us to what an issue of yours possibly is - you haven't found a good technique to use every time. Most English exams have the same style questions again and again, so try and find example essays on the internet or ask your teacher. Fourthly and finally sometimes the questions are so similar - eg. you always get a question that starts with 'How is the story told in ________ [insert text studied here]' and so you can almost write a perfect one down and learn it - or even a slightly more generic essay / introduction that you can then manipulate in the exam to fit the question - good luck and do let me know what exam board you're with!
Reply 2
u must have a bad teacher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending