The Student Room Group

How much does AS/A2 chemistry contribute to degree level Geography?

Hello! I'm applying to read Geography in 2007. I'm more of a Physical Geographer and I have read from many sources, such as the Cambridge Uiversity prospectus and website for example, that Chemistry would be a good complementary subject. I haven't done an AS in Chemistry but next year is my A2's so I might have the opportunity to take it up if the option boxes don't clash. I loved Chemistry at GCSE and got a high grade in it- it's also important to mention that I did the Triple Award Single Sciences. Will this be enough to help me out with Geography at degree level? Because I don't want to do it at AS or A-level because I struggled with moles, titrations, volumetric calculations, molecular and empirical formulae etc in the Chemistry extension module of GCSE and I know that Chemistry involves alot of that. I am doing Biolgy AS and A2 to support geography at degree level though. But how valuable would Chemistry be and what aspects/topics in Geography or earth Sciences does it feature in/would more knowledge be of use in?
Elements
Hello! I'm applying to read Geography in 2007. I'm more of a Physical Geographer and I have read from many sources, such as the Cambridge Uiversity prospectus and website for example, that Chemistry would be a good complementary subject. I haven't done an AS in Chemistry but next year is my A2's so I might have the opportunity to take it up if the option boxes don't clash. I loved Chemistry at GCSE and got a high grade in it- it's also important to mention that I did the Triple Award Single Sciences. Will this be enough to help me out with Geography at degree level? Because I don't want to do it at AS or A-level because I struggled with moles, titrations, volumetric calculations, molecular and empirical formulae etc in the Chemistry extension module of GCSE and I know that Chemistry involves alot of that. I am doing Biolgy AS and A2 to support geography at degree level though. But how valuable would Chemistry be and what aspects/topics in Geography or earth Sciences does it feature in/would more knowledge be of use in?

Hey there,

I really wouldn't worry about taking Chemistry at AS/A2 Level if you don't want to (and it sounds like you don't). I didn't take it beyond GCSE Double Award Science, and I've coped just fine so far (I'm at Cambridge btw). Out of all the physical geography material we covered this year, I'd say Chemistry featured most in the atmospheric processes part of the Environmental Processes paper, but only at a rudimentary (GCSE) level.

In fact, I wouldn't say there were any A Levels that would give you a significant advantage on the Cambridge Geography course (apart from Geography! :wink:). For many lectures, no prior knowledge is assumed - and if it is then it's only GCSE/general knowledge. I took Biology and Economics at A Level and I guess they helped me slightly, but to be honest the course moves so quickly beyond things studied at GCSE/A Level that any advantage I might have had quickly diminished (if that makes sense). Besides, I'd say the skills I learnt at A Level - the ability to write an essay in particular - have been far more advantageous to me than the actual content of the courses themselves.

What I'm trying to say in a rather long-winded fashion is - in my opinion, you're unlikely to be at a disadvantage if you don't take Chemistry at AS/A Level, so don't feel you have to. As I said, I've found the skills I learnt at A Level more useful than the knowledge gained from them. But all of this is, of course, just my two-penneth - others may disagree.
Reply 2
It also comes in handy in some hydrology stuff, but apart from that probably not.
Reply 3
Chem would be usefull but then again so would just about every subject that you can imagine when your taking geography. You will probably find that people having done chem will find things such as atmosphere and soils. But all the basics will be covered in lectures as i never did any chem. but got on fine with the modules
Reply 4
Eternal Fantasy
Hey there,

I really wouldn't worry about taking Chemistry at AS/A2 Level if you don't want to (and it sounds like you don't). I didn't take it beyond GCSE Double Award Science, and I've coped just fine so far (I'm at Cambridge btw). Out of all the physical geography material we covered this year, I'd say Chemistry featured most in the atmospheric processes part of the Environmental Processes paper, but only at a rudimentary (GCSE) level.

In fact, I wouldn't say there were any A Levels that would give you a significant advantage on the Cambridge Geography course (apart from Geography! :wink:). For many lectures, no prior knowledge is assumed - and if it is then it's only GCSE/general knowledge. I took Biology and Economics at A Level and I guess they helped me slightly, but to be honest the course moves so quickly beyond things studied at GCSE/A Level that any advantage I might have had quickly diminished (if that makes sense). Besides, I'd say the skills I learnt at A Level - the ability to write an essay in particular - have been far more advantageous to me than the actual content of the courses themselves.

What I'm trying to say in a rather long-winded fashion is - in my opinion, you're unlikely to be at a disadvantage if you don't take Chemistry at AS/A Level, so don't feel you have to. As I said, I've found the skills I learnt at A Level more useful than the knowledge gained from them. But all of this is, of course, just my two-penneth - others may disagree.

Thank-you that was very helpful and reassuring! It's also so snazzy that you are doing the course at the Uni that I want to do. Do you mind if I ask you some questions from time to time? And don't worry about having a long answer- my post was just as long and writing alot is my trademark.:biggrin: :p:
Reply 5
To arkbar and ali567149: Thank-you for replying too. You were also helpful and reassuring. ;grouphugs; to all whom have replied so far.

Latest

Trending

Trending