The Student Room Group

Is 16hrs too much ?

Whilst studying a levels? It's over 3 days x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It may not seem that bad when you are just at college like normal, but see when you start studying it will be rough :tongue:
16 hours over 3 days thats nowt.
Reply 3
Original post by CSM1996
It may not seem that bad when you are just at college like normal, but see when you start studying it will be rough :tongue:

I have 2 jan exams and already find it tough I want to get good grades come June I'm thinking of cutting down to 12 over 2 days :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by tink15
I have 2 jan exams and already find it tough I want to get good grades come June I'm thinking of cutting down to 12 over 2 days :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

12 should be manageable! I'm contracted to 7.5 but I usually work 2 extra days so I end up working like 13 hours a week and i'm coping (I think :lol:)
I used to do 16 hours a week over my A levels and it was a little tiring, wasn't too bad though and I coped okay :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CSM1996
12 should be manageable! I'm contracted to 7.5 but I usually work 2 extra days so I end up working like 13 hours a week and i'm coping (I think :lol:)

What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
I used to do 16 hours a week over my A levels and it was a little tiring, wasn't too bad though and I coped okay :smile:

Was it 3 days? Where did u work and what a levels did u do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tink15
Was it 3 days? Where did u work and what a levels did u do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was over 4 days. I worked at Waitrose and did English, History, Drama and Film which I dropped after AS.
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
It was over 4 days. I worked at Waitrose and did English, History, Drama and Film which I dropped after AS.

Well hello there :wink::eek::cool:
Original post by Rainbow Student
Over 5 hours a day is too much? :eek: :confused: I take it you have no spare time in your life right now. I only have about 4 hours spare a day, including eating and showering. We were told to do 4 hours of work a week. 4 times as much work in half the amount of time is ridiculous! :mad:

Just get better at managing your time. I work with loads of polish staff still at uni. They all do a bare minimum of 16 hours and have a social life.
Original post by chelseafan
Well hello there :wink::eek::cool:

Haha hey!
Reply 12
Original post by Rainbow Student
16 hours in 3 days is ridiculous! :eek: If it's spread out evenly, that makes the minimum amount of time in a day 5 hours 20 minutes. If this is outside of the college day then there's something wrong, seeing as you have to eat and sleep and stuff. My A level tutors said to do at least 4 hours a week per subject. As I do 5 (technically 6) A levels, that is at least 24 hours a week, and I cannot do that much! :frown: And you've managed to do 16 hours in 3 days! What do colleges think that we're capable of? :mad: I love how everyone can cope with 16 hours in a few days and I have to do over a day's worth in a week, and as I need extra time and commitment to homework and coursework, I normally require twice as much. So if we count the hours of college that I do and the amount of time at home that I'm supposed to do, then we get 78 hours 30 minutes of overall college work a week. (I don't have full college days but this is still ridiculous if I want to volunteer, care for my wellbeing AND have freetime too). I'm also recently volunteering, as you've figured. Try figure my life out right now. Sorry, rant over. :tongue:

Personally, yes, I think 16 hours is a bit too much. Depending on if you're doing AS or A2 and also how many courses you do. :smile:

I can't work out whether you've understood what this thread is about or not. The OP is talking about having a part-time job while doing A-levels, where they work 16 hours in total spread out over three days. They haven't mentioned time they spend on studies at all.
Reply 13
I do 4-8 per week, always on a weekend and still find myself not having enough time for everything...
Reply 14
Original post by tink15
What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do Biology, Maths and Physics. I'm Scottish though so slightly different qualifications :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Ronove
I can't work out whether you've understood what this thread is about or not. The OP is talking about having a part-time job while doing A-levels, where they work 16 hours in total spread out over three days. They haven't mentioned time they spend on studies at all.

Yes I mean my part time job... My job is kinda demanding (as much as a retail job could be lol) I think I'm Gona ask can I do 12 hours instead over 2 days :/. So tired from tryna keep on top of everything. I also Crystallise converse on the side and have trouble fitting All in. I do Spanish , re , sociology and media x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Unless you need the money to support yourself (ie not just spending it on gadgets and booze, etc, because you can cut back on these if you must) then you're best to focus on your studies first and hit better grades. It's very much true, what everyone will tell you, that your A levels are with you for life.

Even when you go through uni, employers still look at your A levels with scrutiny. I had to explain how I didn't used to be very motivated and how I've pushed myself since leaving sixth form, and I had relatively good A level results (A*AAc) !

TLDR; the pay-off you'll receive from getting 1-2 grades higher is far outweighing your earnings from a near-minimum wage job during school.
Reply 17
Original post by consumed by stuff
16 hours over 3 days thats nowt.

I mean a job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by nPuppy
Unless you need the money to support yourself (ie not just spending it on gadgets and booze, etc, because you can cut back on these if you must) then you're best to focus on your studies first and hit better grades. It's very much true, what everyone will tell you, that your A levels are with you for life.

Even when you go through uni, employers still look at your A levels with scrutiny. I had to explain how I didn't used to be very motivated and how I've pushed myself since leaving sixth form, and I had relatively good A level results (A*AAc) !

TLDR; the pay-off you'll receive from getting 1-2 grades higher is far outweighing your earnings from a near-minimum wage job during school.

I'm thinking this ! Hopefully they aren't arsey about cutting my hours :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by tink15
I'm thinking this ! Hopefully they aren't arsey about cutting my hours :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do your parents still provide you with essentials? What the other poster said is true - you will do better to get better grades. Unless you actually need a job, you should consider quitting rather than stretching yourself too thin (ie if they refuse to cut your hours to something you're comfortable with).

However if you think that this job will be open to you over the summers when you're not at uni, and/or you can get a transfer to a local store (if it's a chain) while at uni if you stick it out now, I would try to hold onto the job. You may need extra cash more while at university and if you have only got a very limited work history, you don't want to necessarily entirely give up on something that will make you more employable if you need to find new jobs in the summer and/or at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending