The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Studying in London?

Hey, well .. I got an offer for King´s College and I´m so happy, but I keep thinking bout the costs of living there. Like, with paying for rent and food, idk if I´ll be able to buy anything else or even go out. Could someone share their experience with me please? :smile: .
Moved to the King's College section :smile:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Haven't really posted much since I graduated, but thought I may as well help you answer your questions as I stumbled across this.

I was in a similar position 5 years ago. Choice between 2 Universities in the North West or 2 in London. I decided to go for the 2 in London.

The reason was simple. London has so much to offer for a student. But you are right. It costs a shed load in terms of living costs. However, it depends on your situation to be honest. Are you able to get a maintenance grant/loan? Have you got much money at the moment? Are your family able to support your costs?

I had worked part-time the year before going to Uni and definitely needed the maintenance loan, as well as some help from my dad, in order to keep going. I'd strongly advise that you get a job whilst at Uni if you can.

But a lot depends on your personal situation. If you want more advice then feel free to PM me with a bit more detail so I can be more specific. I've been through it all :smile:
Hello!

I get a student loan including extra as I was means-assessed and I whilst I haven't been loaded, i have had enough to live on as well as go out for meals and to clubs/pubs sometimes. I don't go out every weekend but at the end of the year I do usually have money left over (important for paying a deposit on a house for next year etc). I also work occasionally doing temp jobs which helps if I want a bit of extra money for going out, christmas etc. If you want to go to London, I wouldn't worry too much about money.
Original post by Qaz25
Haven't really posted much since I graduated, but thought I may as well help you answer your questions as I stumbled across this.

I was in a similar position 5 years ago. Choice between 2 Universities in the North West or 2 in London. I decided to go for the 2 in London.

The reason was simple. London has so much to offer for a student. But you are right. It costs a shed load in terms of living costs. However, it depends on your situation to be honest. Are you able to get a maintenance grant/loan? Have you got much money at the moment? Are your family able to support your costs?

I had worked part-time the year before going to Uni and definitely needed the maintenance loan, as well as some help from my dad, in order to keep going. I'd strongly advise that you get a job whilst at Uni if you can.

But a lot depends on your personal situation. If you want more advice then feel free to PM me with a bit more detail so I can be more specific. I've been through it all :smile:

In terms of living costs, which bits were the most expensive? Like would you say your food shop cost more with you being in London? The thing I'm most worried about is transport, would you say you shelled out a lot on that? How was living in private accommodation?

Sorry for interrogating you, I'm really close to accepting King's as my firm but money is a big worry for me as I can't rely on help from home

:smile: :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by aliceruth989
In terms of living costs, which bits were the most expensive? Like would you say your food shop cost more with you being in London? The thing I'm most worried about is transport, would you say you shelled out a lot on that? How was living in private accommodation?

Sorry for interrogating you, I'm really close to accepting King's as my firm but money is a big worry for me as I can't rely on help from home

:smile: :smile:

Well it depends where you come from. Food costs are high generally anyway. Best bet is to shop at places like Aldi. Transport is a tad bit too expensive. But if I had to travel anywhere within 50 minutes walking distance of where I lived then I would always walk. Means getting exercise as well as saving money :biggrin:

Private accommodation will vary a lot depending on the landlord/lady. I was lucky to have a decent enough landlady. But I was paying over £400 a month (including bills) throughout my time in the accommodation for a small single room in a house with 4 random people. If you look hard enough and aren't too fussy then you'll find something reasonable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest