The Student Room Group

Changing course once you are at Oxford?

So I got an offer to study biology at Oxford, the thing is I think I have made a massive mistake and I don't want to do biology any more. How much of a chance is there that I will be able to change to a different course once I get there?
I really want to go to Oxford so I don't want to withdraw my application but if there's no chance I could change subject that might be my only choice...

Has anyone changes course or know of people who have?
Reply 1
They do allow people to change courses but it depends on how similar your current course is to the one you want to change to. For example a philosophy student will have slim chances changing to a medicine course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Its possible, but you will have to prove you have the aptitude for the other subject as you would have if you'd applied for it. This generally involves someone taking sympathy to your cause, organising more interviews for you, maybe putting you through a trial phase... best avoided basically. But possible.

How certain are you of this change of heart? Would it be worth turning up and trying out the first few weeks of biology to see if you like it?

Original post by Xroz
They do allow people to change courses but it depends on how similar your current course is to the one you want to change to. For example a philosophy student will have slim chances changing to a medicine course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Transfers to medicine specifically aren't allowed i believe, but beyond that its more about your suitability than necessarily what you're currently studying. I base this on one example i know of who mid-way through his second year of E&M decided he wanted to transfer to experimental psychology - they were happy to assess him and put him through interviews etc and he was accepted.

The other transfer i know of was PPE to maths. He was made to go through a long provisional period during which he was expected to keep up with work from both degrees but he got through it and did transfer.
Reply 3
I don't really have anything to add to what nexttime has already said, except another anecdote of an unusual change switching from PPE to biochemistry after prelims. This has the added benefit of giving him five years as an undergrad in Oxford, which is rather nice.
I know someone who changed from chemistry to geography early in the year but someone who wanted to switch from history to history and politics wasn't allowed. It is possible but every case is different. If you're certain that you want to change course maybe email your college now to see what they say.
Reply 5
It depends what you want to switch to.. Biochemistry, perhaps. Anything else may spring up some complications..

It's best to email them sooner rather than later :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending