The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accommodation help please

Hello Guys!

I was recently accepted into Nottingham university and I am 100% sure that they will be my firm choice as this is the case I am looking at their accommodation options but I am stuck. I have a car that I will be bringing with me to university so I need to factor this into account. I wanted to know which campus accommodation should I pick, I don't mind being a little far away from where my lectures will be taking place but I want a lively campus area but I can't pick between them and also a campus on where I can park. I am going to be doing computer science which mean I will be at the Jubilee area for my lectures but my understanding is that the university park has more amenities and is larger which means a better social life as there as more things to do. I was wondering if anyone can share their opinion on what campus I should pick. I don't mind self catered or catered as I am not too picky on this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ash1994
Hello Guys!

I was recently accepted into Nottingham university and I am 100% sure that they will be my firm choice as this is the case I am looking at their accommodation options but I am stuck. I have a car that I will be bringing with me to university so I need to factor this into account. I wanted to know which campus accommodation should I pick, I don't mind being a little far away from where my lectures will be taking place but I want a lively campus area but I can't pick between them and also a campus on where I can park. I am going to be doing computer science which mean I will be at the Jubilee area for my lectures but my understanding is that the university park has more amenities and is larger which means a better social life as there as more things to do. I was wondering if anyone can share their opinion on what campus I should pick. I don't mind self catered or catered as I am not too picky on this.

I don't think students living on Jubilee have any less of a social experience than those on University Park. The halls are just as lively, communal eating, their own bar, and the free Hopper Buses currently run until about 11pm to/from UP and take 5-10 mins to get pretty much anywhere on the campus, so not really out of the way. Jubilee itself is also closer to student bars in Lenton and towards town.

UP halls typically have a more classic decor, with Jubilee being more modern. I lived on UP in first year because I couldn't afford en suite, and cycled or caught the Hopper Bus to Jubilee each day which was fine. For me the benefit of catered halls was being able to finish a lecture at 6, quickly grab something to eat, then get things ready for societies in the evening. Others prefer to save a bit of cash and cook for themselves; ver much a personal preference either way.

In terms of having a car, you won't get a parking permit for campus if you're living on or within 15 miles of campus unless you have a particular need e.g. disability, in which case you should get in touch with Security at the details at the bottom of this page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/estates/security/carparking.aspx#PermitApplicationStudents. The reason is simply that UoN is the third largest university in the UK with nearly 34,000 students and there isn't enough room to build thousands of parking spaces on campus.

Off-campus halls do allow parking, but usually charge for a permit - Broadgate Park is £275 per year; Raleigh Park £250 per year; not sure about the others. If you're living in either of these two places or on campus, you're highly unlikely to need a car though. You can walk to anywhere on campus in <15 mins, get the free buses to other campuses regularly, and buses from the student areas including campus to in and around Nottingham are £1 a trip for students. I only know a couple of compsci students who have brought cars and that seems more so that we can car pool when going to hackathons on the weekend :p:

Basically, I reckon you'll enjoy any of the halls; the biggest choice is catered vs non-catered which pretty much dictates on vs off campus, but all have good social experiences, lively atmospheres, a mix of people :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending