The Student Room Group

Things for a 23 year old to do?

My boyfriend is 23 and has been out of uni since june 2013. He's lost contact with his friends from sixth form and most of the guys from his uni- a lot of them still go there and because of his job situation, he can't afford to go down and see them. Inevitably, he's feeling quite lonely and he doesn't have much to do apart from work and see me. Is there anything you could recommend for anyone out of uni to get into? he enjoys sports but again he can't really afford to join lots of clubs. How do you meet new people once you're out of uni? Thanks!
Reply 1
I suppose the main way people make friends is through work once they've left uni. Is there nobody at work he can make an effort with?

I was going to suggest volunteering - if he likes sports, could he volunteer with a sports club or something?

I know some people don't like the idea of meeting people online but it can be a good way to make friends with similar interests, so that might work.
Reply 2
It does not sound like he has much confidence to me.
Reply 3
This sounds like what I will be like when I leave uni. Minus the girlfriend part and probably the job part too.
Reply 4
Original post by lizlaz350
I suppose the main way people make friends is through work once they've left uni. Is there nobody at work he can make an effort with?

I was going to suggest volunteering - if he likes sports, could he volunteer with a sports club or something?

I know some people don't like the idea of meeting people online but it can be a good way to make friends with similar interests, so that might work.

the people he works with are mainly foreign girls and a 17 year old boy so he's not keen there :tongue:

i hadn't thought of volunteering actually, that's a great idea!
Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by StacyJ
It does not sound like he has much confidence to me.

That's true, and makes it much harder for him!
Reply 6
Original post by Francesca16
the people he works with are mainly foreign girls and a 17 year old boy so he's not keen there :tongue:

i hadn't thought of volunteering actually, that's a great idea!
Thanks!

I would definitely recommend volunteering, its a great way to meet people!

Also getting involved in things like local politics, community groups etc.

My friend joined something called city social or something like that which is basically designed for young people to meet each other
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending