The Student Room Group

Jury Duty/Service. HELP!

So today I received a letter in the post and it turns out I've been summoned for Jury duty. The date set for this is the 25th February, however i'm away on holiday then so I'm unable to attend.

Now this is where it gets complicated.

I'm 19 years old and still in full time education at my local college, the law for students in higher education is that they can only defer their duty if they have exams/revision. They cannot exempt themselves so where does the law stand with college students?

I can't afford to defer my duty until after my holiday as I'll have a full college timetable and A-Levels to revise for and sit. I also hold offers to go to uni in September in places far away from where I currently live.

So if I am legally obliged to defer my duty until a point where I am available within the next 12 months, then it will only be in July or August 2014 when this will be possible. Which by good fortune is when me and my friends are planning on visiting Europe for a week or so! :s-smilie:

If there are any people who are still reading at this point (thank you!) or anybody who has faced this problem before who could offer me some advice, that would be really helpful! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Angoose
So today I received a letter in the post and it turns out I've been summoned for Jury duty. The date set for this is the 25th February, however i'm away on holiday then so I'm unable to attend.

I'm 19 years old and still in full time education at my local college, the law for students in higher education is that they can only defer their duty if they have exams/revision. They cannot exempt themselves so where does the law stand with college students?

I can't afford to defer my duty until after my holiday as I'll have a full college timetable and A-Levels to revise for and sit. I also hold offers to go to uni in September in places far away from where I currently live.

So if I am legally obliged to defer my duty until a point where I am available within the next 12 months, then it will only be in July or August 2014 when this will be possible. Which by good fortune is when me and my friends are planning on visiting Europe for a week or so! :s-smilie:

If there are any people who are still reading at this point (thank you!) or anybody who has faced this problem before who could offer me some advice, that would be really helpful! Thanks :smile:

I was not even aware that they allowed you to defer for holidays? But maybe that's just me. Either way they SHOULD not make you do Jury Duty during your exam/revision period and so I'm pretty confident that you should be able to defer it past that if you're allowed to for the holiday. But I really don't know enough to be honest.
Reply 2
You had your holidays booked already, you can definitely defer from jury service provided that you'll give a later date within 12 months on when you're available for Jury service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Angoose

Haven't faced this before but sounds like you'll have to say you're free in July & August and plan your holiday around it. Remember most universities don't start until the end of September so you could book your Europe trip for September, it would be cheaper then too.

Latest

Trending

Trending