The Student Room Group

Circular motion

It's one of those days. Any help appreciated

The wheel of the London Eye had a diameter of 130m and takes 30 minutes to complete 1 revolution. Calculate the change due to the rotation of the wheel of the support force on a person of weight 500N in a capsule at the top of the wheel.

So I understand that the centripetal force is the difference of the weight and the support force
F=mg-S
S=mg-F
I can calculate F from mv^2/r
How do I calculate the change from what reference points?
Answer is -0.04N

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tmorrall
It's one of those days. Any help appreciated

The wheel of the London Eye had a diameter of 130m and takes 30 minutes to complete 1 revolution. Calculate the change due to the rotation of the wheel of the support force on a person of weight 500N in a capsule at the top of the wheel.

So I understand that the centripetal force is the difference of the weight and the support force
F=mg-S
S=mg-F
I can calculate F from mv^2/r
How do I calculate the change from what reference points?
Answer is -0.04N

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the top the centripetal force is the difference between the weight (down) and the support (up)
C = W - S
At the bottom the centripetal force is the difference between the support (up) and the weight (down)
C = S - W
It's the difference in the support (rearrange the equation for this) at the top and the support at the bottom that you want.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
So I am not going crazy! Right I cant get the answer the text book has stated but the method is sound I am going get some people to try it out see what they get and compare. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest