The Student Room Group

Raf Logistics Officer

Hi, I've got my interview soon for the Raf logistics Officer role, anyone got any tips for me, would be hugely appreciated!
I'm unsure what the whole process will involved? It's different from the e.g. Pilot application for officer... I've been told it's interview then fitness test then I'm unsure what next? Is it a few days in cranwell or?
Also if anyone knows this years intake numbers that would be useful!
My background is: degree in business studies, just returned from travelling Europe, Australia and Asia for 18 months... Tried a few jobs since I've been back but just can't settle into a job in four walls with limited opportunities to travel...
Any advice on this process, interview tips and prospects of a career as a logistics officer in the RAF would be much appreciated
Cheers
Moved to the Armed Forces section :smile:
Reply 2
Hi,

Most of the information you're looking for can be found here. After the filter interview comes the medical (I am at this stage). You might want to check with your AFCO whether you'll need to obtain police certificates for the countries you visited on your time abroad- if you spent more than 6 months in any one country then you'll probably have to (I did). This can be a lengthy and/or expensive process. If you do require certificates or a residency waiver then this will be dealt with between the interview and medical and your application will not progress until that has been done (at least, in my case that is what happened).

The filter interview wasn't too daunting, just take care with your appearance, have a good grounding on the basics of the RAF (know some stations and what function they serve, know what aircraft are flown, what current operations are, what NATO is, why NATO is important, why the UK is in Afghanistan etc.) as well as a good overview of the training you'd go through if selected and what leadership/teamwork/academic/sporting/charitable skills/events you have shown over the past few years. Also be prepared to explain why you want to join the RAF and what your feelings are about potentially having to fight. I found the interview surprisingly relaxed and easier than expected- there were no trick questions and it wasn't the gruelling experience I'd feared.
Original post by Jonpearson1
Hi, I've got my interview soon for the Raf logistics Officer role, anyone got any tips for me, would be hugely appreciated!
I'm unsure what the whole process will involved? It's different from the e.g. Pilot application for officer... I've been told it's interview then fitness test then I'm unsure what next? Is it a few days in cranwell or?
Also if anyone knows this years intake numbers that would be useful!
My background is: degree in business studies, just returned from travelling Europe, Australia and Asia for 18 months... Tried a few jobs since I've been back but just can't settle into a job in four walls with limited opportunities to travel...
Any advice on this process, interview tips and prospects of a career as a logistics officer in the RAF would be much appreciated
Cheers

Hi Jon,

I'm in the early stages for my third application for logistics officer, stumbled on my press ups last time and could brush up on a few things to improve for next time.

You do the same as most non-aptitude officer branches, filter interview then off to Cranwell for selection.

Any specific questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Cheers guys,
i have a issue in that I currently have a full time job, I'm considering quitting it to fully focus on my application and fitness for the raf however I'm unsure just how long this process could take, I can handle being jobless for maybe 2 months but anything over that I would struggle... Between interveiw and initial officer training what's the potential time frame involved?
Also I was told I will need to know some current affairs questions... Will I be choosing which questions to debate or will they set the questions on current affairs?
Also do you guys have any indication for the amount of position open at the moment?
Reply 5
Cheers guys,
i have a issue in that I currently have a full time job, I'm considering quitting it to fully focus on my application and fitness for the raf however I'm unsure just how long this process could take, I can handle being jobless for maybe 2 months but anything over that I would struggle... Between interveiw and initial officer training what's the potential time frame involved?
Also I was told I will need to know some current affairs questions... Will I be choosing which questions to debate or will they set the questions on current affairs?
Also do you guys have any indication for the amount of position open at the moment?

All the information you may or may not want or need for your application is already present in this section of the forum, all you need to do now is research.

I would not recommend you quitting your job due to the fact that application process may take up to a year or over, depending on many factor.
They are recruiting 24 but this normally includes and welbeck students and university/sixth form sponsored students, so about 17 direct entrants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers guys,

Do not quit your job. The application process is NOT so tough that you need to quit everything else to do it. If you find it that tough you won't get through it. Your fitness would have to be maintained whilst working as an Officer, so again, if you can't hack it now......
As said, it could take some time. What if you didn't pass? You need your job.

You need to develop a broad view of current affairs both domestic and international. You need to read several different sources of news and read some analysis rather than just reporting. The Economist is good to read now and then. Read a left-leaning news source, something middling and something right-leaning. Then form your own views that you have thought about and can defend if questioned.
It doesn't matter how many places there are. If you are good enough you'll get one.
Reply 8
Cheers guys,

My application has been ongoing almost a year now...that's longer than the norm, but in any case quitting your job would not be a good idea. Obviously, you'll need to ensure you budget enough annual leave days in order to be able to make the presentation/interview/medical(s)/OASC etc. And possibly be prepared for raised eyebrows and knowing looks among colleagues curious to know why you could possibly want a lone Tuesday or Wednesday off work (maybe that's just my office...) I just factored in an hour each evening for interview preparation and the fitness was stuff I do anyway- if I get to the OASC stage I might take a few days off beforehand for preparation.
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice guys, think il have to keep the job then, was hoping for yas to say quit haha... Working in sainsburys at the moment, depressing! They want me to commit my life to them... I just keep thinking of the four walls!
Cheers guys
The numbers vary year by year. They recruit as they need new people and this changes all the time. A Branch might recruit anything from none to a lot in a year. Don't try to apply to a Branch that happens to be open just because you want to join up. Work towards the role you want because you might be very unhappy in a Branch that isn't your first choice.
Original post by Opts
Sorry for quoting 5 months later on - but they only take in 17 per year? I feel pretty well prepared now, so am going to start my app for Logistics officer next week.

Also, does anyone know how this figure of 17 compares to other branches... Int/ABM/ATC?

Pro's right, numbers vary and they're largely a useless thing to know, but think about this as an example... every station requires Logistics and therefore requires a few officers. Not every base is a flying station, so therefore doesn't require ATC...

I went through on the last of the old style surge course - 151 started IOT - and I was one of 9 IntOs recruited for that year.

But really, it doesn't matter. If the branch you want is open, apply, do your best. If you're good enough, you'll get in. Trying to play quotas is a waste of energy.

Quick Reply

Latest