The Student Room Group

Books...

Scroll to see replies

I highly recommend Wolf Born by N. Gosney

*coughs slightly*
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Because you can't fit an xbox 360 and a tv into your rucksack when going abroad...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I was going abroad I'd be taking more than just a rucksack. And there would be better things to do instead of watching TV, or reading
Original post by miser
For non-fiction I tend to read philosophy, history and science. The book I finished most recently was The Conquest of Happiness by Bertrand Russell; before that I read Moving Toward Stillness by Dave Lowry - a collection of essays on budo. Today I started With Malice Toward None by Stephen R. Oates, which is a biography of Abraham Lincoln.

I only tend to read non fiction books, mostly wildlife type books. I'm not really into fiction books, don't know why.

My favourite has to be Caledonia: Scotland's Heart of Pine. It's basically a book about the Scottish Caledonian forests, their history, the wildlife, and it is written to make the case for large scale forest ecosystem restoration, and it has lots of brilliant photos as well. It's beautifully written with text which can be very thought provoking if you're interested in that sort of thing, it's certainly been that way for me.

I also remember one called The Ever Changing Woodlands, which I got from a relative when I was about 6. A book about as old as I am (maybe older) all about woodlands and the wildlife in them. I used to love reading it when I was younger, even if I didn't 100% understand all of it. Those were the days.

It's just occured to me that I might not be as normal as I thought.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I highly recommend Wolf Born by N. Gosney

*coughs slightly*

I agree with this, it's very good :biggrin:. Can't WAIT for the sequel!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I agree with this, it's very good :biggrin:. Can't WAIT for the sequel!

haha when the author isn't juggling nappies and piano playing :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 25
Original post by Clyde-Bonnie94
I finished reading the perks of being a wallflower, my opinion is 'meh' about it.

I have war and peace too! I haven't started it yet though.

I tend to go from one genre to next. I enjoy simpler books also, like Alice in the wonderland or the velveteen rabbit. And I'm liking the beginning of trainspotting, even in it's scottish dialect!

I'm about 80 pages into The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, and I agree that it's 'meh'...I prefer "It's Kind Of A Funny Story" as a book about being a teenager.
Reply 26
(comments to sub to thread)

Looking to read I Am Legend soon, hopefully Waterstones has it in stock
Original post by nohomo
I'm about 80 pages into The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, and I agree that it's 'meh'...I prefer "It's Kind Of A Funny Story" as a book about being a teenager.

Yeah I know, it's quite overrated if I'm honest. I haven't read "It's Kind Of A Funny Story" but I've heard it's a good book though. I'll look out for that one. :smile:
Original post by OceanGlider101
Hey guys, Hopefully this post will be of mutual benefit; we all love a good book chat :P
So:
What genres do you like to read?
What's your favorite book/s?
What would you recommend?

I read mostly classics and crime fiction, as well as some contemporary fiction... Pretty much all genres except sci fi, soppy chick flick novels & fantasy vampire/werewolves rubbish.

Favourite books are Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, 1984 by Orwell and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky :tongue:

Well, I'm a big fan of classics - especially by Russian authors - so I would recommend the likes of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.... Other, more contemporary authors I like are Sophie Hannah, Lesley Pearce, Nora Roberts, John Green and Khaled Hosseini. I'd recommend them all :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What genres do you like to read? Literally anything! Maths, Science, fiction, non-fiction, History, Classics - I'll take the lot!
What's your favorite book/s? Harry Potters of course, The New Policeman, Candide, Of Mice and Men
What would you recommend? All of the above, plus The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Life of Pi and anything by Conan Doyle.
My favourite book of all time is George Orwell's "Animal Farm". Generally, I read political/conspiracy type novels, and action-adventure ones too.
Reply 31
For fiction I love 'One Day' by David Nicholls, and for non-fiction I love 'Miracle in the Andes' by Nando Parrado.
Having a look over at my bookcase and another book I remember I loved reading was 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett.
Original post by ArsenalObsessed
I read mostly classics and crime fiction, as well as some contemporary fiction... Pretty much all genres except sci fi, soppy chick flick novels & fantasy vampire/werewolves rubbish.

Favourite books are Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, 1984 by Orwell and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky :tongue:

Well, I'm a big fan of classics - especially by Russian authors - so I would recommend the likes of Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.... Other, more contemporary authors I like are Sophie Hannah, Lesley Pearce, Nora Roberts, John Green and Khaled Hosseini. I'd recommend them all :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! mmm, I'm a big fan of classics to, and yeah reading Tolstoy at the moment. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out, and yeah crime and punishment is great! (not that keen on Hosseini to be honest :P ) Cheers! :smile:
Original post by RFowler
I only tend to read non fiction books, mostly wildlife type books. I'm not really into fiction books, don't know why.

My favourite has to be Caledonia: Scotland's Heart of Pine. It's basically a book about the Scottish Caledonian forests, their history, the wildlife, and it is written to make the case for large scale forest ecosystem restoration, and it has lots of brilliant photos as well. It's beautifully written with text which can be very thought provoking if you're interested in that sort of thing, it's certainly been that way for me.

I also remember one called The Ever Changing Woodlands, which I got from a relative when I was about 6. A book about as old as I am (maybe older) all about woodlands and the wildlife in them. I used to love reading it when I was younger, even if I didn't 100% understand all of it. Those were the days.

It's just occured to me that I might not be as normal as I thought.

I share you liking for this also:smile: you should check out the classic - Walden - Henry David Thoreau ; He went to live for 2 years in a remote woodland 2 miles from his house in a small town in america, he wrote the book whilst living in the hut he built. it's very insightful and philosophical as well as explaining the woodland and how he went about doing it - a must read if your into this kind of thing. :smile:
Reply 34
Any type of books that pick my liking
The inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini and the LOTR series
I would recommend what others have said.
"Dear and most respected bookcase! I welcome your existence. "

Books, books, books oh I do love books.
I have a lot of favourite books and i can't write them all down or I'll be here forever!

Hmm..

I've lost count of how many times I've read Franny and Zooey and for that reason I would definitely recommend it.

I enjoy works by:
Dostovesky
Kafka
Hemmingway
Tolkein
Tolstoy
Plath
Salinger
Orwell

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
can anyone explain how stevenson uses vivid language to present the charachter of mr hyde in chapter 1 refering to his description ?
Hey guys, Hopefully this post will be of mutual benefit; we all love a good book chat :P
So:

I read a big range of stuff, just finished Walden - Henry Thoreau and am just starting on War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy. I have recently read Catch 22, A Clockwork Orange and some Hubert Selby; which I like very much.

(btw: anyone read Where the Moon Isn't - Nathan Filer? - noticed it in a shop the other day, seemed like a nice easy but interesting read. Any Good?) :smile:
If you likes Catch-22, you'll enjoy MASH, by Richard Hooker.

I mostly like sci-fi and fantasy, though I'll read pretty much anything.

Favourite books would probably be MASH and The Magicians Trilogy (by Lev Grossman).

Reccomendations... that's a hard one. I'll have to get back to you.

I'm also a writer myself, I self-published a sci-fi novella in January and am about to start editing the first of three parts of a long fantasy novel I've been working on.
Reply 38
I don't want to spoll the plot, because this is a short story, but Climate Fever is my current literary obsession:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43294454-climate-fever

It's about the planets, so it's definitely sci-fi, but I would also say that it has a hint of comedy, profound imagery, and addresses important themes. Oh and I like the structure!
So:

(...)

My favorite genre is classic. They have a lot of topics and are timeless what I appreciate.

My favorite are: Around the world in eighty days, The great Gatsby and The Buddenbrooks. Three novels, three different countries they were published.

John William's Stoner. My secret favorite.

Quick Reply