The Student Room Group

English with a foundation year at Manchester Metropolitan?

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What is your question?
Reply 2
Are you asking who else is going to be doing that course?
Because it isn't my firm choice, but there's a huge chance I won't be getting into my firm choice anyway (English with Italian - extremely random and I'm afraid that barely anyone else will take the course...)
But English (foundation) at MMU is my insurance choice, and most likely will be what I am doing this September!
I feel a foundation year will be a really nice way to ease us into the course and to just get a grip on how it is all done (Also, it might not be as gruelling as the other years will, so it will be a nice chance to get our heads ready for them lovely essays to come in later years)
Reply 3
Original post by Lexiria
Are you asking who else is going to be doing that course?
Because it isn't my firm choice, but there's a huge chance I won't be getting into my firm choice anyway (English with Italian - extremely random and I'm afraid that barely anyone else will take the course...)
But English (foundation) at MMU is my insurance choice, and most likely will be what I am doing this September!
I feel a foundation year will be a really nice way to ease us into the course and to just get a grip on how it is all done (Also, it might not be as gruelling as the other years will, so it will be a nice chance to get our heads ready for them lovely essays to come in later years)

I've only just seen your reply, my original question was if anyone knew what the foundation year actually entailed, but for some reason it's disappeared :frown: although knowing me I'll have deleted it by accident!
I've made it my firm choice and I went to one of MMU's visit days earlier this month and the English course looks amazing. I spoke to someone about the foundation year and they told me it was basically to get us up to speed with those already on the honours course and to provide an insight into English at degree level :smile:
If you do end up doing English with the foundation year it'll be really nice to know of someone else who'll be there with me!
Reply 4
Original post by Holly2595
I've only just seen your reply, my original question was if anyone knew what the foundation year actually entailed, but for some reason it's disappeared :frown: although knowing me I'll have deleted it by accident!
I've made it my firm choice and I went to one of MMU's visit days earlier this month and the English course looks amazing. I spoke to someone about the foundation year and they told me it was basically to get us up to speed with those already on the honours course and to provide an insight into English at degree level :smile:
If you do end up doing English with the foundation year it'll be really nice to know of someone else who'll be there with me!

There is more possibility of me doing English foundation than English with Italian, which means I am really happy to have met someone going on the same course as me (I'm not very good socially, I get extremely nervous and shy so I was afraid of not making any friends - so speaking to people beforehand helps me a lot :smile: )

I'm not going to any of the applicant days, but I know it will be a good course and place anyway. I went to open day and only met the language teachers, but I think English takes place in the same building (I'm good at getting lost so knowing this helps me too)

I hope degree level English isn't too different from A level English because I quite like my lessons at the moment. Between English and History, English won because History is extremely hard in A level and has rid of any passion I had for the subject.
Reply 5
Original post by Lexiria
There is more possibility of me doing English foundation than English with Italian, which means I am really happy to have met someone going on the same course as me (I'm not very good socially, I get extremely nervous and shy so I was afraid of not making any friends - so speaking to people beforehand helps me a lot :smile: )

I'm not going to any of the applicant days, but I know it will be a good course and place anyway. I went to open day and only met the language teachers, but I think English takes place in the same building (I'm good at getting lost so knowing this helps me too)

I hope degree level English isn't too different from A level English because I quite like my lessons at the moment. Between English and History, English won because History is extremely hard in A level and has rid of any passion I had for the subject.

In that case I'm glad I'll know someone who'll probably be on my course - I was worried I wouldn't fit in as I'm 19 so I'll be a year older than most freshers :smile: but you're more than welcome to talk to me, I love meeting new people so it would be really nice!

Geoffrey Manton (where the English lectures are) is such a fabulous building and the lecture theatres are so spacious - I was seriously impressed by them :smile: and MMU sounds like such a good university so I'm hoping I'll enjoy my time there.

It doesn't sound too different from English A Level, it's more focused on the literature side so I was pleased to find it was furthering the studies of similar stuff I've done during my lit a level. The language side is also similar to the a level too :smile: which English A level have you studied? :smile:
Reply 6
In that case I'm glad I'll know someone who'll probably be on my course - I was worried I wouldn't fit in as I'm 19 so I'll be a year older than most freshers :smile: but you're more than welcome to talk to me, I love meeting new people so it would be really nice!

Geoffrey Manton (where the English lectures are) is such a fabulous building and the lecture theatres are so spacious - I was seriously impressed by them :smile: and MMU sounds like such a good university so I'm hoping I'll enjoy my time there.

It doesn't sound too different from English A Level, it's more focused on the literature side so I was pleased to find it was furthering the studies of similar stuff I've done during my lit a level. The language side is also similar to the a level too :smile: which English A level have you studied? :smile:

You'll fit in no matter what age, my mum went university at the age of 50 and made friends who were 30 years her junior; as long as we all have the subject in common, it shouldn't be too hard to be accepted.

I only picked MMU because I wanted to live at home so I had to pick a close university, but I'm happy I did.

It's funny because I love literature but I don't find much time to read so I hope that doesn't hinder my experience too much. In A level, I'm doing both Literature and Language so I have experience with both which is good. Did you have a gap year then? I couldn't do such a thing as I have no motivation to do anything but watch movies and play games.
Reply 7
Original post by Lexiria
You'll fit in no matter what age, my mum went university at the age of 50 and made friends who were 30 years her junior; as long as we all have the subject in common, it shouldn't be too hard to be accepted.

I only picked MMU because I wanted to live at home so I had to pick a close university, but I'm happy I did.

It's funny because I love literature but I don't find much time to read so I hope that doesn't hinder my experience too much. In A level, I'm doing both Literature and Language so I have experience with both which is good. Did you have a gap year then? I couldn't do such a thing as I have no motivation to do anything but watch movies and play games.

Hopefully I'll fit it just fine then - it was just a worry of mine but then again I tend to worry about a lot of things haha.

Ah right, do you live in/near Manchester? I'm from Chesterfield which is just south of Sheffield so I'll be moving into halls at MMU.

You sound similar to me, I love literature but don't have time to read loads outside of sixth form but I enjoyed the literary texts I've studied for A Level. I've studied both Englishes too but I definitely preferred lit more.

I've not had a gap year, I've resat year 13 because last year I had lots of personal problems which prevented me from completing it last year so I came back and started again :smile: it's been a scary and tough experience but the motivation of being in Manchester from September is getting me through.
Reply 8
Hopefully I'll fit it just fine then - it was just a worry of mine but then again I tend to worry about a lot of things haha.

Ah right, do you live in/near Manchester? I'm from Chesterfield which is just south of Sheffield so I'll be moving into halls at MMU.

You sound similar to me, I love literature but don't have time to read loads outside of sixth form but I enjoyed the literary texts I've studied for A Level. I've studied both Englishes too but I definitely preferred lit more.

I've not had a gap year, I've resat year 13 because last year I had lots of personal problems which prevented me from completing it last year so I came back and started again :smile: it's been a scary and tough experience but the motivation of being in Manchester from September is getting me through.

Yes, I live not too far from the centre so I will only need to take a tram to university (though public transport prices will be hefty unfortunately)

Same! Although in one of my modules I had to study the Lovely Bones, which I had already read beforehand and didn't like too much so that was annoying; but the other books like the Kite Runner were good.

Ah, well I hope everything is all right, it's annoying when things occur during the school year because there isn't a lot you can do about it, but at least there was a chance of starting the year anew.

It's funny because the Uni experience is meant to be amazing and everyone looks forward to it, but I am nothing but nervous about September. I mean, I'm not the most confident of people, I worry about everything and hate change, but I really hope Uni proves to be a great experience (Which has also been made a lot easier if I know someone on my course :smile: )
Reply 9
Original post by Lexiria
Yes, I live not too far from the centre so I will only need to take a tram to university (though public transport prices will be hefty unfortunately)

Same! Although in one of my modules I had to study the Lovely Bones, which I had already read beforehand and didn't like too much so that was annoying; but the other books like the Kite Runner were good.

Ah, well I hope everything is all right, it's annoying when things occur during the school year because there isn't a lot you can do about it, but at least there was a chance of starting the year anew.

It's funny because the Uni experience is meant to be amazing and everyone looks forward to it, but I am nothing but nervous about September. I mean, I'm not the most confident of people, I worry about everything and hate change, but I really hope Uni proves to be a great experience (Which has also been made a lot easier if I know someone on my course :smile: )

That's not too far at all, and I'm assuming the travelling costs will be tonnes lower than accomodation costs.

We never read The Lovely Bones but we have done Wuthering Heights/ Pride and Prejudice - both of which I liked. I loved reading The a Importance Of Being Earnest, the satire and cynical views used in it by Wilde are hilarious! I did also enjoy The Kite Runner too :smile:

Things seem to be going a lot better now in regards to sixth form thank you :smile: It definitely was (and sometimes still is) annoying, but I'm grateful for being given a second chance.

I don't blame you for being nervous, it's a huge change in your life and I'd probably feel the same if the majority of my friends hadn't have left me to go last September. I'm nervous too but I just feel like I'm ready to leave home. But honestly don't worry, lots of people will be in the same boat and hopefully we'll both be making tonnes of new friends in no time! :smile:
Reply 10
That's not too far at all, and I'm assuming the travelling costs will be tonnes lower than accomodation costs.

We never read The Lovely Bones but we have done Wuthering Heights/ Pride and Prejudice - both of which I liked. I loved reading The a Importance Of Being Earnest, the satire and cynical views used in it by Wilde are hilarious! I did also enjoy The Kite Runner too :smile:

Things seem to be going a lot better now in regards to sixth form thank you :smile: It definitely was (and sometimes still is) annoying, but I'm grateful for being given a second chance.

I don't blame you for being nervous, it's a huge change in your life and I'd probably feel the same if the majority of my friends hadn't have left me to go last September. I'm nervous too but I just feel like I'm ready to leave home. But honestly don't worry, lots of people will be in the same boat and hopefully we'll both be making tonnes of new friends in no time! :smile:

Hi, I've not been on here for a long time and I'm sorry I forgot to reply to you. I don't know if you still check this but if you do, I'm doing English Foundation so we should be together! It was so annoying, I got my results on the 19th like everyone else, but UCAS never update and MMU weren't giving me answers; they only told me I was accepted into the course 2 days ago. I don't know anyone in my area doing English foundation, but I know you so that makes me feel better.
Reply 11
Original post by Lexiria
Hi, I've not been on here for a long time and I'm sorry I forgot to reply to you. I don't know if you still check this but if you do, I'm doing English Foundation so we should be together! It was so annoying, I got my results on the 19th like everyone else, but UCAS never update and MMU weren't giving me answers; they only told me I was accepted into the course 2 days ago. I don't know anyone in my area doing English foundation, but I know you so that makes me feel better.

Hi, congratulations on getting your place! :smile: hmm that's pretty rubbish that you didn't get informed of your place. Do you have your timetable yet? I'm in the same boat, I haven't met or spoken to anyone else who's doing the English foundation course either, but at least I know that you're taking it too.
Reply 12
Hi, congratulations on getting your place! :smile: hmm that's pretty rubbish that you didn't get informed of your place. Do you have your timetable yet? I'm in the same boat, I haven't met or spoken to anyone else who's doing the English foundation course either, but at least I know that you're taking it too.

All I know is that I'm going to the Geoffrey Manton building at 11am on the 22nd. I guess we get our full timetable there? Due to my place being late, I haven't received a lot of things other people have; I don't even have my map yet. I'm getting really nervous now, but I know it will be easier than I think. We're all in the same boat and no one will be doing the course with a someone they know, so we will all be on our own at the start. I just have to make sure I just go up to people and strike a conversation.
Reply 13
Original post by Lexiria
All I know is that I'm going to the Geoffrey Manton building at 11am on the 22nd. I guess we get our full timetable there? Due to my place being late, I haven't received a lot of things other people have; I don't even have my map yet. I'm getting really nervous now, but I know it will be easier than I think. We're all in the same boat and no one will be doing the course with a someone they know, so we will all be on our own at the start. I just have to make sure I just go up to people and strike a conversation.

Me too, I don't have a timetable yet either or a map! Geoffrey Manton isn't too far from my halls though so hopefully I won't get too lost. I'm excited to be moving out but I'm also so nervous at the same time, but like you said we're all in the same boat so I'm sure everyone will be eager to make friends and get to know people.
Reply 14
Me too, I don't have a timetable yet either or a map! Geoffrey Manton isn't too far from my halls though so hopefully I won't get too lost. I'm excited to be moving out but I'm also so nervous at the same time, but like you said we're all in the same boat so I'm sure everyone will be eager to make friends and get to know people.

Thankfully my bus stop seems to be extremely close to the Geoffrey Manton building so I shouldn't get too lost either. MMU is quite big and everywhere seems to link; I went there recently for a friends art show and got terribly lost. I really hope our course doesn't move around much in terms of rooms. It will be exciting getting to meet each other though, and I'm sure the day will go just fine.
Reply 15
Original post by Lexiria
Thankfully my bus stop seems to be extremely close to the Geoffrey Manton building so I shouldn't get too lost either. MMU is quite big and everywhere seems to link; I went there recently for a friends art show and got terribly lost. I really hope our course doesn't move around much in terms of rooms. It will be exciting getting to meet each other though, and I'm sure the day will go just fine.

I know, there are so many different buildings. But hopefully we'll find our way around, I'm sure other people will be worrying about getting lost as well. Have you got your finalised timetable? I've just checked my myMMU and mine has finally been completed. :biggrin:
Reply 16
I know, there are so many different buildings. But hopefully we'll find our way around, I'm sure other people will be worrying about getting lost as well. Have you got your finalised timetable? I've just checked my myMMU and mine has finally been completed. :biggrin:

Erm the only form of timetable I can find is my induction one. If there is another one can you please told me where you found it. My induction timetable says I'm in Geoffrey Manton LT1 11am-1pm Monday for "welcome to the department", LT6 1pm-2pm "Foundation year". Then it says on Tuesday I'm going to some random building at 5pm-6pm for social stuff. After that I don't see a single thing. I assume our time tables are the same?
Reply 17
Original post by Lexiria
Erm the only form of timetable I can find is my induction one. If there is another one can you please told me where you found it. My induction timetable says I'm in Geoffrey Manton LT1 11am-1pm Monday for "welcome to the department", LT6 1pm-2pm "Foundation year". Then it says on Tuesday I'm going to some random building at 5pm-6pm for social stuff. After that I don't see a single thing. I assume our time tables are the same?

Have you enrolled online yet? If so then if you google my MMU it'll bring up the MMU student hub page in google, then on there you should be able to log into your myMMU with your student ID and password. You can then find out your timetable from there.
Reply 18
Have you enrolled online yet? If so then if you google my MMU it'll bring up the MMU student hub page in google, then on there you should be able to log into your myMMU with your student ID and password. You can then find out your timetable from there.

Thank you so much, I kept seeing the log in page but thought I hadn't received my log in details yet. Didn't realise it was just my ID and pass. KK my timetable is decent enough. After induction week, I'm just in Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. For Wednesday I'm only in for an hour and a half; they all seem to be in the Geoffrey Manton building too so not much getting lost. Do you have a similar timetable? It occurred to me that even if we are doing the same course, there might be separate classes.
Reply 19
Original post by Lexiria
Thank you so much, I kept seeing the log in page but thought I hadn't received my log in details yet. Didn't realise it was just my ID and pass. KK my timetable is decent enough. After induction week, I'm just in Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. For Wednesday I'm only in for an hour and a half; they all seem to be in the Geoffrey Manton building too so not much getting lost. Do you have a similar timetable? It occurred to me that even if we are doing the same course, there might be separate classes.

It's okay, I'm glad you found it. :smile: I'm only in Monday - Wednesday too, but I think there's a number of separate groups for those on our course. My phone won't let me post a photo but I'm in Monday 9-10, 12-1 and 2-3 then Tuesday 9-10, 12-1 and 1-2 and Wednesday 9-10:30. I'm quite happy with that timetable, no late finishes and I'm done for the week after 10:30 on Wednesday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending