The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Signed Leon Best on a season-long loan.

People are laughing at us but I think this could be a really astute signing. Got "McClaren masterstroke" written all over it :P
Derby and Fulham to go up automatically for me.
Original post by Mackay
Derby and Fulham to go up automatically for me.

Both will surely be up there, I would put Cardiff, Wigan and Watford and the two you mentioned as the real promotion contenders
(edited 9 years ago)
Fulham have signed a ton of new players and they've let a lot go, their team will take time to gel. They aren't going to play the likes of Stekelenburg, Mitroglou & Ruiz, what would be the point when the club knows they'll be off at the first opportunity. I think they'll be up there but I can't see them running away with the league. I'm surprised you didn't mention Norwich who apart from Snodgrass, have kept the squad together from last season.

Blackpool are guaranteed to finish bottom as well. Do they have a keeper yet?
This is the table I posted on another forum.

Norwich are favourites for me. Just looking at their squad, they have Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Olsson, Johnson, Pilkington, Redmond, Hoolahan, Hooper, Becchio and Grabban, most of which were competent Prem players. They SHOULD walk this league.

I like what Watford are doing too. Gomes, Cathcart, Tamas, Dyer and, of course, Vydra are all good signings at this level. I reckon they'll sneak into the play-offs late on and go on to win it from there.

1. Norwich
2. Derby
3. Wigan
4. Cardiff
5. Fulham
6. Watford (surprise package - go up through POs)
7. Middlesborough
8. Blackburn
9. Ipswich
10. Forest
11. Bournemouth
12. Brighton
13. Wolves
14. Reading
15. Bolton
16. Huddersfield
17. Wednesday
18. Millwall
19. Brentford
20. Charlton
21. Rotherham
22. Leeds
23. Birmingham
24. Blackpool
I reckon Wednesday will spring a surprise this season.
Original post by Scott129
This is the table I posted on another forum.

Norwich are favourites for me. Just looking at their squad, they have Ruddy, Martin, Bassong, Olsson, Johnson, Pilkington, Redmond, Hoolahan, Hooper, Becchio and Grabban, most of which were competent Prem players. They SHOULD walk this league.

I like what Watford are doing too. Gomes, Cathcart, Tamas, Dyer and, of course, Vydra are all good signings at this level. I reckon they'll sneak into the play-offs late on and go on to win it from there.

1. Norwich
2. Derby
3. Wigan
4. Cardiff
5. Fulham
6. Watford (surprise package - go up through POs)
7. Middlesborough
8. Blackburn
9. Ipswich
10. Forest
11. Bournemouth
12. Brighton
13. Wolves
14. Reading
15. Bolton
16. Huddersfield
17. Wednesday
18. Millwall
19. Brentford
20. Charlton
21. Rotherham
22. Leeds
23. Birmingham
24. Blackpool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, I'll try this also.

Fulham first for me. Magaths discipline should suit the championship and I imagine they'll be up for the fight. Watford second, albeit this is all down to our defence, as I do believe we have the most talented attack in the league, and after a few years experience, is now suited to English football.

Derby, were in my opinion the surprise team last year, like Watford the year before, so I am wary on Derby based on our own plight last year, although our squads are very different.

Can't see a surprise team in the championship this year I'm afraid.

1. Fulham
2. Watford
3. Wigan
4. Cardiff
5. Norwich
6. Derby
7. Reading
8. Forest
9. Leeds
10. Brighton
11. Ipswich
12. Blackburn
13. Bournemouth
14. Huddersfield
15. Wedensday
16. Middlesbrough
17. Wolves
18. Bolton
19. Millwall
20. Charlton
21. Birmingham
22. Brentford
23. Rotherham
24. Blackpool
Original post by CraigWM
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, I'll try this also.

Fulham first for me. Magaths discipline should suit the championship and I imagine they'll be up for the fight. Watford second, albeit this is all down to our defence, as I do believe we have the most talented attack in the league, and after a few years experience, is now suited to English football.

Derby, were in my opinion the surprise team last year, like Watford the year before, so I am wary on Derby based on our own plight last year, although our squads are very different.

Can't see a surprise team in the championship this year I'm afraid.

Hmmm, I'm not sure you do, although I may be biased :tongue:

We were top scorers last season and, besides the loss of Bamford, we've got an even more attacking squad now.

I'll think you'll lose Deeney as well before the end of the window. That will be a blow (although Vydra's arrival certainly softens it).

That whole "teams who fail in the PO final do poorly the next year" thing is just superstition. I don't buy into the hangover or whatever. If you're teams good enough, it will show in the league table...simple as that.
Hmmm, I'm not sure you do, although I may be biased :tongue:

We were top scorers last season and, besides the loss of Bamford, we've got an even more attacking squad now.

I'll think you'll lose Deeney as well before the end of the window. That will be a blow (although Vydra's arrival certainly softens it).

That whole "teams who fail in the PO final do poorly the next year" thing is just superstition. I don't buy into the hangover or whatever. If you're teams good enough, it will show in the league table...simple as that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think its due to any playoff final hangover. Our playoff year we played passing, counterattacking football, which no one thought Watford did. The season after, everyone knew what we were doing, scored a goal, and sat back. Whether people will approach Derby differently now, now that you're a known strong team again, will become obvious ten games in.

I honestly don't think we'll lose Deeney, I don't think Leicester are willing to go up to eight figures, which I think we're holding for. Only way I can really see him going is a classic Redknapp panic buy on deadline day. Besides, he hasn't looked his old self in pre season, £10m would be amazing for someone who was stamping on students two years ago.

I think we have the most talented attack, whether it'll be the best for the Championship, who knows. But with Deeney, Vydra, Ighalo and Ranegie with Anya, Dyer, Forestieri and Fabbrini on the wings, I can't see much better, whilst people think we'll be playing Deeney/Vydra the whole way through, I think Ranegie/Ighalo would be almost as good as Deeney/Vydra, in the same way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fawaz selling players behind pearces back :laugh: How long before they bring back king billy for another crack?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Fawaz selling players behind pearces back :laugh: How long before they bring back king billy for another crack?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Darlow and Lascelles to Newcastle for peanuts.

Lansbury looks like he's on his way to Burnley.

Cox and Mackie going to Reading.

Pearce will be gone by Christmas as well, I reckon :biggrin:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't they get a winding up order earlier in the summer?
Darlow and Lascelles to Newcastle for peanuts.

Lansbury looks like he's on his way to Burnley.

Cox and Mackie going to Reading.

Pearce will be gone by Christmas as well, I reckon :biggrin:

What the hell? That's a Southampton style exodus, is Fawaz selling the club or is this FFP?
Original post by sr90
What the hell? That's a Southampton style exodus, is Fawaz selling the club or is this FFP?

He says it's for FFP but the suspicion is that he wants to sell.

Either way, it's hilarious. Can't see them challenging this coming year at all.
We'll stay up. I don't think we'll do that well but we'll stay up. 15th or 16th would be very good. (Brentford)
Surprised so many are tipping Bolton for bottom half. They finished really strongly last year and, despite losing Juktiewicz, I think they will have a steady year if they recruit some goals from somewhere. I certainly don't think they will get play-offs, but mid-table is assured.
Forest supposedly about to sign Assombalonga from P'boro for around £8m in total. Watford get 50% of the profit from the deal, Peterborough bought him for £1.5m from us... League One strikers now overinflated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
£8m for a league one striker? Jesus. This summer has just been ridiculous for over inflated prices.

Original post by CraigWM
Didn't they get a winding up order earlier in the summer?

just looked at companies house, and apparently they did. All going wrong for them this summer.
Original post by CraigWM
Forest supposedly about to sign Assombalonga from P'boro for around £8m in total. Watford get 50% of the profit from the deal, Peterborough bought him for £1.5m from us... League One strikers now overinflated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crazy. Britt's completely unproven in this league and Forest need guaranteed goals. Huge risk.

2m for Michail Antonio as well, one of the most inconsistent players in this league. Talented though.
Original post by CraigWM

£8m, what the actual ****? Even half of that is ridiculous.For £3.5m Peterborough could buy an entire new team and win League One by some distance. Charlton did just that with the Carl Jenkinson cash and that was barely £1m.

Compare this to Reading who are getting Cox, Mackie and potentially Murray for half of that amount.

Quick Reply

Latest