The Student Room Group

I'm stuck in science

I have to do a practice exam paper to determine which set I am in for year 11 and whether I take triple science or not. I am stuck on one question here it is: this is worth 3 marks, why would a steam train be considered carbon neutral if it used wood from the surrounding forest as fuel?
Original post by G171198
I have to do a practice exam paper to determine which set I am in for year 11 and whether I take triple science or not. I am stuck on one question here it is: this is worth 3 marks, why would a steam train be considered carbon neutral if it used wood from the surrounding forest as fuel?

I think it would, as the wood can only release the carbon dioxide it had originally taken in during photosynthesis when is is combusted, so there would be no net carbon change.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by G171198

Because the amount of carbon dioxide given off by the train (during combustion) is the same as the amount of carbon dioxide taken in by the trees in the forest during photosynthesis. So overall the train emits no net carbon dioxide.
Original post by G171198

The steam train would almost certainly not be carbon neutral. Whilst it is sort of true that all of the carbon emitted through the combustion of the wood originally came from the atmosphere (which actually isn't 100% correct), this isn't the only process happening. How is this wood being cut down? How is the wood being transported and cut into the right sizes? How is the wood being loaded onto the train? All of these processes are almost certainly going to be done by machines and until we get solar powered trucks and deforestation machines, those processes are not going to be carbon neutral.

Quick Reply

Latest