The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Fantastic opening game.
The way Murray dislocates his jaw every time he breaks serve. It is just repulsive to look at.
What a match! I hate to say it because it's a cliche and it goes against everything sport is about but I don't think either deserved to lose. Quality from Murray and when you consider del Potro's last few years and this week he is phenomenal. He always was, and clearly still is, a man for the big matches. He may not always win them but he somehow gives everything in them even when it looks like he's about to keel over. Hopefully this can be the start of something great again for del Potro.
Original post by TheMagicRat
What a match! I hate to say it because it's a cliche and it goes against everything sport is about but I don't think either deserved to lose. Quality from Murray and when you consider del Potro's last few years and this week he is phenomenal. He always was, and clearly still is, a man for the big matches. He may not always win them but he somehow gives everything in them even when it looks like he's about to keel over. Hopefully this can be the start of something great again for del Potro.

This confirms my view. If this really is the death of the big 3 finally and he stays fit, Del Potro will end 2017 as world number 1 and a 2 time grand slam champion at a minimum. The newbies are just so inferior compared to him.
Nah djokovic and Murray will be dominating for the next few years to come still.
I would love to see del Potro get right back up there but I think world number one would be a bit too much. I don't think he is consistent enough for that. He's the kind of person who lives for the big occasions and produces it in the big matches but I always feel as though he could come undone in earlier rounds against lesser opponents.

I could see him winning a slam or two though if things go right. I agree, the new guys coming through aren't all that and del Potro is about to turn 28 but in terms of legs it will be a young 28 because of his injuries. The question is whether his wrists can hold up. My heart tells me that he can win a slam again but my head kind of tells me that he will be another Tommy Haas.
So, Murray did it and made history. Surely, it is bad in the view of Del Potro not being able to crown his great performances against Djovokic and Nadal with the gold medal, in the other hand the second gold medal in men's single in a row underlines that Murray is a top tenis player, currently the second best after Djovokic in my opinon.*
Anyone watching Murray cilic tonight? And a prediction?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Del Potro vs Theim in the 4th round should be interesting.
Original post by Rakas21
Del Potro vs Theim in the 4th round should be interesting.

I still don't get the Thiem hype. Delpo should trash him relatively easily if he brings the form from the Olympics.
Original post by monk1324
I still don't get the Thiem hype. Delpo should trash him relatively easily if he brings the form from the Olympics.

Fitness seems his main enemy if he's engaged in a long match again.
Reply 4951
Original post by Rakas21
Fitness seems his main enemy if he's engaged in a long match again.

Thiem Is overrated, DJokovic seems to have a very difficult draw.... Murray will fancy his chances this year....
If Murray doesn't win the US Open this year that would be a huge disappointment on his part, Djokovic isn't a lock to get to the final, Nadal is patchy, no Federer and Wawrinka has blown more cold than hot this season. This could be where Murray takes a huge step towards the number 1 ranking so should be an interesting fortnight
How is thiem overrated? He's brilliant to watch,hits the ball hard off both wings and his form this year has been incredible.
Original post by Gnatt27
How is thiem overrated? He's brilliant to watch,hits the ball hard off both wings and his form this year has been incredible.

He's getting his arse handed to him every time by top players...
Posted from TSR Mobile

If your definition of top player is Djokovic or Murray then you are correct but other than those two he has performed well against other top 10 players.he beat federer on grass in stutguart this year and actually holds a 2-1 record over him in his favour.h E has also beaten the likes of nadal,wawrinka,Cilic,ferrer and monfils.far from overrated lol
Monfils with an impressive looking first set. As always, one to watch.
Edmund very impressive today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4958
Great to see Delpo back in the game! Having said that, I'm rooting for Nadal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you watch delpo match?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest