The Student Room Group

Exam time

My son has been given extra exam time, a quiet room and laptop to use during exams. He has got his first exam on Monday and didn't realise he had to make sure all the above things were in place. Needless to say they weren't. I've spent lots of time on the phone this afternoon and all they can offer is a few breaks in between. He has dyspraxia so his handwriting will be unreadable and his hand will be sore. Just to make people realise they have to check with college/uni that they are in place 4-6 weeks before exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Leylo
My son has been given extra exam time, a quiet room and laptop to use during exams. He has got his first exam on Monday and didn't realise he had to make sure all the above things were in place. Needless to say they weren't. I've spent lots of time on the phone this afternoon and all they can offer is a few breaks in between. He has dyspraxia so his handwriting will be unreadable and his hand will be sore. Just to make people realise they have to check with college/uni that they are in place 4-6 weeks before exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry this happened to your son! I can understand his frustration as I am also dyspraxic!

Note taking in some of my lessons where the teacher doesn't give written notes and dictates a lot is hard and I often can't read my writing because I'm trying so hard to concentrate and write as fast as I can before I forget what she's saying!

However, it was his/your responsibility to check everything is in place as sometimes schools/colleges do make mistakes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Kelytha
I'm sorry this happened to your son! I can understand his frustration as I am also dyspraxic!

Note taking in some of my lessons where the teacher doesn't give written notes and dictates a lot is hard and I often can't read my writing because I'm trying so hard to concentrate and write as fast as I can before I forget what she's saying!

However, it was his/your responsibility to check everything is in place as sometimes schools/colleges do make mistakes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

can you not use a tablet or laptop then?
Reply 3
No they won't provide one and they wouldn't let you use your own in case of cheating!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Another case of a disability adviser at a uni failing to support a student effectively- what is the point of assessors making recommendations when they are ignored. What should happen is each DSA student should have a follow up appointment with their disability adviser to go over the report and recommendations and then the disability adviser puts the recommendations in place.

Yes, there has to be some element of the student making sure things are in place, but the students don't know the procedures like the disability adviser (allegedly) does. I advise all my students to contact the exams office a week before the start of exams to check what has been recorded.

With the uni I work with, the exams office and arrangements are in disarray as the recommendations are getting changed by the disability adviser even at last minute with no evidence of need. Needless to say this wills top.
Reply 5
What a miserable experience for your son, OP. Whilst my current uni does rely on students to double-check that agreed DSA special arrangements are in place, they go out of their way to send multiple emails in the run-up to exam periods, reminding students to do this and telling them how. They also put posters up around the campus with the same information.
Reply 6
Original post by Leylo
No they won't provide one and they wouldn't let you use your own in case of cheating!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I was talking to keltha about using one in class
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
Sorry I was talking to keltha about using one in class

Oops forgot to reply. I can't use a college laptop because they need to be booked and I can't afford £400/500 for a laptop that can last 5+ hours!

The college lent me a dictaphone though but I find I don't like listening back to lessons because of my hearing overload...

This is getting off topic lol. Pm me if you wish. Don't want to hijack ops thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by NJones
Another case of a disability adviser at a uni failing to support a student effectively- what is the point of assessors making recommendations when they are ignored. What should happen is each DSA student should have a follow up appointment with their disability adviser to go over the report and recommendations and then the disability adviser puts the recommendations in place.

Yes, there has to be some element of the student making sure things are in place, but the students don't know the procedures like the disability adviser (allegedly) does. I advise all my students to contact the exams office a week before the start of exams to check what has been recorded.

With the uni I work with, the exams office and arrangements are in disarray as the recommendations are getting changed by the disability adviser even at last minute with no evidence of need. Needless to say this wills top.

A reply I agree with completely

Quick Reply

Latest