The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Manc to NTU

I'll be applying for NTU for next year and I was told that if I chose a uni thats a bit of a journey to get to from Manchester (where I live), it will be more expensive for living costs etc. compared to if I chose one closer to home. Is this true? (Bit of a rubbish explanation, sorry)
Original post by Ronhaar
I'll be applying for NTU for next year and I was told that if I chose a uni thats a bit of a journey to get to from Manchester (where I live), it will be more expensive for living costs etc. compared to if I chose one closer to home. Is this true? (Bit of a rubbish explanation, sorry)

Hi Ronhaar,

Living costs should not be more expensive, however if you plan on travelling back home a lot you will find that will eat into your living costs.

Nottingham isn't expensive though. Nottingham is ranked as one of the top 15 most cost effective cities in which to study in the UK (Natwest Student Living Index 2010).

Also, if you have a rail card and book train tickets home early you can get a return ticket from £15ish.

Hope that helps!

Any more questions about the University or the city?
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi Ronhaar,

Living costs should not be more expensive, however if you plan on travelling back home a lot you will find that will eat into your living costs.

Nottingham isn't expensive though. Nottingham is ranked as one of the top 15 most cost effective cities in which to study in the UK (Natwest Student Living Index 2010).

Also, if you have a rail card and book train tickets home early you can get a return ticket from £15ish.

Hope that helps!

Any more questions about the University or the city?

Thanks! Thats a great help :')
Could you tell me a bit more about the city itself? I have looked but only quickly on the web.
If you're interested in shopping Nottingham is rated as a top 5 city. We have a variety of shops ranging from quirky boutiques to big brands such as Boots, Jack Wills, TopShop/Man, River Island, Zara and loads more. Personally, I think that Nottingham is incredible for its shops - I don't need to ever look to go shopping in a different city.

The music scene here is pretty good too. Rock City is a haven for anyone looking to go to Rock/Alternative/Metal gigs. Two years ago I went to see Black Stone Cherry there but other great artists play. On Saturday Rizzle Kicks play there, then on Sunday John Newman is performing. Ellie Golding is there in March, with You Me At Six and Ed Sheeran also playing later this year. You can also go to the Capital FM Arena to see Jack Whitehall perform comedy, Drake, Tinie Tempah, Nine Inch Nails and WWE Live. The Arena is also home to the Nottingham Panters Ice Hockey Team (definitely worth watching!).

Then there are other small venues such as The Bodega which tend to host small and up coming artists.

If you are interested in going out, the clubs are also excellent. There are two super-clubs: Oceana and Gatecrasher. Then there is our new Students' Union for Saturday nights and other clubs such as Forum, Penthouse, Pandoras Box, Market Bar and loads more. The pubs and bars are cool too. Basically Nottingham is immense for nights out (we've won the purple flag three years running as recognition for being a great place to party).

If you're into sport, NTU has over 50 sports clubs ranging from American Football and Archery, to Pole Dancing and Karate. Our SU even has its own climbing wall. The city is also home to Notts County and Nottingham Forest FC, as well as Trent Bridge Cricket Ground, Capital FM Ice Arena, the Watersports Centre and loads more.

Food here is pretty good too. I'd recommend going to Turtle Bay, Marrakesh, Las Iguanas or Jamie's Italian.

Sorry for the essay!

Any more questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending