The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Anyone else care to discuss their choices and why?? And their excitement :3

Scroll to see replies

Yes! :biggrin:
I'm applying to Kingston, Slade, Goldsmiths, Brighton and Chelsea. I think they're are all really good courses that allow you to think for yourself and develop in your own way. I'm not a big fan or briefs. :wink:
I thought Chelsea had great facilities but I didn't think I would fit in there. Not something I can explain, it just didn't feel like me. I think I'd be happy at any of the others, but Slade is my first choice because I think it's the place that complements my work the best. I'm concerned Goldsmiths might be a tad pretentious but the people I met there were all really nice and down to earth. Kingston and Goldsmiths are pretty much tied in second place and it would be genuinely hard to choose between them (if, by some miracle, I was offered a place at both). I'm rambling a bit. :rolleyes:

How about you?
Reply 2
Original post by HelveticaBold
Yes! :biggrin:
I'm applying to Kingston, Slade, Goldsmiths, Brighton and Chelsea. I think they're are all really good courses that allow you to think for yourself and develop in your own way. I'm not a big fan or briefs. :wink:
I thought Chelsea had great facilities but I didn't think I would fit in there. Not something I can explain, it just didn't feel like me. I think I'd be happy at any of the others, but Slade is my first choice because I think it's the place that complements my work the best. I'm concerned Goldsmiths might be a tad pretentious but the people I met there were all really nice and down to earth. Kingston and Goldsmiths are pretty much tied in second place and it would be genuinely hard to choose between them (if, by some miracle, I was offered a place at both). I'm rambling a bit. :rolleyes:

How about you?

Hey! I'm also applying to Slade, Goldsmiths and Brighton, as well as CSM and Glasgow. I think I'll just be happy to get a place at all, considering how competitive it is! I've already started planning my gap year just in case..... Are you guys on a foundation course?
Original post by WhoKnew107
Hey! I'm also applying to Slade, Goldsmiths and Brighton, as well as CSM and Glasgow. I think I'll just be happy to get a place at all, considering how competitive it is! I've already started planning my gap year just in case..... Are you guys on a foundation course?

Yes, I'm on a foundation course at the moment. Totally regretting it though. The course is awful and I'd have been much better off just going it alone. All my portfolio work was done on my own time anyway. I'm also considering taking a gap year if I don't get into Slade, Goldsmiths or Kingston. They're my top three, but as Brighton and Chelsea are just as competitive I might not get in there either. :rolleyes:
I'm also applying for slade, I am a little worried about how to arrange my portfolio, I have a friend in her last year of Fine art in Chelsea and she told me to have my portfolio with a white background and not to do double sided pages, any opinions about that and of how many pages should I do, I have planned 12 pages with no double sided sheets.
Reply 5
Original post by FelipeChavezArt
I'm also applying for slade, I am a little worried about how to arrange my portfolio, I have a friend in her last year of Fine art in Chelsea and she told me to have my portfolio with a white background and not to do double sided pages, any opinions about that and of how many pages should I do, I have planned 12 pages with no double sided sheets.

I'd say your friend is definitely right about having a white background with no double sides, it looks a lot more professional and it's easier to go through. There is no way all the work I want to show will fit onto 12 pages so I'm definitely going to have much more, probably nearer to 25! That's what most of them ask for I think. I've got an interview at Glasgow and they're asking for 25 pieces of work as well as sketchbooks. Are you doing a foundation course? They're very helpful with portfolio advice.

Yeah, I agree with WhoKnew107. Single sides on white is definitely the way to go. I'm also going to be submitting around 20 pieces but only put in what you feel is your best work. Don't put things in just because you think you need more. I think Slade said around 15 - 20 pieces at the open day though.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Goldsmiths still haven't asked me for a mini portfolio. Hope they haven't forgotten about me. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Goldsmiths still haven't asked me for a mini portfolio. Hope they haven't forgotten about me. :s-smilie:

I thought everyone had to send one? Maybe call up and check?
I thought everyone had to send one? Maybe call up and check?

I think I will. Have you already sent yours then?
Reply 11

Not yet, it's due on the 14th with an essay. I'm bit worried about that! And that's the same week as slade portfolio hand in and Glasgow interview so I'll probably have to get it in next week
Reply 12

Hi, having the same problem- haven't heard anything from Goldsmiths, (or wimbledon for that matter) apart from a glitch-ridden email where they got my name wrong...

Had a look at your flickr btw, fantastic work. Weirdly though, we've both done something Ice-related as a piece. Applied to pretty much the same places too!
Original post by Zoeah
Hi, having the same problem- haven't heard anything from Goldsmiths, (or wimbledon for that matter) apart from a glitch-ridden email where they got my name wrong...

Had a look at your flickr btw, fantastic work. Weirdly though, we've both done something Ice-related as a piece. Applied to pretty much the same places too!

Strange.
I sent Goldsmiths an e-mail as there wasn't a number, but if they don't reply by Tuesday, there must be a general admissions number I can call. I got one of those wrong name e-mails too. :rolleyes:

Thank you. :smile: Do you have a flickr or online portfolio of some sort? I'd love to have a look.
Reply 14
Strange.
I sent Goldsmiths an e-mail as there wasn't a number, but if they don't reply by Tuesday, there must be a general admissions number I can call. I got one of those wrong name e-mails too. :rolleyes:

Thank you. :smile: Do you have a flickr or online portfolio of some sort? I'd love to have a look.

Sounds like a good idea, might have to do the same!

Yeah, sure- here's my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/115543817@N06/

also, do you know if the slade has a list of portfolio requirements?- eg limit number of pieces etc?
Original post by Zoeah

also, do you know if the slade has a list of portfolio requirements?- eg limit number of pieces etc?

You're work is amazing! It looks very professional. Clearly we both like ice and latex. :smile:
Slade don't specify how many pieces to put in, but I think they said around 15 - 20 pieces at the open day, maybe up to 25. Their emphasis was definitely on finished work. This is from their website:

Students living in the UK should submit one portfolio comprising a selection of current and recent work which may include drawings, photographs, paintings on paper or board (but not stretched canvases), sketchbooks and notebooks. Larger paintings or 3D works should be shown as photographic prints. Videos or films should be in QuickTime on DVD. A showreel of five minutes’ duration is recommended for these. Each piece of work should be named and dated and where work is reproduced the dimensions of the original should be provided. The portfolio may include coursework, for example from A'level or Foundation, but should also include self-initiated work. The portfolio must not measure more than 40”x30” (100cm x 75cm) and must not weigh more than 12kg. Work will not be accepted unless packaged in a durable portfolio. Do not exceed the maximum size and weight. Complete the Portfolio Label and attach it to the outside of your portfolio. Do not stick it to the wrapping paper or the inside of the portfolio.

Those are the only specifications they give.
Reply 16
Original post by Zoeah

Wow your work is great! I love the Skin Studies triptych. Really cool.
I have an ePortfolio but I'm a bit hesitant to post the link online but if anyone wants to see I'll happily send a private message link to it.

Also I realised I also haven't heard anything from Goldsmiths about how to send the e portfolio, hopefully they'll send us some info soon!
Wow your work is great! I love the Skin Studies triptych. Really cool.
I have an ePortfolio but I'm a bit hesitant to post the link online but if anyone wants to see I'll happily send a private message link to it.

Also I realised I also haven't heard anything from Goldsmiths about how to send the e portfolio, hopefully they'll send us some info soon!

I'd love to see your work if you're happy to send me a link. I can understand why you might not want to post it publicly.
Goldsmiths haven't replied to my e-mail but I might hold of on phoning as no one seems to have been sent any information yet.
Reply 18
Thank you so much! I'd love to see your work btw, if you don't mind sending me a link?

I don't know of anyone receiving info from goldsmiths yet, maybe sit tight a bit longer I reckon?
Reply 19
I've sent you both a link! I'm not sure if it will work or not - doing it from my phone.

Quick Reply

Latest