The Student Room Group

Is it possible to have a healthy relationship when you have mental health problems?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
I've just been told buy someone I really like that they won't go out with me because they can't cope with my issues. Has anyone else been told this? Anyone in happy, healthy relationships where either you or your partner (or both) have mental health issues?

I'm in a relationship, I have MH issues (Anxiety and OCD) and my partner has had MH issues in the past (Anxiety and OCD). So we understand one another I guess. It is harder now I have my issues but we've been going out a year and 3 months and we are happy. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have depression, and my boyfriend doesn't and has never had MH problems, so it can be a struggle with not quite being able to relate to each other. There have been several times when I've nearly worn him out with my depressing texts and low moods, but he tries his best to always stay supportive. He's told me before that one of his best friends had depression in the past and he supported him a lot through it, so at least he does have experience of a loved one with MH issues.

Quick Reply

Latest