The Student Room Group

Organic Chemistry

I'm doing some organic chemistry questions and I am stuck.
Here are the questions:

1)State the physical properties of Alkenes that allow them to be separated from a mixture by fractional distillation?

2)Name a branches Isomer of Pent-1-ene?

3) A use of ethene?

4)What are the positional Isomers of :
Propan-1-ol
Pent-2-ene
1-Chloropropane?

5) One type of useful solid material that could be formed from alkenes?

Thank you very much! Please reference your answers with the number of the question so I know which question each answer belongs to! Thanks Guys!
Original post by samuelum1
Here are the questions:

1)State the physical properties of Alkenes that allow them to be separated from a mixture by fractional distillation?

3) A use of ethene?

Propan-1-ol
Pent-2-ene
1-Chloropropane?

Thank you very much! Please reference your answers with the number of the question so I know which question each answer belongs to! Thanks Guys!

1. Boiling point. Read over the process if you don't understand it.

2. Hint: you could have a cyclic compound (not sure if methylcyclobutane counts as a branched molecule, so literally draw out the alkene, and move one of the methyl groups to make a branch)

3. Pretty sure you can name a use.

4. In each of them, move the position of the functional group. My suggestion is to draw it out first then work it out

5. Hint: think about polymers
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by samuelum1
Here are the questions:

3) A use of ethene?

Propan-1-ol
Pent-2-ene
1-Chloropropane?

1) Alkenes have double bonds. Also, there are different intermolecular forces that are present between alkenes, such as VDW. Different chain lengths, and branched alkenes have different boiling points as a result of the varied amount of Inter molecular forces. This allows alkenes to be separated (mixtures of alkenes) via fractional distillation

2) 3-methylbut-1-ene; methyl groups are often the first things i think about changing around when a question asks for branches

3) google?

4) not sure :0

5) polymers, can be made from the addition polymerisation of alkenes. Such as PTFE, aka Teflon. It is made from an 1,2-tetrafluoroethene

There are many more, that aren't only polymers. The chemguide is really useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest