The Student Room Group

Am I at a disadvantage?

Currently in Y12 but want to retake the year and do new subjects, so technically I will be doing my A Levels over 3 years, but only because of subject changes, and NOT retakes/bad grades.

Will I be at a disadvantage when applying to RG uni's?

Reply 1
No, as long as it is clearly explained in your reference and you don't take the same subjects.

I resat the year and have offers from Bristol and Nottingham (so far)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2

I just accidentally quoted myself...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ross95
No, as long as it is clearly explained in your reference and you don't take the same subjects.

I resat the year and have offers from Bristol and Nottingham (so far)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh well that is a relief. Were you in the same or similar situation to me?

Congrats on your offers! :biggrin:
Original post by Arturo09
Currently in Y12 but want to retake the year and do new subjects, so technically I will be doing my A Levels over 3 years, but only because of subject changes, and NOT retakes/bad grades.

Will I be at a disadvantage when applying to RG uni's?

Nope, I resat my entire AS year because of bad subject choices and grades.

I am now doing my A2's and have recieved offers from KCL, Durham, Leeds and Exeter :smile:

Trust me I know how it feels, your'e over reacting :wink:

BUT, I did get rejected by LSE.
I'm just being honest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by DeemzBeamz
Nope, I resat my entire AS year because of bad subject choices and grades.

I am now doing my A2's and have recieved offers from KCL, Durham, Leeds and Exeter :smile:

Trust me I know how it feels, your'e over reacting :wink:

BUT, I did get rejected by LSE.
I'm just being honest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great news! :biggrin:

But one thing, did the uni's you applied to ask for higher grades to entry becuase you sat A Levels over 3 years? for example if a typical offer was ABB did they ask for AAB or even AAA?

That has really reassured me and congrats on your offers! :biggrin:
That's great news! :biggrin:

But one thing, did the uni's you applied to ask for higher grades to entry becuase you sat A Levels over 3 years? for example if a typical offer was ABB did they ask for AAB or even AAA?

That has really reassured me and congrats on your offers! :biggrin:

No, in fact Leeds lowered their offer from AAB for IR to BBB because of the Access to Leeds scheme which THEY automatically entered me for :smile: I just have to firm it for that offer to be implicated.

Also, Exeter says the standard offers given to applicants for IR are AAA-AAB, again my offer was the lower AAB, I was flagged due to my disadvantaged background.

So no, it didn't affect my application in any way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
So long as your not applying for medicine , and even then you can still make it work !
Here's screen shots for the offers from Leeds and Exeter.

Seriously don't worry, unless you're going to apply for medicine or dentistry, you shouldn't worry.

Yes, certain institutions will take it into account and will certainly see it as a weakness, but these are the very top universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by DeemzBeamz
Here's screen shots for the offers from Leeds and Exeter.

Seriously don't worry, unless you're going to apply for medicine or dentistry, you shouldn't worry.

Yes, certain institutions will take it into account and will certainly see it as a weakness, but these are the very top universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good on your offers, and yeah I was never planning to apply for dentistry or medicine aha, but more the biological sciences route, it's just im currently not taking biology or chemistry this year due to my school being difficult so im having to retake y12 again -__-
Reply 10
Original post by wtpcarr
So long as your not applying for medicine , and even then you can still make it work !

Was not planning for medicine or dentistry so that's a relief :biggrin:
Reply 11
Ahh well that is a relief. Were you in the same or similar situation to me?

Congrats on your offers! :biggrin:

I got CCDE in my first set of AS, AAAC 2nd time round. First set weren't certificated though so unis technically don't know what I got, but i assume they can have a good guess :tongue:

Also reading above posts, my offers were "typical" and weren't bumped up a grade :smile:

Thanks and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by ross95
I got CCDE in my first set of AS, AAAC 2nd time round. First set weren't certificated though so unis technically don't know what I got, but i assume they can have a good guess :tongue:

Also reading above posts, my offers were "typical" and weren't bumped up a grade :smile:

Thanks and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, was wondering if they were typical, but a some people in the same situation as me have been saying they are getting "higher than the typical offers" so I just needed to find out if this was the case for most people :O

Thanks and same to you to!

Quick Reply

Latest