The Student Room Group

East Coast Trains

Hi,

I've recently been let go from a fantastic part-time job at Boots (Eldon Square). It was a temporary position but it was hinted heavily that there would be a part-time position for me come January, which unfortunately never materialised. I'm currently 17 years old, doing A2s.

I found a perfect vacancy for me, in terms of availability, at East Coast Trains (On-board customer service) and was wondering if anyone had any experience of working there? I know they only employ 18+ due to the sale of alcohol but I'm turning 18 in 5 weeks so I've applied anyway since I'll be 18 before my actual start.

It'd be really nice to get some insight about the recruitment process, specifically the selection day and induction course at York Training Academy et cetera.

I'd also like some details about the interview, and what the pay rate is for 18 year olds.

Thanks in advance for any info at all! :smile:

Joseph.
Not sure, but you'll get free travel for all East Coast trains! Unfortunately, now that all trains are owned by independent and different companies, you will only get East Coast trains for free. But that's still awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
Not sure, but you'll get free travel for all East Coast trains! Unfortunately, now that all trains are owned by independent and different companies, you will only get East Coast trains for free. But that's still awesome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Free?! Seriously?! I need to sit down after hearing that :eek:. Awesome! :smile:
Yep! My mum used to work for national rail after she left school, back then when trains were all owned by the same line. Then workers got a free pass for every single train, they still can use it for any train to this day. But people who were hired after the trains went private, could only get free trains for the company they work for (east coast, for instance). But it's still pretty good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
Yep! My mum used to work for national rail after she left school, back then when trains were all owned by the same line. Then workers got a free pass for every single train, they still can use it for any train to this day. But people who were hired after the trains went private, could only get free trains for the company they work for (east coast, for instance). But it's still pretty good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good, I did read about "travel concessions" in the job description but I didn't mean it meant that! :colone:

Does anyone else have an information that might be useful to me about the recruitment process? I'm guessing it's not a massively popular employer for students but there must be someone :tongue:

Cheers!
Reply 5
Just going to give this a light nudge, have we any TSR members who are employed by East Coast? Preferably customer service - just to give some insight into the recruitment process, interviews, selection events et cetera.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Just to add an update, I have received a few emails from someone at East Coast inviting me to a video interview:

Hello

Thank you for your interest in the On Board CSA position.

The next stage of our application process is to complete a short video interview.

You will soon receive an email from Sonru containing a link to the interview and instructions. To complete the interview, you will need access to an internet connection, web cam and microphone, similar to programmes such as Skype. Those with iPads or iPhones can download the Sonru Record app free of charge from the App Store and complete the interview on their devices.

We appreciate this may sound quite a daunting experience but it is very user friendly and Sonru have a support desk on hand for any questions you may have.

Good luck!

Kind regards
Becky

So basically, you open this web app and it asks you questions and you have to record answers, while the time ticks away! All very scary!

There was no mention of a video interview on their recruitment advice page! I'm not holding out much hope, but does anyone have any experience of the video interview with East Coast? For example which questions they are going ask?

Joseph :smile:
Reply 7
For anyone following this, I did my video interview yesterday! It really isn't as scary as you first think. It asks standard interview questions, but it gives you a whole TWO MINUTES to formulate an answer before it starts recording. I used this time to make a few speaker notes, and as a result it all went really well.

For people wondering about interview questions, well I'm not going to list them out for you (:colone:) but I will say that they want specific examples of competency (i.e give a time when you...).

I must have done alright because I've been invited to an assessment event in York on Monday! Really don't know what to expect, and I'm very nervous, but once it's done I'll report back for anyone else in the same boat :smile:

Thanks!
Joseph.
Reply 8
Another update for anyone following this...

I went along to the assessment event in York on Monday. You're sent a free travel pass and advised to spend some time experiencing customer service with East Coast. Sounds a little cheesy but it's crucial that you do so because the group assessment is based on your experience of East Coast CS!!

As a group of around 8, you'll need to work together to create a presentation on East Coast CS (what was good, what could be improved). This will be presented to assessors which include your potential managers!

After that there's a fairly straightforward competency based interview. It's really important to have concrete examples though since that's the focus of the questions.

Anyway, I guess I did alright because I had an e-mail this morning to say I was successful! The next stage is being contacted by local managers to look at availability, shift patterns et cetera.

Best of luck to anyone applying - if I can do it anyone can :tongue:
Ive just applied for the same role, how you finding the job?
would you please let me know a couple of the questions you were asked as i have my video interview to do and the last time i did an interview was about 20 years ago! i would just like a good idea of what to expect to give me time to prepare as best as possible. Thankyou in advance.
Reply 11
Sorry to bring up old topics..

I went to the assessment centre in York last week Monday for the role of CSA on board kings cross and received an email this friday that I was successful and a line manager will be in contact about potential start dates.

I wondered if anyone knew how long it takes for a line manager to contact you and sort out start dates and training?

Also after you receive an email that your line manager will be in contact is that the final stage or will you have to pass an exam or some sort to finally start?

A reply will be much appreciated
Reply 12
Sorry to bring up old topics..

I went to the assessment centre in York last week Monday for the role of CSA on board kings cross and received an email this friday that I was successful and a line manager will be in contact about potential start dates.

I wondered if anyone knew how long it takes for a line manager to contact you and sort out start dates and training?

Also after you receive an email that your line manager will be in contact is that the final stage or will you have to pass an exam or some sort to finally start?

A reply will be much appreciated !!
Reply 13
@JosephNV
Could you tell me how and when did the line managers contact you after receiving the successfull joining the team email?

I sent an email to Becky at Human Resources, who stated to await till next week as line manager on holiday (email sent last week) as I have not heard back I submitted another email today 12/11 to find out what's happening and when someone will be in contact with me?!
Hi I've got the assessment day on Tuesday and would appreciate any tips on the day I've heard different stories on the group exercise . Has anyone been on one recently ...
Thanks
Sharon

Quick Reply

Latest