The Student Room Group

Can I Ever work for the Big 4 with a 2:2 ?

I have come to terms with the fact I will probably get a 2:2 this year, abit depressing but oh well.

If I manage to get a graduate job in accounting with a small firm or public sector. After I qualify as an accountant in 3 or 4 years, will I then be able to apply to work for the Big 4 in advisory or corporate finance?

or I am resigned to the fact of earning mid £20,000s for the rest of my 20s and young adult life.
Reply 1
Of course you can, just have faith :smile:
Reply 2
Pgceeeeeee
Reply 3
Original post by r_u_jelly

thanks, but dont all good job requires 2:1 ? to even apply let alone get accepted
Reply 4
For those with a degree, a 2:1 has been a prerequisite for Big 4 firms for many years now. I have known exceptions but these have been exceptionally rare and always with extenuating circumstances. This is why I tell accounting hopefuls not to get a degree and go through the school leavers programme whenever possible; university can potentially slam a very lucrative door in your face if you don't do well enough.

A 2:2 is not the end of the line but both your options require a fair bit of grafting. My situation is slightly different in that I got the first class honours degree to get into a big 4 firm but was then remarkably stupid and lazy enough to fail an early hurdle paper! Once you've failed a graduate scheme you won't get into another one and as such I have a fair idea of what you need to do to 'catch up.'

You need to do one of three things. You could find a small (and I mean small, no one in the top 20 will want someone with a 2:2 without extenuating circumstances) accountancy practice that will provide you a training contract. You would then have to graft hard, qualify and maybe have a shot at joining the Big 4 as an experienced hire. Another option is to find an entry level job in any business with an accounting function and do AAT whilst you're there. The Big 4 still won't take you after this but a reasonable sized accountancy firm might and later on you could become an experienced hire. The third option is to go on to do Manchester Metropolitan's accountancy degree in collaboration with the ICAEW. If you do this you'll essentially foot all your training costs and might be attractive to a Big 4 firm at the end of it.

For myself, I don't really understand the Big 4 allure because I guess I've worked there. I do know that ACAs from the Big 4 can command big salaries but, without wanting to sound arrogant, 8 years on I'm earning the same if not more than the people I was meant to qualify with. There are firms who will train you at least equally well if not better; you might not get onto their graduate schemes but there are entry level administrative jobs and you can work your way up like I did.
Original post by James222
I have come to terms with the fact I will probably get a 2:2 this year, abit depressing but oh well.

If I manage to get a graduate job in accounting with a small firm or public sector. After I qualify as an accountant in 3 or 4 years, will I then be able to apply to work for the Big 4 in advisory or corporate finance?

or I am resigned to the fact of earning mid £20,000s for the rest of my 20s and young adult life.

There is no reason that you should have to earn mid 20s for your "young adult life". If you can get chartered at a smaller firm and then move into industry there's no reason you can't earn the same as Big 4 leavers.
Reply 6
probably not on grad entry but a move later on in your career is definitely possible :biggrin:
Reply 7
Should have worked harder!
Reply 8
There is no reason that you should have to earn mid 20s for your "young adult life". If you can get chartered at a smaller firm and then move into industry there's no reason you can't earn the same as Big 4 leavers.

I'm afraid that is often not true. A lot of employers pay a premium for Big 4 experience. You don't necessarily need it at the start of your career but if you can get 3 solid years of Big 4 experience before you're 30 it will help a lot. Also, if you want to work abroad, it's a huge boost to your prospects.

However, what is also true is that you can earn a very nice salary as an ACA from any firm. Also, there's no hard and fast rule. Whilst Big 4 qualified accountants tend to earn more an exceptional accountant from another firm can still match them in salary. However, it's much easier to demonstrate your credentials with a Big 4 name on your CV.
Original post by AW1983
I'm afraid that is often not true. A lot of employers pay a premium for Big 4 experience. You don't necessarily need it at the start of your career but if you can get 3 solid years of Big 4 experience before you're 30 it will help a lot. Also, if you want to work abroad, it's a huge boost to your prospects.

However, what is also true is that you can earn a very nice salary as an ACA from any firm. Also, there's no hard and fast rule. Whilst Big 4 qualified accountants tend to earn more an exceptional accountant from another firm can still match them in salary. However, it's much easier to demonstrate your credentials with a Big 4 name on your CV.

I understand that it will be easier coming from a Big 4, and some companies will only accept them. But I've also seen a lot of NQ job adverts which simply specify ACA/CA/whatever others they want to accept, so if you are a strong candidate with first time passes I don't see why not.
Reply 10
They're a lot less blatant about it in the UK market certainly. But if you look at the overseas job advertisements of multinational firms that recruit in the UK, you will notice a lot say 'Big 4.' Certainly, the ACA is sufficient but against a Big 4 candidate you will struggle (again, no hard and fast rule but this is the general trend).
Reply 11
Original post by AW1983
x.

Original post by r_u_jelly

Original post by AW1983
x.

Original post by Hedgeman49
x

Original post by Kutta
probably not on grad entry but a move later on in your career is definitely possible :biggrin:

Thanks everyone guess the outlook is not that bleak :biggrin:

Original post by TheBigJosh
Should have worked harder!

Well I am where I am, nothing I can do about that, and believe me I have been working hard.
Reply 12
I think you're overlooking the fact that practically no one hires you on the basis of your degree.
Original post by jj193
I think you're overlooking the fact that practically no one hires you on the basis of your degree.

At graduate job level? Of course they do
Reply 14
At graduate job level? Of course they do

Ok, where?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jj193
Ok, where?

Everywhere with a 2:1 requirement?
Reply 16
Everywhere with a 2:1 requirement?

Yes, but they don't hire you on the basis of achieving a 2:1 - it's just a requirement to be considered for the role. How many people qualified people apply for each place at a big 4? I imagine it's anything from 10-400 depending on the role and intake. That's a pretty tough selection to say the least.
Reply 17
Original post by jj193
Yes, but they don't hire you on the basis of achieving a 2:1 - it's just a requirement to be considered for the role. How many people qualified people apply for each place at a big 4? I imagine it's anything from 10-400 depending on the role and intake. That's a pretty tough selection to say the least.

Are you, erm. joking?

Nobody is saying it's the only requirement, but you're going to struggle to land a graduate job without graduating. Therefore your overlooking comment doesn't really make sense in the context of this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending