The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Is the social life at King's crap?

All of the halls seem to be spread out and I can't find any info on things to do other than societies.
Second-year King's student here. No, the social life is definitely not crap.

If you're imagining that King's is a tight-knit community like a university on a small campus, you've got the wrong idea. Yes, it's spread out across central London - that's its appeal! The result is that each halls has its own community and its own events, as well as combining for general events. King's students are independent and we (or at least everyone I've met) enjoy finding our own events too. It's not as if KCL freshers events are the only parties happening in London.

Hampstead is the only halls which is far out, and it has a thriving social life because of that - most of the most hardcore partying freshers I met last year lived at Hampstead. All the other halls are reasonably close together in Zone 1.

In my first year the big freshers' opening party was at Ministry of Sound, which was great, and there followed a week of events at the Coronet, Roxy, you name it. After that, there are events weekly at the Waterfront Bar and Walkabout (which is right by Strand Campus). Otherwise, most King's students prefer to find their own entertainment once the first flush of freshers is over. The best bit of being in central London is picking your own pubs and clubs, rather than going along with whatever the Student Union chooses, right?

Also, I'm not surprised you're not finding any information about freshers' events - it's January! The information about societies is there all year round because so are the societies (which incidentally are numerous and a lot of fun to join). If you get an offer from King's, start looking for freshers' info in August, when events will pop up all over the place. Trust me, they're worth waiting for!

Essentially, the social life at King's is very much London-based rather than university-based, but that's how we like it.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by aplaceforflowers
Second-year King's student here. No, the social life is definitely not crap.

If you're imagining that King's is a tight-knit community like a university on a small campus, you've got the wrong idea. Yes, it's spread out across central London - that's its appeal! The result is that each halls has its own community and its own events, as well as combining for general events. King's students are independent and we (or at least everyone I've met) enjoy finding our own events too. It's not as if KCL freshers events are the only parties happening in London.

Hampstead is the only halls which is far out, and it has a thriving social life because of that - most of the most hardcore partying freshers I met last year lived at Hampstead. All the other halls are reasonably close together in Zone 1.

In my first year the big freshers' opening party was at Ministry of Sound, which was great, and there followed a week of events at the Coronet, Roxy, you name it. After that, there are events weekly at the Waterfront Bar and Walkabout (which is right by Strand Campus). Otherwise, most King's students prefer to find their own entertainment once the first flush of freshers is over. The best bit of being in central London is picking your own pubs and clubs, rather than going along with whatever the Student Union chooses, right?

Also, I'm not surprised you're not finding any information about freshers' events - it's January! The information about societies is there all year round because so are the societies (which incidentally are numerous and a lot of fun to join). If you get an offer from King's, start looking for freshers' info in August, when events will pop up all over the place. Trust me, they're worth waiting for!

Essentially, the social life at King's is very much London-based rather than university-based, but that's how we like it.

You've made me feel very positive about firming King's. Thank you.
Original post by Wild Nothing
You've made me feel very positive about firming King's. Thank you.

What course are you doing?
Original post by tarhuni
What course are you doing?

Religion, philosophy and ethics :smile:
Hello!

I'm a third year King's student, currently on my year abroad. I was actually in King's College Hall in my first year (doesn't exist anymore!) which was a bit further out too, and all the other halls thought that it would be really boring but actually we had our own bar and the hall organised a lot of events.
There is a lot going on in freshers to suit all kinds of tastes. Obviously there are a lot of student nights at clubs, but there are also events for different courses, sports meetings, quizzes, WI meetings, you name it. Throughout the rest of the year there is much of the same as well as a long of student nights organised by other companies. Personally I don't go to student nights because I don't like the music they tend to play, I like to go to places like Fabric or other big clubs. That's the great thing about London, there's so much choice and I think you can have as much or as little of a social life as you like.
It's not crap. It just suffers from London syndrome. Sure, you won't get that campus experience, but there's still plenty going on.
Not at all actually. Complete opposite I’ve been told.

Source: close to someone that goes there
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
I do hope it's better than the boredom of RHUL

Quick Reply

Latest